Core line capacity question:

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Core line capacity question:

Post by Speckled » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:23 pm

I had a question about the Core line capacity. TW's Core page shows the reel will hold 110 yds of 10 lb line and 90 yds of 12 lb line. I thought the Core MG100 and the Metanium MG & MG7 were the same reels just with different names (US vs Japan models) & the flipping version, of course :lol: .

Per Japantackle.com site, the Metanium MG & MG7 hold 120 yds of 12 lb test :shock: . Is this a mis-print? Is that true? Does the Met MG & MG7 hold that much more line the a Core MG100? Maybe the reels look the same (other then the color differences), but maybe that red spool of the Core is not the same size as the Met MG's spool?

I know for most FW fish (bass) you don't need that much line capacity, but I just thought it was odd, that these models are close to the same reels, other then colors and have that much difference of line capacity.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Core line capacity question:

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:40 am

The line capacity is as follows:

10/110, 12/90

I have around 115-120 yards or 12# Sunline FC on my Core. The line capacities are based on a formula using average line diameters.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:47 am

The line cap specs you see in JapanTackle are for 12 lbs test japanese line which is 0.285 mm in diameter. American lines of the same test are 0.330 mm in diameter.

Do you know that LB-test standards in Japan and US are different. Japane and US shared LB-test standard in the past, when original Stren (Dupont) was introduced as premium game fishing line, around 70's. Before the Stren, Japanese line was guaged by weight, not by strength. As Japanese anglers educate themselves with LB-test, most line manufacturers started to indicate LB-testing of lines. However, after they started improving their products, line standards in both countries started to divert in two ways. US line manufacturers kept the thickness and indicated LB-test remained, and advertised improved line as "stronger" line. Instead Japanese line manufacturers kept the real strength and indicated LB-test remained but manufactured lines thinner to advertise for "catching more and casting farther.

Adding to the difference in marketing strategies, IGFA (International Game Fishing Association) rule has large effect on Japanese lines. Under the IGFA rule, lines have to break before the LB-test. Japanese line manufacturers see IGFA line qualification as a quality standard, and they design line strength as close to its indicated LB-test as possible, but not exceed it. IGFA will disqualify the record, if the line used overtests.

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Bantam1, Thanks for the reply. I just figured that they (Core MG's & Met MG's) would have about the same capacity & it seems they do.

Per Raul's explaination of the differences in domestic line diameter VS import line diameter seems to be the differences in the two different line capacities. I didn't know that there was that much differences diameter wise between 12lb line in Japan and 12lb line in US.

Thanks Raul ;) .

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:19 pm

When you purchase a Metanium XT it comes with a three way little cardboard that you can insert in the spool before you fill it in to give you an idea on how much line you are actually going to spool spool, the difference between japanese vs domestic line is quite noticeable.