Noisy Cranking

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Rick from Lafayette
Angler
Angler

Noisy Cranking

Post by Rick from Lafayette » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:25 am

I have 3 Chronarch 50MG's that are almost 2 years old. I clean them and oil them sporadically. They all are making noises when cranking and I can't see where it is coming from. They all cast fine. I know how to take these guys apart. I just can't seem to find the problem. On one of the reels you can actually feel a little resistance through the noisy cranking, if that makes sense. Will changing out the gears fix the problem?

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Noisy Cranking

Post by Scot » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:53 am

Rick from Lafayette wrote:I have 3 Chronarch 50MG's that are almost 2 years old. I clean them and oil them sporadically. They all are making noises when cranking and I can't see where it is coming from. They all cast fine. I know how to take these guys apart. I just can't seem to find the problem. On one of the reels you can actually feel a little resistance through the noisy cranking, if that makes sense. Will changing out the gears fix the problem?
I can't verify this and I've also yet to try this technique but I'd like to throw it out there for Bantam to see and hear his comments. I'm pretty sure I know what noise/somewhat grindy feel you're talking about. I'm almost wondering that although the handle shaft is supported by both the anti-reverse and bearing atop the A/R it aligns everything pretty good but there is SOME clearence although small. I'm wondering if when tightening the handle nut it is pretty easy to wedge the handle shaft to one side of the bearings...kinda take up all the clearance to one side of the shaft/bearing surfaces creating near contact on one side....that's kind of what it feels like to me and if Dan feels that may be true...do they have a tool that ensures proper lateral alignment when tightening the handle nut down ensuring proper clearence completely around the circumference of the mating parts....or do I have to come up with an idea and make a tool for perfect assembly.

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:55 am

id like to know myself i have a scorpion 1000 that makes a roaring grinding kinda noise but still cast like a dream i put abec7 stainless steel spool bearings in it cleaned out the anti reverse bearing and everything. i guess i'm leaning more towards some pinion bearing in the frame on the spool shaft or the line guide pawl but i'm not sure sometimes for a few casts it will go away but eventually comes back

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:47 pm

have you tried greasing rather than oiling?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:12 am

Our gears require grease and not oil. The oil does not bond to the gears like the grease will and will push away under a load. Think of an internal combustion engine or a transmission. They use either a pump or sit in an oil bath and pick up oil to lubricate the areas where needed.

The little reel will just fling the oil off and run dry. Go back in and use our grease that is Teflon based and the noise should go away. Also check the pinion support bearing to make sure it is not rough. If the gears still feel rough and make noise after lubrication then they will need to be replaced.

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:06 pm

bantam i use quantum hot sauce grease on all my gears i took my scorpion apart and it is the pinion support bearing in the frame if we are on the same page the one in the frame by where the spool shaft comes in. what was wrong is the shield on one side was dented in and either rubbing on the ball bearings or the inner race so i took that shield off and i think that may fix it temporarily till i can get a new bearing for it. the problem is i can't read the manual cause it's in japanese and I don't know the part number for that bearing or the size of that bearing can you help me there?????

Rick from Lafayette
Angler
Angler

Post by Rick from Lafayette » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:38 am

I just got back from 3 days of fishing and couldn't get back sooner. I should have made myself a little clearer. I always oil bearings and grease gears. I believe I found my answer, though. It looks like I need to order new pinion bearings for my reels.

Thanks

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:31 pm

well i got my scorpion back to silky smooth but i'm a little perplexed lol. i had a shimano citica 100dsv that i rarely use just for pond fishing for smoothness wasn't a huge ordeal on it. I changed out the main drive gears, the line guide pawl, worm gear, and anti-reverse bearing and that made my scorpion silky smooth again. if it wasn't for having to take the handle off and on on the scorpion being difficult sometimes i would have done it one by one to find the real culprit but i didn't do it that way. but what i mean by i'm perplexed is that the shimano citica is still smooth too so i don't know what the deal was i really expecting the citica too start roaring and grinding when i put the scorpion parts in it but not the case. oh well either way both reels are working greatly and my favorite reel of all the time the scorpion is back to normal

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:12 am

As I have said a few times now the Japanese model reels have softer gears than the US version. You will see the gears feel rougher and get noisy quicker than the US version reels.

You can convert the gears to our version which it sounds like you have done.