New 2018 Stella FJ and Bantam MGL

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

New 2018 Stella FJ and Bantam MGL

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 am

New 2018 Stella FJ

The smoothest most efficient drivetrain in a spinning reel is now even smoother and more efficient with improved durability. Introducing the new Shimano Stella.

The new Micro Module II provides a new ideal gear design and gear teeth surface for amazing smoothness and nearly twice the strength of Shimano’s already unmatched gear durability.

X-Protect makes the new Stella up to five times more resistant to the long term damaging effects of water than the previous model, so every turn of the handle is sure to feel as good as new even after years of use.

Plus, new Silent Drive, long stroke spool, tangle proof rotor design, and a host of other new high end features means Stella truly represents a benchmark in Shimano spinning reels.

New MicroModule II Gear is smoother and 2 times stronger than previous model

New X Protect is up to 5 times more water resistant than previous model

MicroModule 2
Hagane Improved gear and Barrier surface treatment
X-Protect + Labyrinth construction
Long Stroke Spool
Tangle Proof Rotor design
Improved Line Clip
Coiled Wave Spring Drag
Reduced friction roller clutch
Smooth opening bail

Silent Drive is a total redesign and ultimate refinement of all functional and moving parts. By eliminating play at the micron level and tightening tolerances, we have created the smoothest and most durable Stella, ever. Major internal design changes to reduce sound from the reel. A large emphasis on eliminating excessive play to reduce sounds or clicks from moving parts.

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fis ... la-fj.html

Bantam 150 MGL

40 years ago, Shimano released it's first baitcast reel, Bantam, to the market. This began what is now a legacy of durable and high performance casting reels.

The 2018 Bantam MGL establishes a new benchmark for rigidity. The new CoreSolid Body design combines multiple parts and integrates the B-side, frame and levelwind guard into a single aluminum piece with unmatched solidity. This full aluminum construction will give anglers the rigid feeling of a round reel, with the ergonomics and comfort of a low profile reel.

MGL Spool reduces spool inertia to improve casting distance and ease pitching and flipping.

CoreSolid body design incorporates the frame, B side and level wind guard into one piece. This creates a very rigid and solid body which helps increase sensitivity.

Normal construction compared to new CoreSolid design of Bantam

MicroModule Gears
CoreSolid Body design
SVS braking system
MGL Spool
X-Ship
Hagane Body

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fis ... m-mgl.html

Shipping dates March 2018

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New 2018 Stella FJ and Bantam MGL

Post by Mike son » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:02 am

It looks like the pawl cap is on a horizontal plane, sits behind the level wind guard. I'd have thought it would be turned down to access it since the level wind guard is now part of the one piece frame.

Are these the only two reels to be released in early 2018 for the US market?

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 am

I was going to pick up another K series or two... Looks like I'll be getting a pair of Bantam's instead. Can't wait to try it out.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 am

Very excited about the Bantam MGL as you must be as well Bantam1 :D ...it sort of reminds me of the Chronarch A, SF, and MG series (1993-2004). I wonder how it will compare with the Metanium and the Chronarch MGL/G as it falls between them in price. Thanks for posting the new info and best wishes on the water!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 am

There are more reels coming later this year. These happen to be part of the global launch that took place today. Due to production schedules some products will come here later than other markets.

Bantam to me is essentially a Conquest, but in a low profile body. It's built like a tank but just insanely smooth.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Bantam1 wrote:There are more reels coming later this year. These happen to be part of the global launch that took place today. Due to production schedules some products will come here later than other markets.

Bantam to me is essentially a Conquest, but in a low profile body. It's built like a tank but just insanely smooth.
Brass gears?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Yes. The only casting reels that get Aluminum gears these days are the lightweight reels like Metanium and Aldebaran.

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gloomis34 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm

On the new Stella on your website it says it has the MGL rotor. So is the rotor on the new Stella CI4+ or magnesium?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Bantam1 wrote:Yes. The only casting reels that get Aluminum gears these days are the lightweight reels like Metanium and Aldebaran.
New antireverse design in the stella???

Do tell!!!!!!!!!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

New Stella has a stunning look! Hard to resist!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 pm

So the Bantam MGL IS coming to the US market??? Also, does it run the same spool size as the Chronarch MGL or is it deeper??? I hope it stays smaller, would love to throw little lures with a tank of a reel, especially for those hard running smallmouth that love little Keitechs.

Other models coming out this year were mentioned... Should I still keep praying to the reel god's for a Curado 70 K/MGL???

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:00 am

I will confirm the rotor material later.

The Bantam is a 150 size, so same capacity as our other 150 size reels. The numebr refers to line capacity which has been standardized now within our models. 50, 70, 100, 150, 200... are all based on line capacity. Trust me the Bantam is a casting machine.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 am

Curado 70k???

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:21 am

No changes to Curado 70.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Gloomis34 wrote:On the new Stella on your website it says it has the MGL rotor. So is the rotor on the new Stella CI4+ or magnesium?
That would be a shame imho. It would be a Vanquish pretty much; a fine reel for sure, but not a Stella.

Rick