Lubing a MGL

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Lubing a MGL

Post by Pegasus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 am

Ok
I wasn't aware that there are 2 bearings
I thought that the bearing that supports the pinion gear was the one under the spool bearing
so if I remove the spool bearing can I remove the bearing that sits below it from that location, or
do I have to open the side plate. I don't want to oil it without removing it, that could cause a problem
if oil gets in the pinion gear.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:20 am

You can access the bearing for lubrication when you remove the spool from the frame. If you need to remove the pinion bearing, the side plate will have to come off.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:28 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Hopefully Bantam will have an easy answer to that question, because I take the Sideplate off to access it. The pinion gear goes through that bearing, so you can't get a bearing puller under it to pull it out. Maybe there is an easier way, but I haven't found it.

You were correct
I just thought there was an easier way.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 am

Bantam1 wrote:It sounds like the old paperwork for the older SVS brakes are still coming with the MGL reels. I will advise our QC guy.

They do not require lubrication after every trip, or every use. If it starts to make noise, clean the pipe and apply the oil as shown. That is what I suggest. The latest generation has been very low maintenance compared to the older designs.
Does the newest Aldebaran have the "new" SVS Bantam, or only the newest model Shimano's? Basically do I need to oil the race on the 2015 Aldeberan?

Rick

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:00 am

karirick wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:It sounds like the old paperwork for the older SVS brakes are still coming with the MGL reels. I will advise our QC guy.

They do not require lubrication after every trip, or every use. If it starts to make noise, clean the pipe and apply the oil as shown. That is what I suggest. The latest generation has been very low maintenance compared to the older designs.
Does the newest Aldebaran have the "new" SVS Bantam, or only the newest model Shimano's? Basically do I need to oil the race on the 2015 Aldeberan?

Rick
Even the ole VBS system you should be swiping the race with oil from time to time. The SVS just requires it more frequently.
<")))><{

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:04 am

The latest version of SVS started in the Curado 70. The Aldebaran is a generation prior. Either way, the brakes require maintenance periodically. The latest version requires it much less frequently.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:30 am

Bantam1 wrote:The latest version of SVS started in the Curado 70. The Aldebaran is a generation prior. Either way, the brakes require maintenance periodically. The latest version requires it much less frequently.

Question Dan:

My experience with Shimano reels starts at the D series and up. The D,E,G all used basically the same centrifugal system. They sometimes required a light coat of oil on the break race. They were all but silent on the cast after that and would last me 4-5 months of use before I needed to wipe another coat on it.

What has changed on the I and up that seems to require more and causes the noisier cast? It is the material of the race/tabs or the angle at which they contact the race? I could never get the Chronarch MGL to quiet down unless the cast control cap was tightened down way too tight. My Curado and Scorpion 70's were silent and my new 200k is the same with oil.

Something else that has made me wonder is if it is the tabs/race at all. Could it be the spool shaft spinning inside the pinion gear that would make the noise?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:04 am

The spool shaft is not making contact. It just can't happen with the pinion gear supported by two bearings.

The material and brake design is different with the SVS system. The MGL should be quiet. It could be a bearing issue, or just noise transmission due to the material of the reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The spool shaft is not making contact. It just can't happen with the pinion gear supported by two bearings.

The material and brake design is different with the SVS system. The MGL should be quiet. It could be a bearing issue, or just noise transmission due to the material of the reel.
My test would be removing line and spinning the spool via finger, I doubt it would be so loud without line. My Lew's reel still made the exact same noise, I figure many of these new Shimano noises come from braid/casting rather than the reel.

attila
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by attila » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:53 am

Bantam1 wrote:You can access the bearing for lubrication when you remove the spool from the frame. If you need to remove the pinion bearing, the side plate will have to come off.
Hello gentlemen

I am new to this forum.
Can you explain how to lube the bearing after removing the spool.
You mean pour oil in the hole where the spool shaft is inserted ?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:09 pm

attila wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:You can access the bearing for lubrication when you remove the spool from the frame. If you need to remove the pinion bearing, the side plate will have to come off.
Hello gentlemen

I am new to this forum.
Can you explain how to lube the bearing after removing the spool.
You mean pour oil in the hole where the spool shaft is inserted ?
No, you do not want to get anything inside the pinion gear. Keep the inside of the gear as clean as possible. Remove the spool, and add a drop of oil on the pinion bearing along the edge of the pinion gear where it sticks out of the bearing in the frame. The Xship bearing is more difficult, since it's down in the Sideplate under the spool bearing. Remove spool bearing and spacer, and try to get the oil to go right on the bearing. A needle tip oiler is a must for this, or you will be spreading oil inside your reel. It really doesn't need to be done very often for use in freshwater. I would only worry about messing with it during a full tear down once or twice a year.