Am I too obsessed?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
BEST79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Am I too obsessed?

Post by BEST79 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 am

After the stradic fk incident. My friend asked to buy that fk from me,so I sold it to him.

And I decided to buy a stradic ci4+ to replace it. Because I believed the higher price means the better.

After purchased I gave a close inspection to this tiny reel.

I found something strange.

As you can see in this picture the rotor nut lock plate is not in correct position,it splits up.(yellow arrow)

,and one of the screw is in tilt position ,also the screw head is damaged.(red circle)

So, I hurried ,called the shop that there is something not quite right and I want to replace another reel.

At first the shop owner didn't accept any replacement, so I beg her. Yes I beg her for the replacement.

In the evening I went back to the shop to exchange the reel.

The owner provided me two more stradic ci4+ to choose.

Do you believe me? There is no reel that is well assembled.

One of the two reels had a fully damaged screw in the rotor nut plate position, I thought I CANNOT Service this reel for sure without special tool to remove that damaged screws first.

So I turned to the last one that the rotor lock nut plate is in position, but the screw is in tilt position as in the picture below.

It is not quite like other places in the world ,here, in Thailand when you buy something and you found the manufacturing defect you will not recieve anything.

Of course no refund!

So I had to bring back the tilt screw one with me.

When I got back home(again) I just dissembled it and gave it a new screw position with my own hand.

You can see in the picture , as you know the ci4+ body is "softer" so the screw slot on body is misaligned and damaged.

I just want to ask you guys is this malaysian made reel assembly quality normal?

Is this thing acceptable?

Or am I to much obsessed with perfection?

My friend told me it is normal finding in malaysian made reel, don't expect to much.

Is he right?

I am a really big fan of Shimano since I was twelve.

But in the recent years the assembling quality disappointed me.

Not like in good old days even a sedona was well built!

Thank you in advance.

Ps.sorry if my English is not good.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Am I too obsessed?

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am

I only assist with North America. I wish I could offer assistance to you. I think Shimano Singapore covers Thailand, they would be the office to contact for help with this. I could be wrong. I have not seen this issue here, nor have we had complaints. I suggest contacting the Singapore office and see what they have to say.

BEST79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Am I too obsessed?

Post by BEST79 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Bantam1 wrote:I only assist with North America. I wish I could offer assistance to you. I think Shimano Singapore covers Thailand, they would be the office to contact for help with this. I could be wrong. I have not seen this issue here, nor have we had complaints. I suggest contacting the Singapore office and see what they have to say.

Thank you for your reply,Bantam.

Dan, you are always helpful. I really appreciate it.

It would be great if we could have a person like you in this region.

In Southeast-Asia, the warranty policy is not good.

Manufacturing defect is something they neglect.

Many times we have to manage this problem ourselves.

Although in the practical way it should be replaced or fixed with no cost.

So Thai people almost always order parts directly from Japan.

We use comparison technic( rarenium= stradic ci4+ and so on).

Again, thank you for your helpful information.