Curado 50E

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Curado 50E

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Just picked up a few and was wondering besides changing the spool bearings, is there any other upgrades performance wise that I can add? like a bearing where a bushing is? Thanks for your time guys.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Curado 50E

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Not really. There is no way to add a bearing to the worm shaft. You could swap handles to gain a couple of bearings.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:01 pm

I just changed the bushings out of the knobs to bearings nice low dollar upgrade. A hobbyshop had the bearings that fit.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:13 am

Bantam1 wrote:Not really. There is no way to add a bearing to the worm shaft. You could swap handles to gain a couple of bearings.
swp handles? I also just added bearings to the stock handles

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for the helpful tips guys much appreciated. I have a 50E and a 200E7 they are new but feel a little dry......

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:Thanks for the helpful tips guys much appreciated. I have a 50E and a 200E7 they are new but feel a little dry......
just toss some abec 7s in them

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 pm

The typical performance upgrades for a Curado E would be bearing swap, carbontex drag, polish internals, carbon fiber handles. If you want to finesse then Shimano BFS shallow spool.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:16 pm

I would like to see a true measure of the upgrades people do. Casting distance confirmation, drag performance at several settings and of course durability after all of the mods. I'm not trying to call you out here, well kind of. I read about all these "improvements" on the internet every day. There is no evidence to back it up really. One persons perspective is not what I would consider a true test of the measured performance gains. I am not calling these people liars. I think tests need to be done with a properly serviced new reel and then one that has been "supertuned" to see how much improvement there is.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I would like to know you, spool bearings I agree might help but i'm not sold on changing the drag since I don't have a need where I live and polishing I don't know much about. but adding bearings to the paddles it a quick upgrade on the 50E

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Bantam1 wrote:I would like to see a true measure of the upgrades people do. Casting distance confirmation, drag performance at several settings and of course durability after all of the mods. I'm not trying to call you out here, well kind of. I read about all these "improvements" on the internet every day. There is no evidence to back it up really. One persons perspective is not what I would consider a true test of the measured performance gains. I am not calling these people liars. I think tests need to be done with a properly serviced new reel and then one that has been "supertuned" to see how much improvement there is.
Dan, I upgraded the bearings in my Curado 200E7 to ZPIs and measured about 10-15% extra casting distance compared with the stock bearings (flushed and oiled with Friction Zero). Using 30lb braid and casting lures 3/8 oz and up. The heavier the lure, the smaller the gain for straight casting (no flipping or pitching). This gain indicates that it is hardly worth the effort for me, as I can get plently of distance without upgrading. I have never felt the need to upgrade the stock drags in Shimano reels when new. The stock drag capacity is fine for my targets of barramundi, small tuna, trevally, queenfish, threadfin salmon, snapper, kingfish, etc with fish up to 15 kg. I grease my drags with a very light smear of Cals and they typically last for 3-4 years with twice yearly maintenance.

I tried various bearing upgrades in my Scorpion XT1000 and the casting improvement was minimal - same line and lure weights as above. This reel, and presumably the Curado 50E which is almost identical, is capable of handling very nice fish with a stock drag.

Bearing upgrades have a bigger benefit for throwing lures weighing 1/4 oz or less, but I don't do this often.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 pm

I presume it would be like driving a sports car. Sure, the engineers at whatever might have put together a nice car, and it would drive fine just the way it is. But swap in a bigger turbo, some upgraded brakes, some bling on the wheels and your factory tuned sports car just purrs a little louder. But that's just my take on it. Like Bantam1 says, the reel works just fine right off the shelf. Also, a lot of good info in the maintenance and super tuning forum.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:26 pm

I also blame cabin fever and TT for doing upgrades :lol:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 am

A bigger turbo and upgraded brakes are very different than some bearings and a drag washer on the Curado.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:16 am

As stated by strewth and implied by bantam1, I don't think you're gaining a signifigant amount of performance with a bearing upgrade or drag upgrade over new, stock bearings and drag. There might be a slight increase in performance, and maybe even a percieved signifigance, but nothing huge and amazing, at least for throwing 3/8 and up, for bass.

Now if you throw in some high dollar ceramics, a BFS spool, and this and that, and throw 1/4 and less, you've got a completely different animal. So are upgrades worth it? Depends on what you're doing, and also depends on how it makes you feel. Personally, I think the performance of my 50e's are great. Only thing I'm changing is dropping in a 7:1 gearset in one for flipping/pitching/frogging this spring & summer.

*Note: If you want improved bearing performance, just clean your bearings out, and lube with a good quality oil. Shimano's bearings are sweeeeeeet when lubricated just right!

sway630
Angler
Angler

Post by sway630 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:23 pm

facelessnewsouth wrote:As stated by strewth and implied by bantam1, I don't think you're gaining a signifigant amount of performance with a bearing upgrade or drag upgrade over new, stock bearings and drag. There might be a slight increase in performance, and maybe even a percieved signifigance, but nothing huge and amazing, at least for throwing 3/8 and up, for bass.

Now if you throw in some high dollar ceramics, a BFS spool, and this and that, and throw 1/4 and less, you've got a completely different animal. So are upgrades worth it? Depends on what you're doing, and also depends on how it makes you feel. Personally, I think the performance of my 50e's are great. Only thing I'm changing is dropping in a 7:1 gearset in one for flipping/pitching/frogging this spring & summer.

*Note: If you want improved bearing performance, just clean your bearings out, and lube with a good quality oil. Shimano's bearings are sweeeeeeet when lubricated just right!
X2
I see no difference between cleaned and oiled stock bearings over Abec 7's. Every shimano I have gets cleaned and relubed before it hits the water.