2018 Curado DC (Merged Topic)

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: 2018 Curado DC (Merged Topic)

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 am

End of this month for RH and September for LH

graysson
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by graysson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:53 am

Bantam1 wrote:End of this month for RH and September for LH
I know the thread is meant more for the US market...

The german Shimano website shows the Curado DC too so i guess we get the reel too.
Do you know when the reel hits the European market?
I dont need a specific date...if the Curado DC comes to Europe a month or so later than the lefthand variant i would wait.
But if it takes until next year i would try to get the US version instead because i REALLY want a DC reel.

Actually im planning to get 2 DC reels...a Curado DC for 5/8oz - 1 1/2oz (usually used with 1oz baits) and a second one for 3/8oz - 1oz baits (usually used with 1/2oz baits).
The question is whether to get a Scorpion/Metanium DC for the second Combo or just get a second Curado DC.

If a Scorpion or Metanium would be better suited which one would you suggest?
I like the color (and the price ;-) ) of the Scorpion more but the Metanium has a bit less weight and the micro module system.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:04 am

I do not have any information for the European market. I only deal with the North America market.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:51 am

Been quiet in here. What's everyone's thoughts of the Curado DC now that it has been out for a bit?

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 am

Mike son wrote:Been quiet in here. What's everyone's thoughts of the Curado DC now that it has been out for a bit?
It’s a fun reel to fish. It’s not the end all idiot proof reel it gets made out to be sometimes but with a little tuning on the spool tension knob it becomes really user friendly. It really does skip well which is surprising for such a heavy spool. This weekend I was skipping a 3/8oz jig but I think it would be better suited for jigs around 1/2oz. It just seems to cast well easily. Kinda like an mgl but different. I know that doesn’t make sense but it will if you fish them back to back. I believe I would probably buy a scorpion dc over the curado because it is more adjustable. Nevertheless I like it and would recommend it.

kelley71
Angler
Angler

Post by kelley71 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Can someone give me a suggestion of how far you spool the line on the Curado/Scorpion DC reels?

I filled it first to the bevel and it seemed to fluff very bad. I now have about 1/16 or 2 mm from the bottom edge of the bevel using 45lb Fins 40g braid. This does however has a mono equivalent diameter of 6lb. It seems to cast better now. When full i was getting bad over runs in the beginning of the casts.

I cant find where I read that the DC reels seems to operate better with a little less line on the spool.

Attached is a photo full of line with 7 foot out.

Thank you.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:00 pm

kelley71 wrote:Can someone give me a suggestion of how far you spool the line on the Curado/Scorpion DC reels?

I filled it first to the bevel and it seemed to fluff very bad. I now have about 1/16 or 2 mm from the bottom edge of the bevel using 45lb Fins 40g braid. This does however has a mono equivalent diameter of 6lb. It seems to cast better now. When full i was getting bad over runs in the beginning of the casts.

I cant find where I read that the DC reels seems to operate better with a little less line on the spool.

Attached is a photo full of line with 7 foot out.

Thank you.
My MetDC definitely casts better when only spooled to about 80% of max capacity.

DaveJ

kelley71
Angler
Angler

Post by kelley71 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 am

Thank you Dave. I played and played with it at the local park pond before I took it out.

I am sure my problem is a little mechanics too. But the Scorpion I have on a 6' 6"" ML rod was casting 3/8 ounce shallow running minnows a long way. Far enough for me anyway. The "whine" is different. I found in my first outing, I could use the decreasing pitch of the whine sound to trigger my mind when to get ready to thumb the spool upon the lure entering the water.

I like it so far. We will see how she holds up the the salinity of the South Texas Coast. I meticulously clean all my gear. Thanks again for the reply sir.

Best regards,

Mike

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am

The braking curves are based on a full spool of line. I suppose any reel will be easier to cast with less line on the spool due to reduced overall rotating mass.

Stradic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Stradic » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Can Curado DC be used in saltwater fishing ?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 am

Yes. You will have to be mindful of keeping the reel clean and well maintained. The X-Ship has two bearings which require maintenance when using in saltwater. Just keep that in mind.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:36 am

Bantam1 wrote:Yes. You will have to be mindful of keeping the reel clean and well maintained. The X-Ship has two bearings which require maintenance when using in saltwater. Just keep that in mind.
Don't mean to thread hijack, but this could help those cleaning in saltwater scenarios also... What should you do if you do accidentally get grease inside of the pinion where the spool shaft goes? I know it can hinder casting and I have never made this mistake myself, cleaned a Curado for a friend though and I just acetone'd it away and added grease back to the gear teeth. Is this the correct way to remove accidental grease from the inner pinion?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:19 am

Get a q-tip and rip off some of the cotton from one end. Apply a little alcohol and push it through the pinion gear. This will remove any oil, grease or dirt from there. This is something we recommend on all of our reels.

Stradic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Stradic » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am

Bantam1 wrote:Yes. You will have to be mindful of keeping the reel clean and well maintained. The X-Ship has two bearings which require maintenance when using in saltwater. Just keep that in mind.
Thanks Bantam1! May I know where the 2 bearins are located?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:58 am

On both ends of the pinion gear. One is under the cast control knob, and the other you can sorta see when you remove the spool.