Noisy Curado 201HG's

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Noisy Curado 201HG's

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:06 pm

I've got 2 of these reels I've done complete tear downs and cleanings on, and they are both very noisy on the retrieve. I noticed some signs of rust in and around the A/R roller. I'm guessing this could be the cause of the noise? I did replace the frame bearing under the drive shaft on one of them and it didn't have any effect. When I press the clutch bar(button) and spin the spool with my thumb all is quiet.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Noisy Curado 201HG's

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Noise is hard to diagnose over a web forum. Does it have a squeak, a growl, gear sound?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:03 pm

More than likely the pinion bearings are bad. Every one that I have come accross, that was the noise. From now on, every Shimano that I service gets new ones whether they need it or not.
<")))><{

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:47 pm

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, pop the ARB out and run it through in a small container of Simple Green/water or Dawn/water and see what comes out. If it’s pretty rusty, it’s probably pitted and may feel rough on retrieve.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, pop the ARB out and run it through in a small container of Simple Green/water or Dawn/water and see what comes out. If it’s pretty rusty, it’s probably pitted and may feel rough on retrieve.

I recently ran into the same issue on an Aldebaran MGL 31 where the ARB bearing is not as smooth as it used to be when it was new with the occasional squeak. I don't see any visual signs of rust on the rollers, but I am wondering if @bantam1 could comment on using an ultrasonic cleaner to flush out the ARB?

I noticed in this thread that a special mixture of drag grease and oil is used to lubricate the ARB's: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... rb#p520185

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The noise is not a high pitched squeak but more like rough sandpaper rubbing on something. I changed the x-ship bearing and this didn't seem to make any difference. Now the only thing I can see making the noise is the bearing underneath the clutch cam retainer or the One way roller clutch. I wish I had all the parts on hand to check things like this when I initially took the reel apart, unfortunately I don't. Is the frame bearing underneath the clutch cam a universal size that fits most shimano low profile reels? If that's the case I might just order 2, since I have about 30 shimano low-pro reels I personally own and will use them eventually. I make no bones about it, I think Shimano are the best reels ever made and I just want to get this guys reels working like I know they can. He sent me some old CH50mg's, CU200D's, and a citica that looks like it's been laying on the bottom of a lake for 20 years and I've got them all tuned up and working like new. When I fix a reel I want it every part of it working as best it can.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:07 am

Typically if the anti reverse bearing has rust we replace it. There is no way to get them 100% clean because of how they are built. The pinion bearing can cause noise. You can remove the pinion gear and use a q-tip to rotate the bearing. You will be able to feel if it is rough. Typically these only have issues when used in saltwater applications and are not kept clean.

I suspect the noise is coming from the AR bearing. This will cause noise when they are corroded.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:52 am

An issue I have had with my own personal Curado i, was it developed a noise that screamed during a cast. This was caused by the spool pin backing out to one side. And as it backed out, it rubbed the inside of the frame.

Re-center the pin in the spool axle, and I have not had the problem since.

Let us know what you find...
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

carter
Angler
Angler

Post by carter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:41 am

Check the pinion gear bearing. I had 3 Curado I's that all exhibited that same rough, scratchy sound on the retrieve only. Not during free spool or during the cast, only on the retrieve. Once I switched them out, the reels were whisper quiet and smooth again. I tried a new set of gears, new spool bearings, main shaft bearing, ARB, etc. Nothing solved it until I replaced the pinion gear bearing.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 am

where you source the pinion bearing from?
Most places are selling spool or knob bearings only.

And one more question, will chronach 50E or citica 200e pinion fit to core 100 ? I am having issue with core 100 being rough on retrieve and gears looks to be in good shape, so I suspect pinon or AR bearing may have a problem?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:04 am

PBP wrote:where you source the pinion bearing from?
Most places are selling spool or knob bearings only.

And one more question, will chronach 50E or citica 200e pinion fit to core 100 ? I am having issue with core 100 being rough on retrieve and gears looks to be in good shape, so I suspect pinon or AR bearing may have a problem?
I buy my frame bearings from Boca Bearings. I love the hybrid ceramic yellow seal ABEC 1 bearings for my frame bearings, they have been very tough to kill in my reels. The pinion bearings are all the same size, so yes they will swap between those reels.

One other problem area we see on a regular basis with saltwater use is the Xship bearing of people that don’t take their cast control caps off after use. Saltwater loves to get in there and ruin that bearing if it sits for any amount of time. Just something to keep in mind, even with freshwater use.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:14 am

If you don’t feel comfortable running an ARB through an ultrasonic, pull the bearing out of the reel and take it apart. The newer ARBs in Shimanos have the plastic cage, and are very easy to disassemble. That plastic cage slides out easily, but be careful not to lose any of the rollers. I did this years ago and posted a walk through on here, and had no issue doing it for the first time. Reassembly has a few headaches as the rollers don’t like to stay in place, but using a twist tie works great to hold them in place temporarily. Now I run them through the ultrasonic instead, much easier, faster and gets them as clean as taking one completely apart.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 pm

The ultra sonic is the way to go, but most people do not have one or access to one. I do not suggest taking apart the roller bearings that we use in some of the newer reels like the Metanium. In reality we don't suggest taking any of them apart.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:40 pm

The older version I never messed with, and could see it causing some headaches, but the new one is pretty simple. What would someone need to do to clean it if they didn’t have an Ultrasonic Cleaner, since you shouldn’t take it apart to get it truly clean? Thanks.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 am

If you are only using the reel in freshwater there is no need to do anything more than wipe it out with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.