Chronarch D one way clutch roller bearing

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Chronarch D one way clutch roller bearing

Post by Riverguy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:25 am

Have a chronarch that Possibly has a bad one (I dont have the reel in hand). Looking at the schematic it only shows the side plate itself. As the reel isnt listed for parts on the website- I assume there's some commonality and I can order this bearing. I dont THINK the core, which is still on the website- had the bearing itself either... It's the D7 101, dumb question but I'm sure the righties and lefties are the same, just oriented opposite ways 😁.

Any help sourcing this bearing?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch D one way clutch roller bearing

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:51 pm

I just pulled up the schematic for CH101D7. In your reel the AR is press fit into the right side plate BNT 4027 and is not generally end user replaceable. Shimano wants the entire side plate replaced with new AR bearing.

That being said, in the shop sometimes due to unavailability of parts we sometimes have to attempt AR removal and replacement, but doing so could damage both AR bearing and side plate if not done correctly. I did one of these within the last couple of weeks, so it can be done, but must be done carefully.

If the AR bearing is physically broken is another story...

These bearings don't usually go bad. Try cleaning it out carefully and lube it with a tiny drop of light oil and wipe off any excess oil. All that bearing needs is a vapor thin coat of oil to keep it from rusting. The oil is not for lubrication really but for corrosion control. Those bearings work fine dry but will rust.

Don't use grease as it is not brand recommended and can gum up the needle bearing preventing normal operation.

If that does not work, then let's go into replacement...

Most AR bearings can be rehabilitated and get many more years out of them.

***Just checked ebay and a couple of other sources... no side plates for this reel are to be found. Out of production. Check with Shimano and see if they still have any but I doubt it. More than likely you will have to try- or a service tech will- try and rehab the bearing in the side plate, and as a last resort attempt carefully tapping it out and replacing it with a new one. Pay close attention to where the bearing is located before tapping it out. New one must be tapped back in to that same location and depth and polarity. And yes, the AR bearings should be the same for either the righty or lefty, just turned around the other way is all.

And when if you attempt an AR removal from that side plate, be careful how you do it. Don't use the side plate for support. Use a carefully fitted socket or round device that will carry the load all the way around the outside of the bearing itself. Hammering on the AR using the side plate as a support could damage the side plate itself. Use round support directly around outside of AR bearing bearing tapping it out smoothly and evenly making sure the punch you use covers the entire metal jacket. Don't tap on side of the bearing and then the other. One punch across face of AR bearing for straight movement out of side plate.

Sometimes we have to do things Shimano does not want us to do, but sometimes it is the only way to keep these old reels up and running... one of my specialties!

ADDED: The AR bearings Shimano use are not made by Shimano. Shimano buys quality AR bearings from quality bearing companies. In lesser reels, some brands have their own AR bearings and are very cheap and do not hold up. Shimano does not have this problem due to the higher quality of parts they use. This means you can pull the original number directly off an AR bearing and source it from outside Shimano. Not sure if I am allowed to say that, but there it is... I have to do it all the time anyway... and the last time I think I ordered them I bought like 10 of them for $12.00 with free shipping. But you gotta know your parts and how to find them... and I just gave up the secret... otherwise pack it up and send it in to Shimano! Or a factory authorized service center... avoid the shade tree mechanics that you find out there on brand non-compliant forums.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

steez_12
Angler
Angler

Post by steez_12 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:37 pm

There are a couple of part numbers for that anti-reverse bearing. BNT 2949 and BNT 2396. Both will fit. I believe the 2949 is the ARB version. You're correct that it's the same part for right handed versions. It's just oriented the opposite way.

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:19 am

Guys, thank you very much! I'll know for sure once I get my mitts on it, just wanted to gather the data. I appreciate everything

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:25 am

BNT2949 is the correct part number for the bearing.