Calais dc brass gears?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Smelter96
Angler
Angler

Calais dc brass gears?

Post by Smelter96 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Does anyone know if the brass Calais 200A gear set would fit in a Calais 200dc?

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Calais dc brass gears?

Post by Zimbass » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:03 pm

I never tried, but do not believe it is possible. The brass gear from the 200A is smaller in diameter and thicker.

Would be interested to know if there is a brass alternative, as I replace more DC main gear and pinion gears on these than any other reel.

Cheers,

Terry.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:53 am

There is non available that I know of as I have researched the gear set for the Calais DC extensively myself - well in Aus anyhow with the assistance of Shimano Aus.

Ive bought a few spares (main and pinions) for the future (for both of my DC & 201 LV7) and using a ceramic based grease for the brass on aluminium gearset with promising results thus far for smooth winding and longevity in my case with an already buzzy set of original gears (just waiting till they go total bad) - its an old reel now by any measure, but surely Shimano Japan would've known that such an excellently made and expensive reel would have a longer than normal running life and they would've thought about it and made a longer lasting / better wearing / durab gear set for this reel, or even go as far as to use the coating off the Stella main gear than a clear anodised finish that it has...

It would be nice to get a brass micromodule gearset for it though, or even a straightforward toothed gearset of a low ratio 5.0:1, that would suit me best for our fishing over here. I plainly believe the Calais DC (20X7) is also a far nicer reel to even look at than the later reincarnations of its Calais namesake, even if mine could be considered the hardest to look at Calais DC in existence I still rate it pretty high...

If anyone wants to swap details on gearset compatibility or build a bit of a database on what could* work in these DC's please let me know.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 am

Calais and Calais DC gears will not interchange. The drive gear is aluminum and to my knowledge there are no other drive gears that will fit. I tried a few and none were correct.