Chronarch MGL line pawl

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch MGL line pawl

Post by Pegasus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:46 am

The cap on the pawl of my MGL is loose.
Since it sits under the front bar of the reel I am unable to get in there with a screw driver to make it tight.
Does it matter if its loose.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL line pawl

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes, it can cause the line guide system to work incorrectly.
<")))><{

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:08 am

Ok So what do I have to do to fix it take the reel apart just to make the cap tight ?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Rubber glove for dishwashing

Pair of needle nose

Pull up the two fingers over the needle nose pliers jaws

Gently grip the cylinder wall of the pawl cap and rotate it clockwise to tighten - while not crushing it - only needs light pressure to seat it home.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Slazmo wrote:Rubber glove for dishwashing

Pair of needle nose

Pull up the two fingers over the needle nose pliers jaws

Gently grip the cylinder wall of the pawl cap and rotate it clockwise to tighten - while not crushing it - only needs light pressure to seat it home.
Or you can put duct tape on the jaws.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 am

mark poulson wrote:Or you can put duct tape on the jaws.
Or you could just buy a jar of plasti-dip and dip the jaws.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:12 am

It needs to be tight, but do not crush it or over-tighten it.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 am

Are we talking about the cap with the slot o fit a screwdriver in ? or the small plastic barrel underneath ?
That I can turn with a finger, but it turns forever doesn't get tight.
Bantam I like Shimano reels but this is the 3rd MGL ,why so many problems with these reels.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am

Slazmo wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Or you can put duct tape on the jaws.
Or you could just buy a jar of plasti-dip and dip the jaws.
Im kinda upset that this was the end of that. There was soo much potential here. :lol:
<")))><{

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

I am with you man
I will probably return the reel and go Daiwa

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:29 am

We haven't seen many come back. I wonder why you have had so many issues? If the cap is turning and not getting tight I suspect one of two things. Either the cap is stripped, or there is a crack.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:21 am

Can you clarify which part are you actually calling the cap ?
The metal part with the screwdriver slot or the the plastic barrel that is just underneath that metal part?
Or that whole piece. Please let me know.
I don't know why I am having these issues. The first one was the drag as I wrote about, the second one started off smooth
but got rough real quick like a week or 3 times fishing with it. This is my 3rd. Its still relatively smooth, however not as smooth as when I first got it which was a month ago. And now the problem with the pawl.
You tell me. I treat all of my reels with white gloves, I see others that fish from shore when they catch a fish, they lay the rod and reel on the ground, I never do that, I am always afraid to get dirt inside it.
So I am doing my part to protect them.
I still have a CH101B and D7 that are flawless. So I don't know what is going on, but I know its not something that I am doing.
Its the people who assemble them, or the quality of the components. That is what you guys should be looking into.
The reel says made in Japan, you mean assembled there that is what the disclaimer should say.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am

Pegasus wrote:Can you clarify which part are you actually calling the cap ?
The metal part with the screwdriver slot or the the plastic barrel that is just underneath that metal part?
Or that whole piece. Please let me know.
I don't know why I am having these issues. The first one was the drag as I wrote about, the second one started off smooth
but got rough real quick like a week or 3 times fishing with it. This is my 3rd. Its still relatively smooth, however not as smooth as when I first got it which was a month ago. And now the problem with the pawl.
You tell me. I treat all of my reels with white gloves, I see others that fish from shore when they catch a fish, they lay the rod and reel on the ground, I never do that, I am always afraid to get dirt inside it.
So I am doing my part to protect them.
I still have a CH101B and D7 that are flawless. So I don't know what is going on, but I know its not something that I am doing.
Its the people who assemble them, or the quality of the components. That is what you guys should be looking into.
The reel says made in Japan, you mean assembled there that is what the disclaimer should say.
PM me if you're switching sides, I bought a second of what we spoke of before. I sold some more old equipment, possibly going to buy a 3rd now. I really still wanna try a Chronarch MGL, but it scares me, seems you've had some issues. I still get interested in the Shimano though, just picking one up at academy it feels very sleek and tight (thumb bar doesn't wiggle a bit, very good engagement, smooth cranking, etc.)... I just don't want to be fooled though if there's a chance something might go wrong.

Are you normally used to higher end (+$400) reels? Just a question...

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:08 am

The Chronarch MGL is made in Japan with parts made in Japan and assembled by Japanese workers. There is no change in how we build the reels.

It's hard to see what is going on via a web forum. The pawl cap is the piece that is slotted for the screwdriver. There could be an extra shim for the pawl preventing the cap from bottoming out like it is supposed to. Since I can't see your reel it will be hard to say exactly what the issue is.

Since you have had a few issues, I would prefer to see the reel in person. Send me a PM with your info and I will send you a shipping label. I personally will inspect and repair the reel. I will also share my findings with our in house QC engineer. I truly suspect the issue is something very small. I will go over the entire reel and make sure it is perfect in every way before you get it back.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 am

Thank you for offering to help. I just don't feel comfortable owning a brand new reel a month old , that needs to be taken apart.
I am just going to return it.