Problems with my Curado K

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Problems with my Curado K

Post by Mike son » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30 am

Hi Bantam,

I got my Curado K HG about a month ago. Have used it a lot and I'm thoroughly impressed. However, last weekend the thumb bar broke while fishing. Not the entire thumb bar, but what I would refer to as the thumb bar pad. It still functions but the uppermost plastic piece of the thumb bar broke, where my thumb makes contact with the thumb bar. The schematics show it as one piece but maybe you know what I'm talking about. I can add pictures this evening.

When I got home I decided to clean off the spool shaft and spool raceways of the frame as I had been kayak fishing and fishing a frog in the slop. I noticed that there is a hole in plastic level wind shaft on the inside facing the spool itself. I feel there is no way I made this and the reel is just as smooth as when I bought it. I'm thinking it was poorly molded from the source but in no way interfered with the performance of the reel.

Finally, I've noticed on some of my Shimanos, namely, the Curado I, 70, and now the K, that the rim of the spool on the handle plate side tends to rub on something in their raceways. The paint(?) of the spool rim is therefore rubbed off along its outside edge. Is this common? Does anyone else experience this? I only fish freshwater so I don't believe I'll have any issues and as of now I haven't seen any corrosion on any of those spools.

Thanks,
Mike

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Problems with my Curado K

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:54 pm

The clutch button is easily replaced with one screw. Are you using plastic rod holders on your kayak? If so it may be contacting the button which can break them if dropped in.

The hole is supposed to be there. It is a water drain to prevent water from entering the gear box through the worm shaft/idle gear.

The only thing that causes scratches or wear to the finish is dirt, silt or salt. It is trapped in there with a tight tolerance and the spool rubs against it. The spool can move a little under a load, this is why there is a small gap between the spool and frame. Junk can get in there and make contact. This is especially true in really dirty water. We never see it in reels used in clean water lakes.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Good to know regarding the hole in the level wind guard. I do not use rod holders when fishing from a kayak, I just lay two rods between my legs and pick one or the other up as needed. Can you guys just send me a new clutch button rather than me sending in the entire reel? I see on the schematic that it appears to be one whole piece called the "Clutch button assembly" part number 5670. Here are the pics of the reel

I do fish some lakes that are dirty, silty, and scummy as you can see in the pics 8-) . I haven't had any corrosion issues with the other spools that have this wear and they're going on two seasons but it was something I was just curious about.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 am

The button can be replaced by removing the spool. You will see one Phillips head screw holding it in place. We can send you a replacement button if you are confident in replacing it yourself. It should take all of one minute to perform. Send me a PM with your info and I will get the button sent to you at no charge.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 am

Bantam1 wrote:The button can be replaced by removing the spool. You will see one Phillips head screw holding it in place. We can send you a replacement button if you are confident in replacing it yourself. It should take all of one minute to perform. Send me a PM with your info and I will get the button sent to you at no charge.
Yep should be any easy swap, I've broken down and cleaned my Shimanos for awhile now. PM incoming with info.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 am

That's product/brand support. Sorry to see the thumb bar issue, good on Bantam to fix you up right away. First post I've read in a few weeks ahh got to love Shimano :D
mtfishing IG

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 am

I just shared this with our QC engineer and he pointed out that the button is not easily replaced like our other reel models. I did not realize the clutch bar passes through the button. The side plate will need to come off, the clutch assembly has to come apart and then you can replace the button.

If this is too complicated for you, please let me know and I will get a shipping label to you. I made the mistake about the ease of replacement, so we will handle the shipping if you want to go that route.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 am

Bantam1 wrote:I just shared this with our QC engineer and he pointed out that the button is not easily replaced like our other reel models. I did not realize the clutch bar passes through the button. The side plate will need to come off, the clutch assembly has to come apart and then you can replace the button.

If this is too complicated for you, please let me know and I will get a shipping label to you. I made the mistake about the ease of replacement, so we will handle the shipping if you want to go that route.
Nothing I can't handle. The reel will be broken down this winter anyways for a cleaning.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:13 am

Mike son wrote: Nothing I can't handle. The reel will be broken down this winter anyways for a cleaning.
Got the part last weekend when I was out of town. Got a chance to take apart the reel this past weekend and everything is good as new. Thanks Bantam!

Benjohnson626
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Benjohnson626 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:12 am

Literally had the exact same thing happen to me on the 21st on its first outing. Was just casting and noticed it felt a little loose, then just popped off. Luckily I didn’t lose it. I was worried because the one I bought was a floor model (because no one in this area has ANY in stock) and thought maybe someone had messed with it while on display but mine looks exactly like yours. I haven’t noticed the spool rim issue though. I’ve got pictures but I’m new to forums and don’t know the easiest way to upload them.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:18 am

We found a few that did not have enough glue on them. A 100% inspection has been performed and it was a really small amount, maybe 10 pieces that we found. You can send the reel in for repair and we will replace the clutch button under warranty.

Benjohnson626
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Benjohnson626 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:31 am

Bantam1 wrote:We found a few that did not have enough glue on them. A 100% inspection has been performed and it was a really small amount, maybe 10 pieces that we found. You can send the reel in for repair and we will replace the clutch button under warranty.
Thanks for your reply! I appreciate you letting us know that it shouldn’t be a continuous issue!

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:23 am

We've had to repair 2 of the first batch we got in here at The Tackle Trap. A very easy repair to perform, but it does suck that the reel has to be fully disassembled to make said repair. I much preferred the older attachment style.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:12 pm

I have glued the pad back on easily. It's quicker to do that versus replace the whole button.

CGreene
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CGreene » Thu May 31, 2018 6:56 am

I also have this exact issue.
IMG_0084 (2).jpg
IMG_0084 (2).jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 12980 times
I purchased this reel from Tackle Warehouse roughly 3-4 months ago. As you can see I've kept it quite clean. I use this on my main rod and reel setup for throwing a 3/8oz Jig. So nothing special

May I inquire about receiving a new Thumb Button as well?

Thanks,
CG