Will Metanium 13' XG Handle Shank fit the New Metanium MGL?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Will Metanium 13' XG Handle Shank fit the New Metanium MGL?

Post by GRH » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 am

Hi Bantam, (or anyone who knows the answer)

I have a Metanium MGL 150 on the way. Will my extra Metanium 13' XG 96mm Handle Shank fit the new MGL? Hopefully it will because Shimano's website doesn't have any parts for the Metanium MGL models yet. :(

Thanks

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Will Metanium 13' XG Handle Shank fit the New Metanium M

Post by phatbass » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:30 am

yes

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks, that's good to hear.

MGL arrives Thursday, first thing to do is put the 96mm handle on, then spool it with line, and then... wait for the temperature to get below the 90s before hitting the water. Might be a long wait. :(
Last edited by GRH on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 pm

The Metanium and MGL models use essentially the same tooling. The only differences are the new spool, SVS braking improvement and Silent Tune (new frame). The gears, drag, handle, etc are the same except for appearance.

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks Bantam,

That's some good information. In another thread someone said the MGL tapered line guide is now made of titanium, was the 13' Metanium different?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:28 am

I thought the previous model had a Ti coated insert. I will have to double check.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:15 am

GRH wrote:Thanks Bantam,

That's some good information. In another thread someone said the MGL tapered line guide is now made of titanium, was the 13' Metanium different?
it is

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 am

Hey Batam and Phatbass;

Received the Metanium MGL150 today. Yes, there is a different appearence between the Line Guides on the MGL and 13' Metanium. On the 13' MET it looks like a dark titanium color and on the MGL it looks like smooth brass! :? Is there a version of titanium with a brass color finish?

Opened the side plate to look at the new brake blocks and it is bone dry in there. I know most have commented on how nice the bodie's solid silver color is, but to me it's ugly - looks like shiny chrome, not silver. Oh-well, it's how it fishes, not how it looks that counts.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:53 am

GRH wrote:Hey Batam and Phatbass;

Received the Metanium MGL150 today. Yes, there is a different appearence between the Line Guides on the MGL and 13' Metanium. On the 13' MET it looks like a dark titanium color and on the MGL it looks like smooth brass! :? Is there a version of titanium with a brass color finish?

Opened the side plate to look at the new brake blocks and it is bone dry in there. I know most have commented on how nice the bodie's solid silver color is, but to me it's ugly - looks like shiny chrome, not silver. Oh-well, it's how it fishes, not how it looks that counts.
I love the new paint finish...gorgeous to me.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:19 am

Shimano has used a brass/gold colored titanium spool lip on their spinning reels like the Sustain FE.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:46 am

THE MET13 has a sic line guide,the new mgl has a titanium coated line guide, out of the box there is no need to add oil to the brake pipe.the new braking system is suppose to require less maintenance then the met13 model.
Last edited by phatbass on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:46 am

cndbasshunter wrote:

I love the new paint finish...gorgeous to me.
x2

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you to Bantam, Phatbass and everyone for all the information and comments.

What I have learned through this thread is the 13' Metanium has a tapered line guide made of SiC and the new Metanium MGL has been upgraded to Titanium. Also, the MGL models still have handles that are interchangeable with 13' Metaniums (and most other Shimano baitcaster models). This I can confirm as both my Metaniums (13'/MGL) now have 96mm XG handles installed. A great and inexpensive improvement, Shimano should use the 96mm handle on all versions.

It seems I'm the odd man out here, and will forever think the shinny silver (chrome looking) color is ugly no matter what rod I put it on. :)

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:02 am

GRH wrote:Thank you to Bantam, Phatbass and everyone for all the information and comments.

What I have learned through this thread is the 13' Metanium has a tapered line guide made of SiC and the new Metanium MGL has been upgraded to Titanium. Also, the MGL models still have handles that are interchangeable with 13' Metaniums (and most other Shimano baitcaster models). This I can confirm as both my Metaniums (13'/MGL) now have 96mm XG handles installed. A great and inexpensive improvement, Shimano should use the 96mm handle on all versions.

It seems I'm the odd man out here, and will forever think the shinny silver (chrome looking) color is ugly no matter what rod I put it on. :)
its funny alot of people thought the met13 was ugly.lol What really made the difference for me with the new mgl was casting a 1/4oz casting plus with all 4 inside brakes on and the outside brake at 2, then just adjust the cast control knob just to stop the side to side spool movement and it bombs it out there,smooth and quiet.this made it a easy decision for me to chose the mgl over the more pricey steez sv tws.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 pm

There is a noticeable difference between Metanium and Metanium MGL when casting. I'm glad you spoke about it. When I discussed this with people at ICAST they thought I was either crazy or lying. I'm ready to switch out all of my Metanium's for the MGL version once we have enough available to do so.