Pinion 3-Washer Question

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pinion 3-Washer Question

Post by brownhl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Do the three really thin washers for the pinion bearing in the Chronarchs go on top or the bottom of the bearing, or doesn't it make any difference? Thanks much. The schematic shows them on top, but my new MGL has them on the bottom.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pinion 3-Washer Question

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:00 pm

brownhl wrote:Do the three really thin washers for the pinion bearing in the Chronarchs go on top or the bottom of the bearing, or doesn't it make any difference? Thanks much. The schematic shows them on top, but my new MGL has them on the bottom.
I just checked the schematic for the CHMGL150HG and it shows them on top of the bearing clearly. Put bearing in frame and then those 3 washers.

That bearing is meant for a specific "movement" space on the pinion gear as it moves in and out, and should be assembled exactly as the schematic shows.

Putting those shim washers under the bearing shifts its location space on the pinion gear to where it should not be- though it will work that way, not ideal. Follow the schematic and you can't go wrong.

No idea why you would find a reel new? assembled wrong.

My opinion and .02 cents on it...
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 am

Mistakes can happen, but the shims are used to adjust for tolerance during production. There can be minor differences in pocket depths since these are typically cut after the frame has been made. They should go on top, but it really shouldn't affect performance if they are on top , or the bottom.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:19 am

Thanks to all for the information.