Lubing a MGL

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lubing a MGL

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Bantam
In the instructions that come with the Chronarch MGL, it says that you should lube the break pipe ,and the bearing on that side of the reel with 1 drop of the shimano oil after every outing.
I can see lubing the bearings , bu the break pipe when slippery effects the casting resulting in more over runs.
Any suggestions?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lubing a MGL

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19 am

Still having issues with it?

I had a BB1Pro that did the same... There was just a sweet spot of lubricant level on the brake race way that delivered optimum performance. I rarely did add a drop, and when I did it was with a q tip about every 4 trips, going twice a week.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 am

I rarely ever oil the brake pipe. Just lube it whenever I pull the bearings for a cleaning. Casts better without all the oil on it, like you said makes it way to slippery and fast. If anything, it will wear the plastic tabs quicker, but I haven't seen any extra wear at all from not oiling every trip. I do keep it clean though.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 am

When the brakes start screaming I wipe the CVS brake drum with an oiled Qtip (the newer Curados are the same), but there is no need to oil that cover bearing after each outing. I will have to read my instruction sheet, but that is strange. I have been maintaining my own Shimano reels for 15 years and have never heard of it.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm

brownhl wrote:When the brakes start screaming I wipe the CVS brake drum with an oiled Qtip (the newer Curados are the same), but there is no need to oil that cover bearing after each outing. I will have to read my instruction sheet, but that is strange. I have been maintaining my own Shimano reels for 15 years and have never heard of it.

If you have the new Chronarch MGL look at the instructions . It even shows a little picture of what to lube.
I agree with you about the bearings I run all my ceramics dry.
Obviously this is not a ceramic bearings , so I am not sure if I am doing more arm than good.
Too much oil slows the bearings down.

I ALSO WANTED TO ASK BANTAM IF THERE IS A NEED TO LUBE THE BEARING THAT SUPPORTS THE PINION GEAR

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 am

Bearings that support the pinion gear don't need to be oiled, unless you are doing a full tear down. They don't spin on a cast, so treat them as frame bearings.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:31 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Bearings that support the pinion gear don't need to be oiled, unless you are doing a full tear down. They don't spin on a cast, so treat them as frame bearings.
The only reason I asked is because when I took the cast controlled knob out, I saw that the spool bearing was sitting on top of the bearing that supports the pinion gear.
That could easily be lubed.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 am

It sounds like the old paperwork for the older SVS brakes are still coming with the MGL reels. I will advise our QC guy.

They do not require lubrication after every trip, or every use. If it starts to make noise, clean the pipe and apply the oil as shown. That is what I suggest. The latest generation has been very low maintenance compared to the older designs.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 am

Bantam
What about the lubing of the bearing that supports the pinion gear.
Last time I looked at it it seemed like it could be lubed by removing the
spool bearing , a small washer and then you can see the supporting bearing.
Is it good to lube it ? and if yes, with what ? since they don't spin on the cast
is the white grease ok ? or 1 drop of oil will do.

Regards

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:00 am

Pegasus wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:Bearings that support the pinion gear don't need to be oiled, unless you are doing a full tear down. They don't spin on a cast, so treat them as frame bearings.
The only reason I asked is because when I took the cast controlled knob out, I saw that the spool bearing was sitting on top of the bearing that supports the pinion gear.
That could easily be lubed.
You are correct, but the main problem with lubing that bearing while its in the reel, is that the oil can make its way inside the reel, and especially inside the pinion gear which isn't a good thing. You could always clean out the pinion afterwards, but if you are just using the reel in freshwater, I wouldnt really worry about it. Those bearings should be lightly greased from the factory, and should be good until the reel needs to be cleaned, usually once or twice a year for freshwater. Saltwater use is a different story though, and if that's the case, should be greased for protection and cleaned regularly.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:47 am

So how do I grease it
Can I remove it just like a spool bearing? Or I have to open the reel?

Regards

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Hopefully Bantam will have an easy answer to that question, because I take the Sideplate off to access it. The pinion gear goes through that bearing, so you can't get a bearing puller under it to pull it out. Maybe there is an easier way, but I haven't found it.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Could be like you say.
I just thought that if there is nothing holding that bearing there, it would have been an easy pull out from under the
spool bearing.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:54 am

I guess we are not getting an easy answer, but I know somebody who would definitely know what to do.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:11 am

The bearing on the pinion gear nearest the spool can be oiled by removing the spool. The one for the X-Ship can be reached by removing the cast control knob.

If you are using this reel in freshwater, there really isn't a need to oil lube this bearing outside of annual service. At that point the reel is opened for maintenance on everything. These bearings actually use grease due to the higher pressures on the bearings, and increased corrosion protection. A single drop of oil is usually all that is needed, if anything.