cumara snapping

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

cumara snapping

Post by Pegasus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:05 am

Was fishing with my buddy yesterday, first fish his Cumara snapped 1/3 down his rod. This was is 2nd replacement
How can this be happening.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: cumara snapping

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:47 am

Was he bouncing a fish into the boat when it broke? It's hard to say what happened since I can't see the rod and wasn't there to witness what happened.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:47 am

Bantam1 wrote:Was he bouncing a fish into the boat when it broke? It's hard to say what happened since I can't see the rod and wasn't there to witness what happened.
Fishing from shore, he got so up set he completely destroyed it. He will never buy a Shimano rod again this I am sure of.
He said he is not going to ask for a 3rd. replacement, he is done with it.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:54 am

Bantam
Please read the below comments from Tackle Warehouse these guys can't be all crazy
I don't know what else to say.

Comments: Bought 7.2mh ex fast action. On my fourth replacement rod. All three rods tips broke from 8 to 10 in. Down. Broke two on hookset and one fighting fish. I am a firm Shimano guy but gotta tell it like it is.. These rods have issues. Have to say though Shimano has handled my replacement rods fairly without problems.

Comments: I bought 3 of these rods. Two worm rods and a crank bait rod. Both worm words snapped on half. I dropped one and it shattered and broke the other on a hook set.

Comments: Just bought the 72MH Xfast from a local store. mounted my revo MGX to test the action. Just a slight pull and the tip broke. It may be a part of the bad batch (looking at the reviews) and exchange it for another.

Comments: bought the 7'2 MH great rod but set the hook on a bass in 18fow and it snapped into 3 pieces

Comments: Picked up a 6'8 spinning version and on the my first fish, I set the hooked, cranked it around 5 times and the rod snapped into 3 pieces. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and went to the store to get another. Maybe it was just a defect. While testing the flex on the one I was about to get, it snapped right in the shop. The salesperson was standing right there and couldn't believe it. Could of been just a bad batch sent to the store? I've used the older Cumaras to death and they still rock. Not sure about these though.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 am

Ive never had issues with any of my cumaras when i owned them. If hes similar to my buddy, and flipped out and broke the rod even more than I bet he is mistreating it in general. Just my thought though..

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:19 pm

JerryC wrote:Ive never had issues with any of my cumaras when i owned them. If hes similar to my buddy, and flipped out and broke the rod even more than I bet he is mistreating it in general. Just my thought though..
He was not mistreating it, he treats it with white gloves .A lot of people would flip out if their second replacement snapped in 2 again. Did you read all those comments ? something is not right.
If you never had a problem and all of those people have, then it means that a big percentage of what is being
produce is bad, and quality control is poor. Just my thought

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:26 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to my first Cumara, picked it up very soon after their release from my local shop. It was the 7'9" umbrella rig rod, got it home mounted my reel spooled it with line and then started to check the flex... snap! I'm talking I put very little pressure on it and it snapped about 6 or 8 inches down from the tip.

I took it back to the shop the next day for a replacement. They obviously replaced it no questions asked other than how it happened. I told them and they were as puzzled as I was. This was the first two rods they received in this particular model. I've been fishing with the replacement for a few trouble free years now. I've caught tons of nice size spots and a few stripe around ten pounds or so, the rod has been performing perfectly.

Granted I've not tried the "tip flex" test on this one but I've been casting heavy umbrella rigs, glide baits, and top waters with it and I couldn't be happier with its performance. On a later visit to the same shop I was told that they had quite a few of these rods in various models returned with breakage issues and was told by their Shimano rep that the rods were damaged in transport from the factory. Who knows if this is actually the case or if it's a problem somewhere in the manufacturing process. I thought their explanation sounded perfectly believable at the time because my replacement rod has been fine, now I'm not so sure after reading this. Either way my rod has been fine and I've certainly enjoyed fishing with it but now I'll be wondering if it's only a matter of time with this one as well.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:09 am

Pegasus-

I do not trust the reviews on the TW site because you do not have to verify your purchase to post a review. While I can believe people broke rods, I can't confirm how or why they broke. This is why we have a warranty process to return the rods for inspection. We have not seen wide spread failures nor have we seen the same failure points on multiple rods.

Have your friend contact our customer service department at 877-577-0600. He can explain the situation and we will resolve it. I commend you contacting us on behalf of your buddy, but he needs to directly contact us.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:51 am

Bantam1 wrote:Pegasus-

I do not trust the reviews on the TW site because you do not have to verify your purchase to post a review. While I can believe people broke rods, I can't confirm how or why they broke. This is why we have a warranty process to return the rods for inspection. We have not seen wide spread failures nor have we seen the same failure points on multiple rods.

Have your friend contact our customer service department at 877-577-0600. He can explain the situation and we will resolve it. I commend you contacting us on behalf of your buddy, but he needs to directly contact us.

I have asked him to contact you guys and get another replacement , but all he says is that he is done with Shimano
He doesn't even know I am posting this.
Its too bad.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:43 am

Unfortunately we can only help the willing. Try to persuade him to contact us and it will be handled.