Calais CL200 ARB

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Calais CL200 ARB

Post by fishing_tx » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:25 pm

The schematics I've seen show the 1207 ARB (which has a replacement part #) as the ARB that comes with the CL200. This might be true for some, but mine has a round metal sleeve pressed into the side plate that will never fit the 1207 or its replacement. What was the part number for the original. Mine looks like this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-SHIMANO-R ... Swls5Y75Ok
Transducers are great for finding fish; when torn off the transom, it's shallow enough.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Calais CL200 ARB

Post by Zimbass » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:50 pm

That ebay post has the wrong bearing for this reel. Yours sounds like it does too. The replacement part number is BNT2925, and it will fit. They might not look alike, yet they work. The newer part is anti-rust.

Would be surprised if your reel does not accept this roller bearing.

Terry,

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 am

Zim gave you the correct part number.

The bearing is pressed into the side plate. I have a special tool for pressing the bearing out and in on the side plate. It can be done without a press but there is risk of damaging the side plate in the process. Sometimes the bearing will slip out easily, other times it will take a bit of force to get them out. It all depends on the the tolerances of the bearing itself.

fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing_tx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Zimbass wrote:That ebay post has the wrong bearing for this reel. Yours sounds like it does too. The replacement part number is BNT2925, and it will fit. They might not look alike, yet they work. The newer part is anti-rust.

Would be surprised if your reel does not accept this roller bearing.

Terry,
The reel has not been modified since new and has a bearing that looks identical to this. I also am "surprised", but there is no way to get the 2925 into the round hole that this bearing sits in. I am not having an issue removing the metal support from the side plate (got past that concern), I just don't even want to try to remove the bearing from that round metal sleeve without having whatever round bearing is sitting in it available.
Transducers are great for finding fish; when torn off the transom, it's shallow enough.

fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing_tx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Ok, got the bearing out. It is 12 mm x 10 mm x 14 mm.

Found the bearing using markings. It is an NTN HF 1012. It is perfectly cylindrical on the outside and fits in an aluminum carrier in the side plate that itself is perfectly cylindrical and is 14mm in diameter. There is no way that the Shimano bearing could fit this reel. I wonder if there are some older schematics that might be better or if they revised the sideplate at some point.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Confusion reigns !! I have worked on many of these reels, and never seen anything that does not take the Shimano roller bearing.

Are you able to post a photo of your setup. It will educate me, and allow Bantam 1 to comment for all our benefit.

Terry.

fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing_tx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Here you go.

Yep, I have verified in quite a few images that this version of the clutch is common in the Calais 200 series once I got further into it. Then, there's a second version that fits your "normal" Shimano clutches where the bearing carrier is shaped to fit the clutch you're used to.

You can see my Calais clutch next to a brand new clutch I bought to replace it until I found out I had this cylindrical clutch.
IMG_0415_small.jpg
IMG_0415_small.jpg (266.2 KiB) Viewed 9673 times
IMG_0414_small.jpg
IMG_0414_small.jpg (260.91 KiB) Viewed 9673 times

fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing_tx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm

To note, I'm probably going to source a side plate with the newer style ARB carrier and see if that will work. I expect the main drive gear shaft length will not be an issue, but I've already sourced the replacement bearing so, it's a backup if I upgrading the carrier doesn't work. Will have to do some measurements.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:53 am

Thanks for posting those photos. I'll be darned !! Seen that particular bearing on some of the older round baitcasters, but never on a low profile one, especially the Calais 200.

Would be interested to hear the comments from Bantam 1.

Terry.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:29 am

That must be a very early Calais model reel. I have only seen one of those and that was back in 2003/2004 when I started in reel repair. Unfortunately you would have to replace the side plate to the new version to use the 2925 bearing. There was a running change in early 2001 or 2001. The side plates are discontinued now. I have a used 200A side plate but there are some scratches on it. I will need to take it off of this reel and check to make sure there is no corrosion on the inside as it is still attached to a reel.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 am

This side plate has some flaking of the plating on the inside from saltwater damage. It is still usable. I would cover the inside where the plating is flaking with some grease and it should be good to go. If you want it send me a PM with your info and I will send it out. I will install a new anti reverse bearing and spool bearing in it prior to sending it out.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 am

=D> Excellent customer service Bantam1!

fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing_tx » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Wow, this kind of makes the effort I’ve put in worthwhile. Thank you sir, message sent!

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Good man Dan. Restores one's faith in mankind ! =D> =D> =D>

Terry.

fishing_tx
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing_tx » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Installed the new sideplate, replaced all bearings, and replaced the gears. Smooth as silk - thanks!