Shimano Conquest 101?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano Conquest 101?

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:57 am

It would take 17 pages for me to write everything plus I would need to take several pictures. Even then it will not be the same as having you sit with a reel in front of you and working on them for 15+ years to get to that point.

kosiko
Angler
Angler

Post by kosiko » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:06 am

Bantam1 wrote:It would take 17 pages for me to write everything plus I would need to take several pictures. Even then it will not be the same as having you sit with a reel in front of you and working on them for 15+ years to get to that point.
I am wondering if you were talking about something like supertune that need to polish the pinion gears and main gears?
Ben ...the shimano fan

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:22 am

Bantam1 wrote:It would take 17 pages for me to write everything plus I would need to take several pictures. Even then it will not be the same as having you sit with a reel in front of you and working on them for 15+ years to get to that point.
I'm gonna send you my CQ the next time I have a issue.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:16 am

There is no need to polish a pinion gear in a reel with X-Ship. The spool shaft will never contact the inside. With polishing the drive gear surface for the drag...the drag is essentially a brake. Brakes need friction to make them useful. Our drag materials are very smooth and we use special grease to reduce the start up friction so the drag will not be jerky. You also have to know that when a surface is sanded and polished you are removing material. This changes the dimensions slightly. Technically you will lose drag pressure due to changing the tolerances. They can be adjusted for but most never do.

The correct application with the correct lubricants will determine how a reel will perform and how durable it can be. I am a firm believer in using the grease the manufacturer uses on their reels. For the most part the reels were designed and tested with certain lubricants in mind. Sure some OEM type companies just use whatever they feel like. Shimano has about 12 types of grease for different reels and applications. The QC team is serious about their testing and determine what type is best for each reel. In the Stella SW for example there are 6 types used. In the Tranx 400 we use 4 different types.

I am not a fan of super tuning reels. I have seen way more reels messed up from it than any good it supposedly does. My personal reels all use stock parts. I can outcast most, and my reels tend to make more drag than what they do out of the box. I am not saying this to brag. I am simply saying that if you do things correct, the reels will perform better than what most people can handle. I have returned many Calcutta TE's back to stock and have had many people ask what I did to the reels to make them perform so well. Experience trumps all as well as having a passion for fishing. I know how I want my reels to perform. I try to give that to the customers as well with exception. Some may be hard on their gear in a saltwater environment. Those reels will have different treatment when compared to one used in freshwater only. Certain parts may need extra grease or lubrication to prevent corrosion. Typically they will still cast well (depends on model) but can be a little sluggish. It's tough to have both a light rotation and extreme corrosion resistance on certain parts and reels.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:44 pm

What grease do you recommend for the Conquest?

I have on hand Shimano star drag grease and DG01

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 am

ACE-0, ACE-2, Permalub and a custom mixture that I make on my own for the roller bearing and worm shaft.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:09 pm

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:15 am

Yes that is ACE-2.