Shimano spinning reel annoyance

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano spinning reel annoyance

Post by setsail26 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:35 am

I have had several Shimano spinning reels recently that have a noticeable play in the handle. This is when turning the handle, not in and out play, but rather in a radial direction. I don't mind a little play, but with the newer reel there seems to be a hard end point to the play and I can feel it click when I have turning the handle. Of the reels I own, a stradic FK, a stradic cI4+ FB, and a 2018 Cardiff all do this. Most of the ones I have turned in the store do it as well. My twin power and ultegra don't have the click that I can feel. I have read that putting a shim in the pinion will help, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I suspect the answer is "they all do that," but since I can feel it and it is bothersome, what can I do to improve it? Thanks for any help.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano spinning reel annoyance

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:45 am

A little play is normal and needed with any ring and pinion type gear. Yes they can be adjusted, but due to tolerances in the frames, gears, bearings, etc there can be play. Adjusting the gears with shims is not something I would recommend for the beginner.

Each reel model has a set of specifications for play in the gears. The only one's I see that have excessive play are reels that have been well used. The surfaces of the gears can and do wear. Over time the space will grow between the drive and pinion. Typically at that point we replace the gears.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks for your reply. As I find the handle play bothersome, I need to try something to improve it. Is the best option to tighten this up to put a shim on the pinion? Would this go at the bottom of the pinion where there is already a small washer? Thanks for your help. Yes, I'm sure I could screw things up by attempting this, but I am willing to give it a go on at least one reel.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 am

setsail26 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 am
Is the best option to tighten this up to put a shim on the pinion? Would this go at the bottom of the pinion where there is already a small washer?
I'd say no. I have never seen anyone put a shim washer on the pinion of a spinning reel. They go on the main drive gear and change its position within the reel in relation to the pinion.

As Bantam1 said... shim tolerances are for those trained to do it as Shimano engineers designed it. OTC end users can play with it, but there is only one right way...
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:06 am

The shim is only for the drive gear. This adjusts the drive gear depth into the pinion gear. Adding a shim to the pinion will change the position of the pinion slightly and it is not advised.

If you have never tried to adjust a spinning reel I would advise you not to attempt it. Spinning reels can be complex. Sometimes a super thin shim of .01mm is enough to make the reel tight, or make the gears feel poorly. Incorrect spacing can also cause noise from the gears.

The schematic shows shims, but it is a starting point. Due to tolerances in production with the gears, frame, side plate, etc parts need to be adjusted. This includes the worm shaft as well. Some of the newer reels use the shim on the outside of the bearing now instead of on the drive gear itself. The new Stella is this way for example.

If you are unhappy and feel the play is excessive I suggest sending the reels in to our repair department. This will probably be the best course of action. If the reel meets factory spec we will let you know.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:12 am

Thanks for the advice. I shimmed the main gear, and of course I can either get it too loose or too tight. I will seek professional help before I screw it up any more.