curado 71

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

curado 71

Post by antoniolopez944 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:16 am

Hi, I have been having trouble with my curado 71 for a while now. The reel looks fine and works as should but only for about an hour. If I am fishing a jerk bait after a while the reel lets go almost as if the anti reverse slips and the reel back lashes. After this starts happening the drag starts to make a loud sound like it can't get a grip and starts slipping. When I take the reel apart there is always some water on the drag , I clean it and the anti reverse bearing. It then functions as should and about an hour later started to do this again. Idk whats wrong I called shimano and they said to send it in but i'm worried that if I do they'll miss the problem since you can only really tell after about 30 mins fishing. any advice is appreciated thanks

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: curado 71

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm

antoniolopez944 wrote:Hi, I have been having trouble with my curado 71 for a while now. The reel looks fine and works as should but only for about an hour. If I am fishing a jerk bait after a while the reel lets go almost as if the anti reverse slips and the reel back lashes. After this starts happening the drag starts to make a loud sound like it can't get a grip and starts slipping. When I take the reel apart there is always some water on the drag , I clean it and the anti reverse bearing. It then functions as should and about an hour later started to do this again. Idk whats wrong I called shimano and they said to send it in but i'm worried that if I do they'll miss the problem since you can only really tell after about 30 mins fishing. any advice is appreciated thanks
To start diagnosing, a bit more information, How long have you owned it? How much do you fish? Salt or freshwater? How heavy of lures? Seems like the drag is loose or slipping BAD so then line fluffs up (backlashes).

Could it be the pin that fits to the pinion? Maybe its loosening and allowing the reel to free spool. Nothing wrong with sending it in, they are a good company that will treat you right.

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:04 pm

The reel is relatively new maybe 9 months I don’t have the receipt, started happening when I broke down the reel to see the inside. I put back everything back correctly to best of my knowledge. What looked weird to me is the fact that the metal washer on the drag stack is a ( shape almost easy to let water creep in first shimano reel I’ve seen with this system. I own cores, curados and metaniums. The reel is lightly used to jig, maybe have used it 20 times total. The problem goes away when the reel dries. Comes back when I start fishing. Really annoying, I believe the anti reverse goes out( thats why I believe the slipping is) then the drag starts almost squeaking super loud the stopping power is sort of there but if you pull the Line the drag slips and yells. It’s a shame because I really like the reel I want to blame the design but shimano has a reason to go with it lol

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:55 pm

antoniolopez944 wrote:The reel is relatively new maybe 9 months I don’t have the receipt, started happening when I broke down the reel to see the inside. I put back everything back correctly to best of my knowledge. What looked weird to me is the fact that the metal washer on the drag stack is a ( shape almost easy to let water creep in first shimano reel I’ve seen with this system. I own cores, curados and metaniums. The reel is lightly used to jig, maybe have used it 20 times total. The problem goes away when the reel dries. Comes back when I start fishing. Really annoying, I believe the anti reverse goes out( thats why I believe the slipping is) then the drag starts almost squeaking super loud the stopping power is sort of there but if you pull the Line the drag slips and yells. It’s a shame because I really like the reel I want to blame the design but shimano has a reason to go with it lol
I would double check the route it was put back together. I broke down my trusty old Tatula Type R original, and to this day I KNOW I assembled it perfect, but I must have done something wrong because after I reassembled an issue with the drag pressure went away. I would look into that first, just be really careful and pay super close attention to details. If you cannot solve it this way, it could easily be the anti reverse going out. Also grease or too much oil in an anti reverse can cause issues. I fish with a Revo spinning reel (STX) that is notorious for being sensitive when oil/grease reaches the anti reverse.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:21 am

send it in with a note of the issues going on and what you have done so far. they are really good at what they do.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 am

I had the same issue and looking through old posts on this subject I know I posted in, I see OP either posted in them or started them. Only time it would happen for me was when the drag was set lightly and when using a jerkbait. The culprit in my mind is the fact that there are no beveled washers on the drive shaft. I'm almost certain I was not hitting the drag star during the retrieve, I feel like the vibrations of jerking the rod somehow had loosened the drag. The fact that there are no beveled washers compared to my other Shimanos makes it the target of interest in my mind. Good luck OP, I ended up replacing my 70 with a Aldebaran for jerkbaits.

schematic:

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/s ... 025900.pdf

*side note, I'm almost positive BN2127 is just a flat washer but it has been awhile since I opened up the reel

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:32 am

More than likely the anti reverse bearing is slipping. Our techs will check everything out.

F1 reel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by F1 reel » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Just take your reel apart and clean the surface of your Maine gear on both sides along with the pressure plate's also do the same on the drag washer's with rubbing alcohol then slightly grease them. This should take care of that problem