Curado K brake dial stuck

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado K brake dial stuck

Post by reason162 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Here's my reel in my friend's video, he's doing a complete teardown review but discovered this issue out of the box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrXJXjTC08&t=101s

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado K brake dial stuck

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Will loosening the screw that secures the dial (inside of the reel) help this issue??? I finally got to hold one today at Academy and it seemed overly tight, but after turning back to the "1" setting it freed up and could move from "1" to "6" much easier.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 am

They are a little tight when new. Turn the dial back and forth a few times and it will loosen up some. There is friction there for a reason. We do not want the dial to change adjustment on its own, or from boat vibration, boats slamming in rough water, etc.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:21 am

Bantam1 wrote:They are a little tight when new. Turn the dial back and forth a few times and it will loosen up some. There is friction there for a reason. We do not want the dial to change adjustment on its own, or from boat vibration, boats slamming in rough water, etc.
Would a drop of some kind of lubricant help?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 am

mark poulson wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:They are a little tight when new. Turn the dial back and forth a few times and it will loosen up some. There is friction there for a reason. We do not want the dial to change adjustment on its own, or from boat vibration, boats slamming in rough water, etc.
Would a drop of some kind of lubricant help?
Spit on it first. :lol:
<")))><{

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Its a friction fit dial. Lube will not change it.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 pm

If i could attach a damn pic i could have shown what i saw in that vid...

But i commented on that vid on YouTube - wonder if he saw that?

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Can only say, mine is more than a "little tight". Immovable is a better description. As i said on the other post, mine is an Oz delivered Aldebaran. No gap on side, fit and finish are as you would expect, very good. Just the dial is frozen.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:59 am

You can either exchange the reel through the dealer where it was purchased, or send the reel in for warranty repair. Without seeing the reel in hand, it's difficult to say what the issue is. I have yet to see any of the dials stuck in place. I have only seen tight dials and usually from a little use they free up.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks for the offer Bantam1. Reel is due for pick up today after warranty repair. Have not spoken to tech. yet but have been told it is repaired. Shimano Australia have always had a great reputation for both the product they sell and the service they provide. In 40 years of purchasing their gear, (and the oppositions) this is the first issue I have had with any product.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Slazmo wrote:If i could attach a damn pic i could have shown what i saw in that vid...

But i commented on that vid on YouTube - wonder if he saw that?
Yeah I did see that. Good eyes. That dimple is under the reduction gear. That screw did not cause it. Must be the mold.

But what was hilarious. There was a hair of some sort bound up....BUT IT Was in the screw hole....Reminds me of when Alan Hawk found a hair in the stella sw...lmao.

I had to remove the sideplate to get enough purchase on the dial to get it to budge.
Once it moved it loosened up.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 am

Just received my KXG and the dial works fine.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 am

We see hairs trapped in star drags a lot. Females do most of the assembly and from time to time they lose a strand of hair. Maybe when turning the handle to function test.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 am

Bantam1 wrote:We see hairs trapped in star drags a lot. Females do most of the assembly and from time to time they lose a strand of hair. Maybe when turning the handle to function test.
Funny you should say that. I just serviced a reel for the first time, and found what looked like a hair in the star drag. I thought I was crazy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 pm

I looked at two Curado K's at Cabelas today and they were both stuck, one had the gap in the Frame/side cover, I bet the gear teeth aren't meshed and they are sitting on top of each other causing that issue. Dang those reels are smooth though!

Kurt