Custom Shop

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
BillyBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Custom Shop

Post by BillyBass » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:47 am

Me Too.

mark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mark » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:37 am

You can count me in too!

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:57 am

I'm interested. Anything we can do to the 100DC to improve upon them?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:19 am

The DC is the top of the line right now. The only thing I did to my reel was install ABEC 5 bearings and thats it. The only other option I could see is a different program for the DC unit and that will probably never happen. We did all the homework so no changes are really needed. The new sealed ARB bearings spin very free and this could be another option you might look at.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:26 am

Bantam1 wrote:I will reveal some of the secrets on this site when the time comes. Our reels can be tuned with some parts from certain reels.
my chronarch SF is 10-bearing too, and i've upgraded my friends CT250 to 8-bearings (both with the extra BB added to the driveshaft). i've lowered the weight on my CU100B & CH100MG by using a few parts from the newer models. some of the tuning "secrets" are already out of the bag... what else can you share?

you mentioned on the AC forum that the JDM DC units have different braking curves than their US counterparts and am wondering if you've had a chance to follow-up with the engineers... is this true only for the Calais DC or does it apply to the CTE100DC vs. Conquest 100DC also?

:thinking:

fish_finder1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fish_finder1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 pm

i also am very interested. :shock: :evil: :evil:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:40 pm

All of the DC reels in Japan have different braking curves than we use.

I have plenty of secrets but some will stay with me

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:42 pm

Do you publish the curves?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:57 pm

I would sure like to know the difference between a Calcutta DC100 and a Conquest DC100. I've always been told that they were identical...now I find out the braking curves are different!?!?!? They must be different for a reason...what is it?

You said you had an automotive background...sell me some hot chips for my Calcutta DC100. :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:09 pm

I have plenty of secrets but some will stay with me
Don't get me wrong Bantam. But I'm getting kind of confused on your take on some issues, especially with respect to Shimano N. America and Shimano Japan. (I've already posted re: customizing "SECRETS" that you are not prepared to share at this time).

For instance, why would different braking curves between N. American and JDM reels be considered a secret? Loss of sales for the N.America version even with Platinum service and warranties? I don't get it. Look forward to your reply. V.R.

samuraiti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by samuraiti » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:32 pm

I'd be interested too!

I used to be a Shimano exclusive guy but a couple buddies got me into the JDM reels along with Daiwa. I now have primarily Daiwa baitcasters (haven't gotten to the spinning reels yet) and have actually sold 8 of my Shimano's but also have to admit I love my MGs along with a couple other Shimano's I have.

I think it would help to have more parts and options for your reels. The Daiwa Zillion (to me) has a coolness factor I couldn't help but being drawn to. As a result two of my Shimano's had to go. The people in my little club (that has a ton of publicity in BASSMASTER, BASS Times, Bass West, ESPN2, etc) see this and its effect can go onto many others if my or others pics are posted...

Anybody can e-mail me at solarfishing@yahoo.com if you want to know about my club!

Thanks also for being here on this forum!

Todd

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:37 pm

spiroh wrote:I'm interested. Anything we can do to the 100DC to improve upon them?
There is a tuning base for the 200/201DC for FC line. I would assume yumeya will come out with a similar base for the 100/101 at somepoint.
Attachments
dc200.jpg
dc200.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 5232 times

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:51 pm

Now that I've learned that the breaking curves are different between a Conquest DC100 and a Calcutta DC100 (two reels that have long been touted as identical) and that this difference is some sort of a secret, I feel like someone has just taken a giant whiz on my head and told me it was raining...and you can "trust me" on that one. :big grin:

I sure hope this "secret" thing doesn't go unexplained. I really want to be aware of these kinds of considerations before I make a purchase. I find it is just as easy to buy JDM as it is to buy USDM from the Dallas BPS and (as GH has pointed out) many times the JDM reel is cheaper.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:41 am

There is no secret here. The US version has a little broader curve due to the variety of lures we use here. The min setting is a little lighter and the max setting is a little higher. Everything in between is evenly spread across the board. The average person would probably never notice the difference.

Shimano Japan offers another DC unit that is programmed for use with FC lines. We incorporated this into our curves a little bit so everyone can be happy. :)

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:57 am

I would also love to see a custom parts shop, I am shimano man all the way, and always will be.