Chronarch MGL line pawl

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL line pawl

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 am

Pegasus wrote:Thank you for offering to help. I just don't feel comfortable owning a brand new reel a month old , that needs to be taken apart.
I am just going to return it.
You're missing the chance to have your reel really well tuned for free.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The Chronarch MGL is made in Japan with parts made in Japan and assembled by Japanese workers. There is no change in how we build the reels.

It's hard to see what is going on via a web forum. The pawl cap is the piece that is slotted for the screwdriver. There could be an extra shim for the pawl preventing the cap from bottoming out like it is supposed to. Since I can't see your reel it will be hard to say exactly what the issue is.

Since you have had a few issues, I would prefer to see the reel in person. Send me a PM with your info and I will send you a shipping label. I personally will inspect and repair the reel. I will also share my findings with our in house QC engineer. I truly suspect the issue is something very small. I will go over the entire reel and make sure it is perfect in every way before you get it back.
Id jump at that offer for my Chronarch CI4. ;) ;) I wasted $60 sending it to a "reel tech" on another forum to fix the very geary feel/noise it has but got it back still with the overly geary feel. Now its just on the shelf next to my crappie mount not being used.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:The Chronarch MGL is made in Japan with parts made in Japan and assembled by Japanese workers. There is no change in how we build the reels.

It's hard to see what is going on via a web forum. The pawl cap is the piece that is slotted for the screwdriver. There could be an extra shim for the pawl preventing the cap from bottoming out like it is supposed to. Since I can't see your reel it will be hard to say exactly what the issue is.

Since you have had a few issues, I would prefer to see the reel in person. Send me a PM with your info and I will send you a shipping label. I personally will inspect and repair the reel. I will also share my findings with our in house QC engineer. I truly suspect the issue is something very small. I will go over the entire reel and make sure it is perfect in every way before you get it back.
Id jump at that offer for my Chronarch CI4. ;) ;) I wasted $60 sending it to a "reel tech" on another forum to fix the very geary feel/noise it has but got it back still with the overly geary feel. Now its just on the shelf next to my crappie mount not being used.[/quo

I am not an expert, but the guy you sent the reel to change the gears ? cause I think that is what Shimano would have done

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am

Is it possible that the lack of a more rigid metal/aluminum frame has to do with the rough/geary feelings reported??? Once again, EVERY Chronarch MGL I have touched felt extremely smooth and tight, but I see multiple reports telling else wise. I am a believer in composite/carbon frames, understanding that I don't catch 15lb'ers every cast; my Stradic Ci4+ FA is an amazing reel. I just wish I could get a solid idea and trust set in and give the Chronarch MGL a run...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:36 am

Pegasus wrote:I wasted $60 sending it to a "reel tech" on another forum to fix the very geary feel/noise it has but got it back still with the overly geary feel. Now its just on the shelf next to my crappie mount not being used.
Everyone I've done so far has that whiney geary feel... throwing another $40 gearset in it will pretty much account to going geary again.

