Hot Sauce harms Shimano reels?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Hot Sauce harms Shimano reels?

Post by dampeoples » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:24 pm

wantthat2 wrote:
dampeoples wrote:I don't really look at it as a BS issue, but more of a standpoint of an OEM issue. For all we know, Bantam1 uses this stuff in his personal reels, but being on this forum in the capacity that he is a Shimano rep, he's NOT going to recommend anything other than Shimano stuff.

Like I said, using reels causes wear/damage to them, fish on :)
That's not the issue either. Of course he is going to recommend Shimano products. The issue is that he says a competitor's products Harms Shimano reels. Big difference.
I suppose that's true, but I think Thor summed up my feelings better than I can :)

The reels that I get back from DR work way better than they used to, if that's what makes that happen, (in addition to the upgrades), then i'm happy, which is my bottom line, I suppose.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:27 pm

agreed.

buf if shimano will never make this claim in writing, has the language of "only shimano endorsed products will allow a warranty to be valid" be changed?

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:45 pm

Hulkster,

The short answer is no.

I am confident that of the 35,000 reels that are serviced each year, there are more than a few that have products found on the internals that will not be endorsed by Shimano. Nevertheless, Shimano, by virtue of it's sole discretion, repairs many of those reels under warranty. The verbiage in your quote allows Shimano to continue to make that judgement. By that same token, Shimano could send your reel back with a note stating that the excessive wear observed was the result of an abrasive additive in the oil found throughout the gear train and never name the oil.

litterbox
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by litterbox » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:10 pm

The big question for me is if Hot Sauce actually has this lapping compound in it or not. Am I to take what one person says on an internet message board as the gospel? I think not. I find it hard to believe that Quantum would put out a product that would cause damage. Quantum is not my favorite company either, but I just can't imagine them doing that from a business or legal stance. I would like to hear more from Quantum or some of the "chemists" that frequent this board. If Shimano is so fragile on it's lubrication requirements, maybe I should start buying less Shimano and more competitors' products.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Why not send the company in question an e-mail and post their answer?

litterbox
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by litterbox » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:34 pm

Thor wrote:Why not send the company in question an e-mail and post their answer?
I just did. I will post the responce as soon as I receive it.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Shimano's techs probably have a hard time getting that Hot Sauce stuff out of the reels you send back to them for servicing ;) Just kidding :big grin:

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:16 pm

If Shimano is so fragile on it's lubrication requirements, maybe I should start buying less Shimano and more competitors' products.
of course, this is the other way to look at it.

rather than say "Hot sauce is crap because it wears down gears"

you could say "Shimano gearing is crap because they wear down far too easily"

Now, of course, shimano is known for their gearing (both in the cycling industry and in fishing stuff) so we all know that shimano gearing is not crappy..

on the other hand, fishermen have been using hot sauce for quite awhile now and we know it is not crappy either...

:lol:

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:06 am

I think you guys are over reacting.
Come on, it's just lubricant.

If you want to stop buying shimano because one rep said hot sauce will wear down your gears, be my guest. You the one missing out ;)

I personally have never even considered using Hot Sauce. There are plenty of better "safer" alternatives.

litterbox
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by litterbox » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:32 am

iangler wrote:I think you guys are over reacting.

If you want to stop buying shimano because one rep said hot sauce will wear down your gears, be my guest. You the one missing out ;)

I personally have never even considered using Hot Sauce. There are plenty of better "safer" alternatives.
\

Maybe I am "over reacting" but I am the type of person that seeks the truth. If one person makes a statement, they better have the proof to back themselves. Especially when they associate themselves with a major company. The individual is representing his company and needs to act as such. The comment was a statement, not just an opinion. You know what they say about opinions. :lol: If I decide to buy other than shimano, I will not be missing out. Like you said about Hot Sauce, there are plenty of alternatives. Anyways, I just called Quantum Customer Support and they laughed at the idea that their grease has any "abrasives" in it. I am waiting on response back for my request for technical specs on Hot Sauce.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:50 am

Thank you for following up on this matter.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:40 am

