Roller Clucth Sleeve??

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Roller Clucth Sleeve??

Post by brownhl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:38 am

Had my Chronarch MGL for 6 months now and used it a lot so I decided to give it a clean and lube. Lo and behold the roller clutch sleeve is frozen on the drive shaft and will not budge and only had it six months. I have lots of Shimanos of various models and have never experienced anything like this. Any tips on how to get it to budge? I stopped trying for fear I would screw something up. Thanks in advance for help.
Last edited by brownhl on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Roller Clutch Sleeve??

Post by brownhl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 am

OOPs, should be Roller Clutch Sleeve.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Roller Clucth Sleeve??

Post by mark poulson » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am

If you bought it new, contact Shimano, or return it for warranty repairs.
If it was used, contact the Tackle Trap to get it repaired. Or give them a call, and ask their reel guy how to do it.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:49 pm

It finally came off. I kept applying ReelX with a needle oiler around the top, let it soak for fifteen minutes and gripped it with my fingers and it came right off. Strangely though the key washer is pretty ragged around the oblong hole which slides down over the drive shaft so bad so that there are little spikes sticking up around the hole and the clutch sleeve doesn't even fit flush to its surface. No, I did not pry on anything to get the sleeve off, it just lifted off with a ReelX soak. Been cleaning and tuning my own Shimano reels for 15 years. Going to order another key washer rather than trying to remove the little metal pieces sticking up and can't believe they are normal. All very weird for a new reel of that quality.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:34 am

Are you using this reel in salt or brackish water?

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:04 am

Fresh water Dan and I discovered the problem with the key washer. As a former tool and die maker before my Army days I could tell something was askew with the hole in the key washer, so I took a careful look at it under a strong magnifying glass and discovered the metal pieces protruding from one side with a strange indentation on the other side, which is an indication that when this key washer went through the punch process to create the hole something went askew resulting in a slightly raggedy hole rather than a clean punch. This, of course, made it difficult to lift the key washer off the drive shaft, but I gently kept wiggling it up so as not to damage the threads on the drive shaft. I can file down the protrusions with a tiny diamond file for the time being, but I am going to order another key washer. As I said, based on my former life I know what can happen with parts passing through a machine process. With regard to the sleeve refusing to move, this may be crazy, but there was so much grease on the drive shaft, is it possible there was a vacuum/sucking affect under the sleeve and the ReelX treatment diluted the grease allowing the sleeve to be simply lifted off? Who knows, but all is well now and I love my Shimanos. An interesting experience, but I figured it all out.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:57 am

I have yet to see any of our reels with something like this. Typically corrosion causes the inner tube to stick to the drive shaft unless there is damage. I have seen peening and other wear to the key washer which may cause it to be difficult to remove. I just haven't seen anything close to what you have described yet. I suppose anything is possible.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:51 am

Kudos to Shimano. Called yesterday and told the fellow how screwed up the key washer is and he has sent a new one to me at no charge. I know it is only $5.00, but still many thanks. Now I will shut about it. LOL

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:44 am

We try to take care of our customers. Especially when it's a new reel and not a common part to fail or have issues.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:12 am

After all of my whining I want to report that the new key washer arrived several days ago and it is picture perfect and slipped on to the drive shaft like a glove. Thanks again Shimano. And now I can back off the drag. :D

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm glad we were able to help.