#ChronarchCi4plusshelfqueen

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 am

Keep seeing these reports of issues, but seems to be the same people everytime. My Chronarchs are no shelf queens, if you want some info about these reels and what they can handle, send me a PM. I've posted the same reports several times and posts like these still come up. There is nothing to worry about with the gearing on these reels. Same person posting issues over and over should start to tell you something, especially if you know their history. It's not an aluminum frame reel, so you are gonna have more geartrain feel than an aluminum reel. None of them should be rough though, as my CI4+'s have been through hell and still have smooth gears on stock gear sets. From what I've seen, when a reel gets rough, is that it's usually not the gears, but something like the ARB or pinion bearing that needs to be cleaned. Can't understand how my reels are still going strong, and these brand new reels are having all these easy to fix issues right off the shelf. I'm sorry but a loose levelwind cap is not an issue. Tighten it and move on.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:30 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Keep seeing these reports of issues, but seems to be the same people everytime. My Chronarchs are no shelf queens, if you want some info about these reels and what they can handle, send me a PM. I've posted the same reports several times and posts like these still come up. There is nothing to worry about with the gearing on these reels. Same person posting issues over and over should start to tell you something, especially if you know their history. It's not an aluminum frame reel, so you are gonna have more geartrain feel than an aluminum reel. None of them should be rough though, as my CI4+'s have been through hell and still have smooth gears on stock gear sets. From what I've seen, when a reel gets rough, is that it's usually not the gears, but something like the ARB or pinion bearing that needs to be cleaned. Can't understand how my reels are still going strong, and these brand new reels are having all these easy to fix issues right off the shelf. I'm sorry but a loose levelwind cap is not an issue. Tighten it and move on.
Well if you own a Chronarch MGL, than you should know that in order to tighten the cap, on this reel it requires you to
take the reel apart. This is easy for people that are handy in doing this to say just tighten it and move on.
I am not comfortable taking the reel apart, so I would have to spend money, and time to do that.
I my situation, the only reason why I looked at the pawl in the first place, was because when I was putting line on, the line was stacking more on the palming side. I was able to tighten it some what with needle nose pliers, but I was afraid to brake it. So for me it was not that simple.

Pegasus wrote:
I wasted $60 sending it to a "reel tech" on another forum to fix the very geary feel/noise it has but got it back still with the overly geary feel. Now its just on the shelf next to my crappie mount not being use.

There is an error on this post. I never wrote the above quote.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Keep seeing these reports of issues, but seems to be the same people everytime. My Chronarchs are no shelf queens, if you want some info about these reels and what they can handle, send me a PM. I've posted the same reports several times and posts like these still come up. There is nothing to worry about with the gearing on these reels. Same person posting issues over and over should start to tell you something, especially if you know their history. It's not an aluminum frame reel, so you are gonna have more geartrain feel than an aluminum reel. None of them should be rough though, as my CI4+'s have been through hell and still have smooth gears on stock gear sets. From what I've seen, when a reel gets rough, is that it's usually not the gears, but something like the ARB or pinion bearing that needs to be cleaned. Can't understand how my reels are still going strong, and these brand new reels are having all these easy to fix issues right off the shelf. I'm sorry but a loose levelwind cap is not an issue. Tighten it and move on.
Since I started this post !
What is it about my history that rubs you the wrong way ?
So according to you, since your Chronarchs are not shelf queens
everybody else who owns one, should have the same turn out ?
I don't know your values, but I know mine. If I feel something is
wrong after spending 300.00 I am going to b*tch about, and I am
not going to care about who disagrees with it.
Bantam graciously offered to fix the problem, and I thank you.
But if I spend 300.00 dollars, and then the reel has to be opened after just a few uses
than I don't want it. I am sorry, as a consumer I think its fair no ?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 am

Pegasus, I don't think it is just you who has had issues. I am always interested in the $300 range offerings from both Daiwa and Shimano, that being said, I have had some great PM's about good experiences with the new Chronarch MGL's. On the other hand, I have seen multiple bad reports on the reel too. I don't think you are alone, but I do agree with JBcrankaddict that it seems about 4-6 people have had bad issues (and kept having them). So I would conclude you are both right, I would be absolutely raged to have issues that quickly with a NEW $300 reel. I also figure that it is still a rarity for the new Chronarch MGL to be an absolute dud because tons of people have them with no issues and statistically they are still doing well.

