Inside the CORE

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Inside the CORE

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:07 am

Here are some pics inside the CORE. I will cover some of the highlights of the design with your guys.

Here is the Escape Hatch open where you gain access to the VBS weights and spool removal.

Here is the spool and break case removed

The lightened aluminum drag star

This is what the gear case looks like. You can see the aluminum main gear and drag plate.

You can see the larger drag washer with the drag pate removed

The clutch ratchet is anodized aluminum to reduce weight

You can see that the drive shaft has also been lightened and constructed from aluminum for even more weight reduction.

In this picture you can see the clutch pawl has even been lightened. You can also see the black colored screws. These screws are aluminum for even more weight reduction. Looks like they have been researching race cars for weight reduction ideas...

Last is a close up of the finish so you can see the true colors. It really shows up better in the sun but its an overcast today. Office lighting and the flash is all you get :)

All of the hardware is Aluminum this reel to reduce weight. The handle shank is also ported to reduce weight. Now you can see the engineering that was involved in this reel and the level of detail that Kawasaki-san uses to create reels. He is a genius when it comes to low profile reels.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Inside the CORE

Post by Fishingboy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:32 pm

Wow! :shock: Excellent. I bet, as soon as the Cores hit the stores, it'll sell out in no time ;)

It would even be better if you could do an autopsy for the flipping version.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks, very impressive! A lot of parts look like those found on a curado (green). These old curados last forever. I'm always worried that a newer item rarely last as long as their older "ancestors". I drive a 1989 truck and it's way better than anything on the market today!
It doesn't seem to be the case here!! Can't wait to try one!! I just hope the price will decrease after a year or 2!
Is the drag star mounted on a spring like the old curados? I think that was their only weakness!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:12 pm

I don't have an FV version to take apart right now. It will look exactly the same as the standard CORE except for the brass main gear and the flipping switch.

The drag start does have a spring under it as all of our low profile reels do. The design is slightly different and there should be no problems with this one. It is very similar to the Calais design drag star.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:10 am

Any visual cues to set apart the burner Core vs the standard gear ratio...

IE, like the black drag star on the Met MG7?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:04 am

The gear housing on the frame and right sideplate is slightly larger on the 7:1 model.