New Chronarch G

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

New Chronarch G

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 am

Chronarch G

Packed with Shimano’s most advanced technology, the new Shimano Chronarch G casting reel delivers the top level performance enthusiast saltwater anglers require. The new Chronarch G is fitted with Shimano’s MicroModule gearing, providing a more efficient gear train with a smoother, more positive feel.

-Light inshore saltwater reel, perfect for wade fishing for speckled trout, redfish and flounder. Great for spotted bay bass, calico and sand bass.

-MicroModule gearing provides more and smaller gear teeth for a more positive, efficient engagement and smoother feel

-SVS Infinity

-Cross Carbon drag washers

- Composite frame

-Ci4+ side plates

- 8+1 S-ARB bearings

- 90mm handle (HG) 95mm handle (XG)

-6.5 oz (HG) 6.7 OZ (XG)

11 pounds max drag

$279.99

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Chronarch G

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 am

The official release!

So looks like the only difference from the MGL is the spool then?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 am

fishballer06 wrote:The official release!

Looks that way to me too.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:36 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:

The big question is if they are interchangeable. I could see this really open opportunities for freshwater anglers who venture into salt. They could keep the MGL spool back home for bass then without worry of corrosion.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:50 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:

The big question is if they are interchangeable. I could see this really open opportunities for freshwater anglers who venture into salt. They could keep the MGL spool back home for bass then without worry of corrosion.
I don't see why they wouldn't be. If it really is just a different material, I can't see why it would be a different size.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks for posting Bantam, and thank you Shimano for listening to the saltwater anglers, and working to fix this issue! This reel is perfect as long as it holds up!

Bantam1, will the spool and sideplate swap to the CI4+, and fix the problem with spool corrosion? Thanks

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 am

MGL is more than just a spool. The MGL spool will perform better, but you will not get the whole performance potential by simply changing the spool with this reel. The same is true with Metanium.

This reel has a different spool specifically for use in saltwater. If you are a bass angler, get the MGL. If you fish inshore, get the G.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Bantam1 wrote:MGL is more than just a spool. The MGL spool will perform better, but you will not get the whole performance potential by simply changing the spool with this reel. The same is true with Metanium.

This reel has a different spool specifically for use in saltwater. If you are a bass angler, get the MGL. If you fish inshore, get the G.
So there's a reason the MGL spools have the porting located in those positions?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:05 am

The ports are just to reduce weight, but there are other changes to make the reels cast better. The exception is the Casitas MGL offered in Japan. That just has the lighter and shallower spool.

Morph808
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Morph808 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:19 am

Bantam1 wrote:MGL is more than just a spool. The MGL spool will perform better, but you will not get the whole performance potential by simply changing the spool with this reel. The same is true with Metanium.

I fish the California Delta a lot. As much as I want the MGL version, I am concern though about possible corrosion since it is a brackish water environment. But to be certain, can I swap an MGL spool with the G spool when I do venture out into the Delta? Thanks!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:32 am

Yes you can change the spool if you like.

Aggieangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Aggieangler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 pm

I picked up a Chronarch G this last week and it was wonderful in my hand all day on the water. I caught Trout and Reds with it, with ease. I have 6 or 7 Chronarch 50Mgs, and parts are getting tough for them, so I am hoping this is my replacement line. I hope Shimano makes them for a while, so parts are more plentiful. :D