I musky fish for 3-4 months a year 2-3 days a week from late June - early Oct. Some days I cast for 12-15 hours in a day, thowing 2-12oz baits with my 300-400 Conquests Reels, HOT SAUCE OIL & GREASE is the only oil & grease that I use in my reels for the last 5 YEARS , it is the only grease & oil that will last !!! in my reels for the season. In the winter months I clean and rebuild all my DAIWA, SHIMANO, reels with HOT SAUCE OIL & GREASE & CAL'S DRAG GREASE for my carbontex drags that is in all my reels, and all my reels have TG OR ABEC 7 BEARINGS in them. I like to use one brand of oil & grease in my reels. The gears that is in my reels from my DAIWA ITO, DAIWA STEEZ, SHIMANO CONQUESTS reels look like new when I clean them in the winter months. I like the red color grease, you can see if you need more in your reels , the clear grease you can not see in the reel & gears !!!!!

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zest » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:45 am

c'mon guys,some of ya are acting immaturely,you know the facts is that bantam1 is a shimano rep,and you don't know the facts that whether quantum hot sauce really contain the lapping compound.

what's the use of sending enquiry to quantum,you think they really gonna tell ya that their sauce really contain something that will potentially kill their sales,even if it's true?yea how 3 years old are ya

on the other hand shimano rep are always goin to be,well..a shimano rep,they sold several tens of thousand reel each year,if something really have the slightest potential to ruin their reel,what you think they gonna do?take the damage on their own?if tat case,you are looking at the best customer service ever exist. the realm is somehow not very well defined so it's isn't written statement,but it's never impossible,if you are shimano,what u gonna do?take the chance?and swallow the lost,or take the safer approach by hinting it out here.

we are lucky bunch of folks here with direct supports from a big company. knowing something which might be true or false is better than doesn't knew it at all,make the judgement on your own and shut it up,unless you yourself are part of the opposing company,rather than simply being fanatical of your favourite product

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:54 am

iangler wrote:I think you guys are over reacting.

Your right, those who hold this claim from Bantam against buying Shimano products are only hurting theirselves. There isnt one reel company that can satisfy me completely and while some do so more then others I need reels from say Shimano to fill certain "tasks" I prefer to use them for. I have been likeing Daiwas TDZ oil a lot as of recent. According to a very popular study this teflon based oil provided the same viscosity score as Hot Sauce with even more corrosion protection. However it feels the TDZ oil burns off faster on bearings then Hot Sauce does. Atleast in my reels. People have to take note to, as mentioned, that Bantam cannot recommend another companys products for obvious reasons. Doing so could jepordize his job or at the very least leave a negative mark in his Shimano track record within the company. While I dont agree with a lot of what he says or some of the features he directly is a part of in some of Shimanos reels it doesnt mean anything, we can just stay buying JDM. The Hot Sauce comment ticked me off at first and I cant wait to see the reply from Quantum that will be posted in this thread, ill be watching. Lets try not to add any more fuel to the fire on this topic so it can stay open. I really want to see where it leads.

litterbox
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by litterbox » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Zest wrote:c'mon guys,some of ya are acting immaturely,you know the facts is that bantam1 is a shimano rep,and you don't know the facts that whether quantum hot sauce really contain the lapping compound.

what's the use of sending enquiry to quantum,you think they really gonna tell ya that their sauce really contain something that will potentially kill their sales,even if it's true?yea how 3 years old are ya

on the other hand shimano rep are always goin to be,well..a shimano rep,they sold several tens of thousand reel each year,if something really have the slightest potential to ruin their reel,what you think they gonna do?take the damage on their own?if tat case,you are looking at the best customer service ever exist. the realm is somehow not very well defined so it's isn't written statement,but it's never impossible,if you are shimano,what u gonna do?take the chance?and swallow the lost,or take the safer approach by hinting it out here.

we are lucky bunch of folks here with direct supports from a big company. knowing something which might be true or false is better than doesn't knew it at all,make the judgement on your own and shut it up,unless you yourself are part of the opposing company,rather than simply being fanatical of your favourite product
Holding my comments, out of respect of this board.