Tranx 300/400

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Tranx 300/400

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Tranx 300/400

The Tranx family is now much larger and more diverse. Shimano created the large low profile reel market with the Tranx 500 model. The addition of the 300 and 400 sizes provides heavy duty low profile reels for multiple applications. We took several steps to improve durability for the saltwater market as well as the demanding freshwater anglers. Available in both right and left hand models in two gear ratios.

The compact body design allows for increased comfort and ergonomics. The physical size of the 300 is smaller than the current Curado 300E. We made the spool slightly taller to improve casting performance. It also aids in line pick up when using a slower gear ratio.

Coreprotect is a feature that we have been using in our spinning reel models for a few years. This is a water resistance design to prevent water entry in susceptible areas of the reel. We have now added this feature to the Tranx 300/400 model reels.

Worm shaft seal: The first area where water can enter the reel, when sitting in the rod holder taking ocean spray, or while fishing with the reel.

Anti-Reverse bearing seal: This is a common area for water to enter the reel from heavy spray on those rough days. Seals are used on both sides of the bearing to eliminate water from getting into the bearing.

Frame Seal 1: The pinion support bearing is a common area for corrosion when used in saltwater. We have made design changes to the spool and frame to eliminate water from entering this area. A special seal was also added to further reduce the possibility of water getting into the bearing and gear box.

Clutch Button Seal: Another common area for water to enter the reel from both spray and use. A seal has been added to the inside to keep water out.

Frame Seal 2: Special grease has been used between the side plate and frame to prevent entry through this area.

A special clutch retention mechanism was developed to prevent the clutch from tripping on a hard cast. We further reduced the chances for the clutch to trip by use of a new carbon handle knob (HG only). This greatly reduces the weight of the handle knob and inertia when casting.

The drag range has been adjusted for use with heavier lines. The drag curve is very steep and is appreciated when fishing with heavy braided line and leaders.

Gear strength and durability has been increased greatly over Curado 300E model.

Hagane body
Aluminum A-side plate (handle side)
Cross Carbon drag
22 pounds max drag (standard model), 18 pounds max drag (HG model)
X-Ship
VBS braking system
Escape Hatch side plate access
5.8:1 gear ratio (Standard) 30 inches per crank
7.6:1 gear ratio (HG) 40 inches per crank
300/301 Line Capacity Mono 12/230, 14/180, 17/150 Power Pro 40/195, 50/190, 65/125
400/401 Line Capacity Mono 12/330, 14/260, 20/160 Power Pro 50/275, 65/170, 80/140
5+1 S-ARB bearings
11.6 ounces (Standard) 12 ounces (HG)
$279.99-299.99
*Available early March*
Last edited by Bantam1 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tranx 300/400

Post by toporanger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:29 pm

So the 300 and 400 have the same IPT? What is the difference in weight between the 300 and the 400?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 am

I posted all of the spec info at the bottom of the first post. The info you requested is about an inch above your post.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:59 am

Looks like an awesome reel. Do you know the handle length?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 am

Certainly down bearing count over previous years, are these just two missing from the handle knobs or from around inside the reel?

Also the country of manufacture?

The biggest problem with water ingress IMHO has been the fluting of the handle side plate that holds the AR / handle shaft bearing, easily remedied by installing EVA foam strip's into these gaps and or grease.

Also is there a vent hole for water that will eventually get into the reel?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Spectacular!!!!!!

Only thing missing is a clicker.

Any word if they plan on doing a mid season release with a clicker version?

This reel would make every single Avet, Abu, Siegler, bla bla bla obsolete if they implemented a clicker.
Coastal fisherman would eat this thing up!!

regardless...all my lexa hd's are hitting the bst real soon.

So glad this is the same as the prototype!!!!

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:21 pm

is the inside gonna be built similar to the tranx 500 with beefed up internals?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 pm

There will be no clicker on these reels. They were not designed for trolling or soaking bait. They are built just like the Tranx 500, just smaller with some improvements that I have mentioned.

No bearings in the handles. These were designed mostly for the inshore market and for high durability. They have bearings where it makes sense. I started fishing the prototypes last April. My Curado 300's will be retired now that we have these...finally.

I do not know the length of the handles. They are longer than any of our current handles. They will not work on your average low profile reel. The drive shaft size is much larger. Similar to Trinidad, Tranx 500, etc.

