Shimano Warranty

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
TBassMaster
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Warranty

Post by TBassMaster » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 pm

Does Shimano cover for cosmetic flaws? I have a Shimano Cumara and my foam is scuffed because of where the hook keeper is located. Ive looked on their web site but cannot find any information.

TBassMaster
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Warranty

Post by TBassMaster » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Also do you have to register your product on the site? Can BPS, GANDER MOUTAIN AND CABELAS (authorized shimano dealer/s) take your item and give you a new one, under factory warranty?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:11 am

Going out a limb here...normal wear and tear isn't going be covered. :D

While one could argue it as a design flaw, hook keepers on rods can result in small nicks, scuffs or wear where the hook point contacts the rod or foam. Perhaps that's a reason you seldom find integrated hook keepers on JDM rods (opting to use a guide as the "keeper").

I find that using the Fuji hook keeper keeps allows a single hook to remain away from the rod blank. Naturally a multi-hooked bait could still cause damage unless you install the treble hook covers when not in use.

I found some peace of mind approaching fishing rods as I would any tool. They will remain new as long as you do not use them. :D Ultimately once you start fishing with them they all show wear regardless of how carefully we handle them.

Just my perspective.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:53 am

This seems like a crazy warranty claim but I also use the fuji hook keeper on most of my rods especially cumuras.

TBassMaster
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TBassMaster » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 am

USA-RET wrote:Going out a limb here...normal wear and tear isn't going be covered. :D

While one could argue it as a design flaw, hook keepers on rods can result in small nicks, scuffs or wear where the hook point contacts the rod or foam. Perhaps that's a reason you seldom find integrated hook keepers on JDM rods (opting to use a guide as the "keeper").

I find that using the Fuji hook keeper keeps allows a single hook to remain away from the rod blank. Naturally a multi-hooked bait could still cause damage unless you install the treble hook covers when not in use.

I found some peace of mind approaching fishing rods as I would any tool. They will remain new as long as you do not use them. :D Ultimately once you start fishing with them they all show wear regardless of how carefully we handle them.

Just my perspective.
im still looking for a nice hook keeper. I havent had time to make my way down to my cabelas. thanks for the reply

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 am

The integrated hook keeper was on the Cumara rods that were designed for bottom contact baits that use a single hook. On the Reaction series we added a normal hook keeper for the lures that use treble hooks to prevent damage to the EVA. This really isn't a warranty issue because it is not a manuacturer defect. If the hook keeper ripped out from the EVA then this would be covered under warranty for example.

TBassMaster
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TBassMaster » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The integrated hook keeper was on the Cumara rods that were designed for bottom contact baits that use a single hook. On the Reaction series we added a normal hook keeper for the lures that use treble hooks to prevent damage to the EVA. This really isn't a warranty issue because it is not a manuacturer defect. If the hook keeper ripped out from the EVA then this would be covered under warranty for example.
Do i need to register my shimano products? And How much is it to fix the cosmetic flaws with my rod?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 am

We do not require you to register the rods. We do not offer repairs. We only replace rods if they are damaged under warranty conditions.