Anti- Reverse Bearing install/ Engaging issue.

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anti- Reverse Bearing install/ Engaging issue.

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:46 pm

1) Hey guy's im changing out my ARB on my Core 100 and was wondering if I should just install it as is out of package from Shimano or add a drop of oil or put a little bit of grease on it?

2) Secondly, I did not push my thumbar down all the way on a cast and the reel made a huge buzzing noise. Now the reel has became louder( still feels smooth) but on the cast it has gotten much louder. A bad pinion? Gears etc??? just would like to know what would be damaged since the reel was not fully engaged on the cast.

Thanks!!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Anti- Reverse Bearing install/ Engaging issue.

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:11 am

The bearing needs minimal lubrication. Just a drop or two of oil on a q-tip and swab the rollers.

The pinion gear could be damaged but not likely. I would check to make sure the spool tension is set correctly first. Also make sure the VBS ring (red anodized thing that holds the spool in) is tight. The spool could be walking slightly int he frame causing the reel to make noise when you cast.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 am

Thanks for the info, I will do so for the anti reverse bearing. For the vbs I did tighten it and checked the spool tension but its not the problem. Possibly a bad pinion gear, could the spool be damged? Maybe when it rides in the pinion it got damged. I'm going ti take it apart today and I will keep you updated.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:31 am

Check the pinion gear where the spool pin engages. There could be some damage at this point if the clutch was not completely disengaged when you made a cast. The spool pin was probably in contact with the pinion and did some damage. You might be able to use a small file and remove any burrs. If not then you will need to replace the gear set or send the reel in so we can see what is wrong.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks I will, unfortunately they said its a month turn around for reel repair.