Bantam1, can we get a flipping reel please?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bantam1, can we get a flipping reel please?

Post by capt1fish » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Hoping you guys release a flipping and punching reel with Instagage clutch similar to the original Castaic but with today’s lighter/low profile/high speed/more power reel platform.

Please?

Thanks in advance!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Bantam1, can we get a flipping reel please?

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 am

You're part of a small group that asks for this. The new reels have a two way clutch design on the clutch button. I think this is the direction they want to go since the flipping reels historically were not huge selling reels. The Core 100MGFV was probably the best we ever offered. It lived a short life.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:44 am

That MGFV was an awesome reel. I loved back in the day when Shimano made some real game changers.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 am

I would be very interested in an updated 50/70 size. Would like to see an aluminum framed, MGL spooled, micro geared, 50/70 size reel. Actually wouldn't even care if it was a composite frame like the Chronarch MGL, still very impressed with my first Shimano, just wish I could somehow hybridize the Curado 70 with the Chronarch MGL.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:26 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I would be very interested in an updated 50/70 size. Would like to see an aluminum framed, MGL spooled, micro geared, 50/70 size reel. Actually wouldn't even care if it was a composite frame like the Chronarch MGL, still very impressed with my first Shimano, just wish I could somehow hybridize the Curado 70 with the Chronarch MGL.
I'd run with a 10:1 ratio, stationary line guide, oversized brass gears, 100mm handle.

The spool could be just deep enough to hold 30yds of 20lb FC. I run braid but, for the people who flip with FC.

Of course, like Bantam1 stated, the market is so small for that, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:37 am

ccass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I would be very interested in an updated 50/70 size. Would like to see an aluminum framed, MGL spooled, micro geared, 50/70 size reel. Actually wouldn't even care if it was a composite frame like the Chronarch MGL, still very impressed with my first Shimano, just wish I could somehow hybridize the Curado 70 with the Chronarch MGL.
I'd run with a 10:1 ratio, stationary line guide, oversized brass gears, 100mm handle.

The spool could be just deep enough to hold 30yds of 20lb FC. I run braid but, for the people who flip with FC.

Of course, like Bantam1 stated, the market is so small for that, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.
See I flip a lot with a 7'6"MH (stout for a MH) and a 9.1 Zillion, but I am considering putting 7.3 gears back in. Not sure why, just don't like the torque loss if I flip over 1/2. For our lighter flippin a super high speed is fine, but I don't understand the extra extra speed. I also like a reel with full on capability in case I have to cast while flipping, but I guess to each his own... Most would laugh at my finesse oriented setups...

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:11 am

Metanium MGL or Chronarch MGL in XG work fine. As does the Curado 70XG. They just don't have the flipping switch. There are a few of us that have been trying to push a flipping specific reel. I just do not think we will offer another specific flipping model again.

You really do not need MicroModule gearing since you are not reeling all the time and don't need the ultra smooth feel. I think that a 70 size reel is fine. Lightweight with lots of drag and strong gearing. 10:1 would be difficult to get much power from. The pinion gear would be super small.

The super narrow spool with the fixed line guide works, but it's a one dimensional reel.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
ccass wrote:

See I flip a lot with a 7'6"MH (stout for a MH) and a 9.1 Zillion, but I am considering putting 7.3 gears back in. Not sure why, just don't like the torque loss if I flip over 1/2. For our lighter flippin a super high speed is fine, but I don't understand the extra extra speed. I also like a reel with full on capability in case I have to cast while flipping, but I guess to each his own... Most would laugh at my finesse oriented setups...
I put a 100mm handle on my Zillion 9.1. It made a noticeable difference. That is the reel I currently punch with. When going from that to a 7.1, I definitely notice the speed loss.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:That MGFV is an awesome reel.

Fixed it for ya ;)

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Bantam1 wrote:You're part of a small group that asks for this. The new reels have a two way clutch design on the clutch button. I think this is the direction they want to go since the flipping reels historically were not huge selling reels. The Core 100MGFV was probably the best we ever offered. It lived a short life.
I had the Castaic SF and the Core 100MGFV but never appreciated the Instagage II clutch design.

The original Instagage bar spanning across the palming plate was the deal. Put that on a 70 or 150 size of today and I'd have a fleet of them. I'm bummed despite the popularity of punching that this reel isn't out today.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:18 am

ccass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
ccass wrote:

I put a 100mm handle on my Zillion 9.1. It made a noticeable difference. That is the reel I currently punch with. When going from that to a 7.1, I definitely notice the speed loss.
The old Zillion TWS 9.1 comes stock with a 100mm handle... Did you mean the Zillion SV?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:15 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
ccass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
ccass wrote:

The old Zillion TWS 9.1 comes stock with a 100mm handle... Did you mean the Zillion SV?
I got the JDM version. It cones with a 90mm handle with the smooth knobs.