Shimano reel Maintenence

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Shimano reel Maintenence

Post by Scot » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:53 am

Bantam...I think you said in another post that spool bearings are GREASED in the US reels :shock: ...maybe I read it wrong.

When I bought my Calcutta 51 TE I did in fact notice a generous dab of grease atop the spool bearings but just figured that was residual from greasing the pads in which the spool shaft ends ride. I do notice that a new reel feels soooo buttery smooth and silent and seems to lose that with a little use to some degree. How can I keep that "out of the box" feel?
What I try to avoid is unnessacarily assembling/disassembling my reels as I believe this adds to accelarated wear over time.

Also...I have and use the Shimano Drag Grease as well as the lighter AR-B grease....could you run down what greases you guys use,how liberally or sparingly, and where?

I am SPECIFICALLY asking about the Calcuttas FWIW.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano reel Maintenence

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 am

I will have a post with links today. We have an online maintenance guide that shows where and what to grease/oil.