2018 Curado DC (Merged Topic)

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Curado DC

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:54 pm

johnD wrote:scorpion dc has the better thumb bar.
While the old thumb bar has been used extensively and can bend / droop, the newer style bar has merit in its design, be nice if it was more ergonomic and one piece.

The Curado DC an interesting development.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2018 Curado DC (Merged Topic)

Post by 5bites » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 pm

I’m very interested in this. Why would a person choose this over the scorpion?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:08 pm

5bites wrote:Why would a person choose this over the scorpion?
US Warranty
Micro-Module Gearing
Latest i-DC system
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Cal wrote:
US Warranty
Micro-Module Gearing
Latest i-DC system
Those are good reasons. Hopefully good enough to hold off till September.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 am

I would also say the shape of the new Curado is a plus too. Messed with one again in store, still trying to sell my Tatula HD because I would love to have a 6 speed Curado K on my cranking rod. Really crazy how small the Curado K feel; even though it is actually quite heavy its size alone takes your mind off of that fact. Now balancing with a rod might be different...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Interesting reel from a permanent tent in camp Daiwa. So this is the 1st iteration of DC braking that only uses the external dial with minimum settings? I was considering getting the newer Scorpion DC for my 1st DC reel, but I guess I should wait to see which system people like better. The Scorpion has the internal line setting, and the external fine dialing. This seems more of a set and forget, which could be better or worse I'm assuming. I prefer simplicity. Not that the Scorpion is complex.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:12 am

The current Scoprion DC is a 200 size reel with a modified 100 size spool. The Curado DC is a 200 size reel with a 150 spool. The K body is much smaller when compared to the Curado I body (Which the Scoprion DC is using).

While the DC system is more simple in design, the braking curves were programmed based on US anglers casting styles and lure choices. The reel is easy to use and offers good casting performance. I think many will be impressed with it once they use it.

For those concerned with the clutch button, this is using the same style as Curado K. We made a running change to the construction and this is true for both K and DC.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The current Scoprion DC is a 200 size reel with a modified 100 size spool. The Curado DC is a 200 size reel with a 150 spool. The K body is much smaller when compared to the Curado I body (Which the Scoprion DC is using).

While the DC system is more simple in design, the braking curves were programmed based on US anglers casting styles and lure choices. The reel is easy to use and offers good casting performance. I think many will be impressed with it once they use it.

For those concerned with the clutch button, this is using the same style as Curado K. We made a running change to the construction and this is true for both K and DC.
I'll give the Curado DC a go over the Scorpion if it has a smaller footprint. I prefer the simplistic of simplicity anyways. When you say casting is tuned towards US anglers, does that mean the Scorpion will handle lighter stuff better, ie a quarter ounce and below?

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The current Scoprion DC is a 200 size reel with a modified 100 size spool. The Curado DC is a 200 size reel with a 150 spool. The K body is much smaller when compared to the Curado I body (Which the Scoprion DC is using).

The smaller body is a big plus for me also. I hate waiting till September to try one but I’m definitely pumped to give it a shot. It’s doubtful it’ll be on any pitching setups but I’m very curious to see it’s skipping and pitching ability nonetheless.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:does that mean the Scorpion will handle lighter stuff better, ie a quarter ounce and below?
The Scorpion will not handle quarter ounce and below... i do not believe any DC System will. If you want that capability, you're better off choosing an MGL reel from Shimano's lineup.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Cal wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:does that mean the Scorpion will handle lighter stuff better, ie a quarter ounce and below?
The Scorpion will not handle quarter ounce and below... i do not believe any DC System will. If you want that capability, you're better off choosing an MGL reel from Shimano's lineup.
Hmm, the heaviest stuff I throw is probably 3/8 oz, maybe 7/16, so maybe DC isn't for me :-k

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:12 am

The way most US anglers cast versus Japanese anglers is different. We tend to use more power in the cast. I know all of the people involved for the brake tuning. There were very different spool speeds between the US and Japanese anglers generated on hard casts. This DC unit was tuned to match our casting styles and lures. Almost everyone that has used them have been very excited to get more once they are available.

I have not had a chance to try anything down to 1/4 ounce with the Curado DC. Based on the lures I did fish, I think this will handle a 1/4 ounce lure, but Cal is correct. You will be better off with a different reel like a Metanium MGL or Aldebaran for the lighter stuff.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 am

will there be a 5.x:1 gear ratio open in LEFT?
1-2%

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:43 am

There is no 5:1 gear ratio in either right or left.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 am

Cal wrote:
US Warranty
Micro-Module Gearing
Latest i-DC system
Latest DC system? Seems like an outdated one if you ask me.
<")))><{