There are small drain holes where they need to be. EVA is not a good option, we went with grease since it will not mess with side plate alignment. Our main field tester on the west coast fishes out of a 26' Ranger bay boat. It was rough and windy a lot last year. The reels took lots and lots of salt spray. My back took some punishment on those days as well :lol: We learned a few things and made some small changes based on what we found. The end result is a solid reel.

I have more product release info to post. I've been buried with repairing our customers Platinum service reels so my time has been a little limited. I will try to post the new products each day until I am caught up.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Bantam1 wrote:There will be no clicker on these reels. They were not designed for trolling or soaking bait. They are built just like the Tranx 500, just smaller with some improvements that I have mentioned.

No bearings in the handles. These were designed mostly for the inshore market and for high durability. They have bearings where it makes sense. I started fishing the prototypes last April. My Curado 300's will be retired now that we have these...finally.

I do not know the length of the handles. They are longer than any of our current handles. They will not work on your average low profile reel. The drive shaft size is much larger. Similar to Trinidad, Tranx 500, etc.

There are small drain holes where they need to be. EVA is not a good option, we went with grease since it will not mess with side plate alignment. Our main field tester on the west coast fishes out of a 26' Ranger bay boat. It was rough and windy a lot last year. The reels took lots and lots of salt spray. My back took some punishment on those days as well :lol: We learned a few things and made some small changes based on what we found. The end result is a solid reel.

I have more product release info to post. I've been buried with repairing our customers Platinum service reels so my time has been a little limited. I will try to post the new products each day until I am caught up.
I'll be buying a few just because they're are better than the lexas...but In my humble opinion.....shimano missed the mark leaving out the clicker.
Whoever made the decision to build an inshore nearshore reel. To be "the most innovative" reel in the category. Then leave off the clicker.....Pretty stupid in my book.
Kudos to Dahlberg on twisting the okuma arm on that one!

Clickers aren't just for bait and wait.

Every Tranx owner I know scratches their head as to why there is no clicker.
Every conventional throwing surfcaster on the planet is going to be oogling this thing....but the no clicker is a big issue for many.
I don't think a switch would scare off too many swimbaiters.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Bantam1 wrote:I posted all of the spec info at the bottom of the first post. The info you requested is about an inch above your post.
I only see one set of reel weights above my post, so the 300 and the 400 weight the same? Same thing with the IPT I only see one set of numbers which leads me to believe the IPT is exactly the same for both sizes. If Im missing them please let me know.

The big question for the muskie guys is how is it reeling in double 10s and pounders.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 am

toporanger wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:I posted all of the spec info at the bottom of the first post. The info you requested is about an inch above your post.
I only see one set of reel weights above my post, so the 300 and the 400 weight the same? Same thing with the IPT I only see one set of numbers which leads me to believe the IPT is exactly the same for both sizes. If Im missing them please let me know.

The big question for the muskie guys is how is it reeling in double 10s and pounders.
I think simple physics would say not as good as the 500...but half a pound lighter in weight.

Simply can't fit a main and pinion the size of the 500 in a box as small as the 300 and 400 frame.

Burning 8's and 10's was a breeze on the 500...but fan casting with it wasn't so fun.....paired with a 10' fantasista beast....the struggle was real :)

SBKsweet
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SBKsweet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:01 am

What's the msrp? Sorry if i overlooked it. I'm guessing $280-$300?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 pm

300/301- $279.99
400/401- $299.99

11.6 ounces 300/300HG
12.0 ounces 400/400HG

The IPT is 30/40 for standard/HG both reel sizes. The IPT is based on spool circumference and gear ratio. Since the only difference is the spool width, the spec will be the same. The numbers are always based on a full spool of line. It will drop as you cast the line off the spool. The wider spool will tend to be faster unless you are using heavier line.

The clicker issue... We do not run clickers on our low profile reels. These reels were made for fishing lures not trolling. I understand they why, but this just isn't the reel for those situations right now. In the future we may develop a reel with a clicker and other features for the other applications.

These reels have a tremendous amount of power for their size. They may not be ideal for every Muskie lure on the market, but they will excel for several. We had many requests for smaller sizes in both the inshore market and Muskie market. We also made left hand models as the market wanted it.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks thats the info I was looking for. I cant wait to get them in my hands. interesting that they are so close in weight.

nativefloridian
Angler
Angler

Post by nativefloridian » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 am

Is the frame that much larger between the 300 and 400? Also does the 400 come with just the large power handle? thanks