NRX reel seat issue...

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX reel seat issue...

Post by oops » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:28 am

Had this NRX 893c since late 2010/early 2011 but probably have under 150 hours on it total. It looks like the epoxy that holds the screw thingy that the foregrip screws over has dried up and the piece is no longer secured. I just took a reel off the rod for the first time in months and found the rod had developed this issue when I tried to put a reel back on it.

How should I proceed to get this fixed? If I need to send it back to Loomis, I am hoping it is something that would fall under warranty as I see that other anglers have had the same problem and I can't imagine what I could have done to be at fault for this.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX reel seat issue...

Post by jpd0144 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:52 am

I would suggest calling loomis with your problem to get things moving. I'm sure they will take care of you.
The support on here has been sloooooow !

Last visit by fishshimano ( Support guy ) as of this post was ... 3/14/16 ](*,)

Hope all turns out well.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks, I noticed this forum was a lot slower than it used to be :( Wasn't really sure if any other forum was appropriate for this issue. I'll give G Loomis a call tomorrow during business hours, hopefully they'll help me get it sorted out.

Unimog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Unimog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:37 pm

I had probably 4 NRX rods do that, it was an issue early on. I sent them all back and received new ones in return, I'm sure you won't have a problem.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:31 pm

I'd see if i could get the warranty claim on it if not it's an easy fix, and if your not comfortable doing it yourself any rod builder could fix it for cheap.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

ahhhh old Bantam and his 1% / 2% failure report.

NRX reel seat issues will continue to pop up until every rod from the original four runs (that is how many tries they made to correct, before it actually was corrected) is damaged and replaced.

SHIMANO SHOULD have done a recall....but well....that's another story.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sat May 14, 2016 7:03 am

I'm so lazy, I still haven't called Loomis/sent the rod in. Part of me honestly wants to use the other 893 heavily for a while first just to see if it will fail the same way, that way I can send them both in at the same time :P

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat May 14, 2016 11:27 pm

you don't need to use it for a while.

just put a reel on it with a big(ger) real seat, and lock it down...

the glue will let go.

I had 9 fail on me in total.

WSfishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by WSfishin » Sat May 28, 2016 8:29 pm

oops wrote:I'm so lazy, I still haven't called Loomis/sent the rod in. Part of me honestly wants to use the other 893 heavily for a while first just to see if it will fail the same way, that way I can send them both in at the same time :P
I had some early ones do that and they replaced them. The last one I just glued it with gorilla super glue and it hasn't wiggled again. They will replace it though if you send it in.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue May 31, 2016 1:53 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:you don't need to use it for a while.

just put a reel on it with a big(ger) real seat, and lock it down...

the glue will let go.

I had 9 fail on me in total.
Yeah, I didn't even need to make it fail on purpose. I went fishing with the rod once, washed the reel off, and the glue let go when I tried putting it back on. These two were used about equally so I guess it was just time.

WSfishin wrote:
oops wrote:I'm so lazy, I still haven't called Loomis/sent the rod in. Part of me honestly wants to use the other 893 heavily for a while first just to see if it will fail the same way, that way I can send them both in at the same time :P
I had some early ones do that and they replaced them. The last one I just glued it with gorilla super glue and it hasn't wiggled again. They will replace it though if you send it in.
I finally sent in both the rods today, honestly sort of wish I had just glued it myself.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:38 pm

The new production rods have several changes to prevent this issue from happening again. It took a little bit to get it sorted out but they are good to go now. The rods will be replaced and you can fish with confidence again.