Calcutta 50/51 Reel Seat Rivets, Need Help

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Calcutta 50/51 Reel Seat Rivets, Need Help

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:39 am

A few weeks ago, I though the reel seat on my Calcutta 51; the ends were narrow that when I mounted on a casting rod, it would have movement.

I finally found out that the 2 rivets holding the reel seat onto the reel are actually what are loose. Just so much that when I mount on a rod, you can move the reel left and right, not much but enough that when fishing and reeling, the reel moves.

Someone mentioned to take off the rivets and install a screw and nut in place. Good idea, but I don't have the tools to take off the rivets. 

So, I was thinking. Have any of you used JB Weld? It's a 2 part epoxy. Can I use JB Weld and squeeze so much around the rivets on the reel seat? And will this keep it sold from swaying back and forth? If not JB Weld, what other options do I have to fix this?

Thank you for any help.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Calcutta 50/51 Reel Seat Rivets, Need Help

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:41 am

Centre punch the rivets with a sharp punch - dead centre of the bottom rivet with another hard punch cradling the top rivet. That should expand the rivet some more and expand it against the hole its in.

I do know people were screwing from the upper frame side and tapping the actual seat and cutting away the screw flush so no interference was made with the rods reel seat.

There are a few options to research - just keep in mind dissimilar galvanic corrosion if you go the screw option.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:06 am

I stamp the rivets if possible. Use a hard punch for the top of the rivet (rounded side) and rest it against something hard like a metal block on the flat side. A couple good whacks with the hammer will usually tighten them right up. Do not use a cetner punch. Just use a regular flat faced punch.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Bantam1 wrote:I stamp the rivets if possible. Use a hard punch for the top of the rivet (rounded side) and rest it against something hard like a metal block on the flat side. A couple good whacks with the hammer will usually tighten them right up. Do not use a cetner punch. Just use a regular flat faced punch.
What facilitated the use of rivets on these super high end reels??? I have RARELY ever seen issues reported with them, but glad I saw this thread because I have always wondered this.

I figure when I hit the lottery and load up with some of these round beauties I won't ever even experience it, but for the record why go that way in design???

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 am

You can't machine a stainless steel foot on an aluminum frame reel. Hence the use of rivets. The machine time and complex shape to make a one piece machined frame with foot would make the cost of the reel go way up. Also stainless is much stronger when it comes to sheer forces and bending forces when compared to Aluminum. The Conquest 200 uses an aluminum foot and it is still held on by rivets.

Rivets are excellent in holding parts together. Aircraft, buildings, cars, firearms...all things that use rivets.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 am

Bantam1 wrote:You can't machine a stainless steel foot on an aluminum frame reel. Hence the use of rivets. The machine time and complex shape to make a one piece machined frame with foot would make the cost of the reel go way up. Also stainless is much stronger when it comes to sheer forces and bending forces when compared to Aluminum. The Conquest 200 uses an aluminum foot and it is still held on by rivets.

Rivets are excellent in holding parts together. Aircraft, buildings, cars, firearms...all things that use rivets.
So the creation of the frame itself prevents the reel foot being included??? I assume low profiles are forged/cast or easier to machine by design? I noticed the Ryoga reels incorporate rivets too. I do remember quantum using rivets on a low profile that turned out awful, would get loose in weeks of hard use.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Bantam1 wrote:Rivets are excellent in holding parts together. Aircraft, buildings, cars, firearms...all things that use rivets.
Different metallurgy different application forces.

A locking pattern with the reel foot (accompanying rivets) would see less movement and less stressors put onto those little rivets.
Last edited by Slazmo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 am

The low profile reels are cast not forged. There is machining involved after the casting has been made. Casting allows for more complex shapes and designs typically, and a reduced cost for manufacturing.