Aldebaran MGL

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Aldebaran MGL

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:54 am

I'm not sure when this reel was released, but I'm assuming it was sometime during 2018. Anyway, I just returned from the Sacramento ISE sport show. I asked the Shimano rep if he had a Aldebaran MGL that I could look at. He handed me a Aldbaran, but it didn't say MGL. He said it was the most recent model and that the weight (4.8 oz) hadn't changed.

Has the Aldebaran MGL already been replaced or did I get a Shimano rep that didn't know what he was talking about?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Aldebaran MGL

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 am

tacklejunkie2 wrote:I'm not sure when this reel was released, but I'm assuming it was sometime during 2018. Anyway, I just returned from the Sacramento ISE sport show. I asked the Shimano rep if he had a Aldebaran MGL that I could look at. He handed me a Aldbaran, but it didn't say MGL. He said it was the most recent model and that the weight (4.8 oz) hadn't changed.

Has the Aldebaran MGL already been replaced or did I get a Shimano rep that didn't know what he was talking about?
Had to be an accident. If you remember the spool, the older one had the black/goldish accents spool and the new MGL spool is shallow, black with silverish accents at the ported holes. The weight didn't really change though, that is correct.

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 am

MGL should have been on the spool tension knob....

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 am

Aldebaran MGL was launched at ICAST last year. The only place it says MGL is on the cast control knob. The color changed as well.