Overall though I still lean toward the skeptical to buy side, I have just seen way more posts than I feel I should have concerning the reel's performance and or "feel". The Metanium MGL's seem to have the same love/hate relationship on here, the majority love them but a few seem very disappointed. I know personally I was HIGHLY let down by the Tatula SV's casting distance, it reminds me of what people claim the SS/SV does, but I still don't see multiple reports of this shortcoming as expected. Would love to see a poll of people who own the Chronarch MGL and have had issues versus it being great; I just cannot get away from interest in the MGL even after owning all Daiwa's, they just intrigue me and seem to be good feeling reels from handling them.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 am

From the perspective of someone who works on reels, Ill give you an inside of what are common issues I seem to be coming across with the Metaniums. Line lay issues, mostly due to the pawls damaged, cap not tight, or not properly shimmed. Pinion bearings going bad, and rather quickly. Drive gears causing rough retrieve, and rather quickly. Spool bearings going bad, and rather quickly.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm

I really wish I could find out the ratio of good versus bad experiences with this reel. I still wanna try one bad, but making 25k a year before school is complete I am not sure I can risk it...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:31 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I really wish I could find out the ratio of good versus bad experiences with this reel. I still wanna try one bad, but making 25k a year before school is complete I am not sure I can risk it...
I wouldnt spend the money on it. Might be better off with the new K Curado if you are hellbent on getting a Shimano. At least with that you get brass gears, and the new SVS braking system. IMO the Metanium aint really worth the extra coin.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I really wish I could find out the ratio of good versus bad experiences with this reel. I still wanna try one bad, but making 25k a year before school is complete I am not sure I can risk it...
I'd like to give you a couple of words of advice. Of course, it's worth exactly what you're going to pay for it, but it's something I have said to all my kids, at one time or another in their lives, and they've turned out all right (they still speak to me).
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now.
Why not wait until you've finished school to make the purchase. There will still be great reels to be had at great prices at that time, and you can stop worrying about making the perfect purchase.
"Perfect is the enemy of good" I heard somewhere, and it is true with most things. Nothing in life is perfect.
So why don't you give yourself a break, and postpone this purchase until you can make it with less pressures on you.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 pm

mark poulson wrote:
I'd like to give you a couple of words of advice. Of course, it's worth exactly what you're going to pay for it, but it's something I have said to all my kids, at one time or another in their lives, and they've turned out all right (they still speak to me).
Why not wait until you've finished school to make the purchase. There will still be great reels to be had at great prices at that time, and you can stop worrying about making the perfect purchase.
"Perfect is the enemy of good" I heard somewhere, and it is true with most things. Nothing in life is perfect.
So why don't you give yourself a break, and postpone this purchase until you can make it with less pressures on you.
I misstated last post, money is tight, but not bad. I work full time and will need loans for school. I bombed out of college due to a major drug (pain medicine) addiction, for the last 5 years I have rebuilt my life. I always liked fishing and machines, so I am an equipment guy. It really helps my mind to waste time piecing together my fishing collection and organizing rods/reels together. I sold off a bunch of older equipment and use my loose change for rods/reels. I only need one more year of college, I just really meant I didn't want a +$250 dud sitting around. I accumulated about $1000 selling old rods and tutoring math, bought 2 Zillion SV's, a new cranking rod, a new MH and now need one more reel.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:04 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
I misstated last post, money is tight, but not bad. I work full time and will need loans for school. I bombed out of college due to a major drug (pain medicine) addiction, for the last 5 years I have rebuilt my life. I always liked fishing and machines, so I am an equipment guy. It really helps my mind to waste time piecing together my fishing collection and organizing rods/reels together. I sold off a bunch of older equipment and use my loose change for rods/reels. I only need one more year of college, I just really meant I didn't want a +$250 dud sitting around. I accumulated about $1000 selling old rods and tutoring math, bought 2 Zillion SV's, a new cranking rod, a new MH and now need one more reel.
First of all, congrats. on getting your life back together. Drugs are a nightmare.
Second, you're probably going to have to just bite the bullet, and pull the trigger on a reel, because we are all different, and fish differently.
I use TT's reviews of reels as a guideline, because they don't have an ax to grind, so they tend to be more impartial in their analysis of reels. Click on the Review tab in the header over the home page. They have their reviews by manufacturer and model.