Curado 70XG drag & spool tension coming loose

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado 70XG drag & spool tension coming loose

Post by cumara » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 am

Hello, I have a Curado 70XG and notice that if the drag is not locked down, it tends to work it's way loose on its own really quickly. I'm also having the same issue with the spool tension knob, it gets very loose on own quite frequently. Any input is greatly appreciate.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Curado 70XG drag & spool tension coming loose

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:21 am

How loose are you setting the drag? Also how loose are you setting the cast control knob? If they are set very loose, there simply isn't much tension to keep them in place. The cast control is an easy issue assuming you have it adjusted correctly (no side to side play in the spool). Simply add a little Ace 2 grease to the threads and that will keep it from moving.

The drag issue may be something else. Lets start with how much drag you have set and work from there.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 am

Thanks for your reply—I set the drag tight, but not locked all the way down. Often times within the day, I find that it is really loose, and have missed some fish when I forget to check it.

For spool tension, I tighten it enough to remove all spool side-to-side play, and it still works its way loose during the day. I will try adding grease, thank you.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:09 pm

There are no pressure washers on the Curado 70. All of the tension comes from the key washer that works like the pressure washer. I have yet to see any issues nor have I heard this complaint. Is it possible you are hitting it with your fingers while fishing? Maybe during the hookset? Some anglers like to grab the handle and use it as leverage when setting the hook. Depending on your hand size/placement you could be bumping it and not even realize it.

I suggest sending the reel in so we can take a look at it. There could be an issue with the drive shaft and square nut. The threads could be just a little on the loose side. This is just a guess based on how the system works.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:33 pm

cumara wrote:Hello, I have a Curado 70XG and notice that if the drag is not locked down, it tends to work it's way loose on its own really quickly. I'm also having the same issue with the spool tension knob, it gets very loose on own quite frequently. Any input is greatly appreciate.
I had a reel with a loose tension knob that did the same thing. I put a fatter O ring onto the threaded shaft, and that cured it.
I have no idea if your reel even has an O ring on the tension knob shaft, but that's what worked for me.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:46 am

Just cross thread the cap on. Cross thread beats locktite any day. :lol:
<")))><{

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:02 am