Shimano Quality difference between USA/Japan

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Quality difference between USA/Japan

Post by GAMEOVER » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Scot wrote:No G.O. the quote "lack of intelligence" wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular. It was a joke with a sense of humility that most of us here have.....I can't speak for everybody of course but certainly, I try not to take myself or life to seriously 'cos I probably would have offed myself by now if I did :lol: You will learn at some point...being the smart guy really sucks sometimes and it is much nicer being the dumbass in the corner who knows nothing. We all got a little "hot around the collar" at Bantam for his "expert" comment and I was simply trying to make light of it....that's all.
:lol: No problem Scot, I still love reading your posts. :hugs:

I think ill choose to be the dumb guy and drop the rest of the thread. :P

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Well, I'd still like to know why 4x4SVS never made it to SAC. And I don't get to choose to be the dumb guy...I've earned the distinction. :lol:
Last edited by mhood on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:30 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
you quote Fish Chris because in your world if he says it's so...
Who's Fish Chris?
Trophy Bass fisherman out of Northern California...

http://www.trophybassonly.com/
Scot wrote:Not sure what the TT policy is so I'll just say that if you would like to know what site it is..drop me a pm.
;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:04 pm

Errr...what...hmmm...yeah, okay.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The JDm products that you guys are buying on the internet are grey market reels. Some wholesaler is selling them to shops here on the side and making a small profit on them.
I just noticed this...are you saying Japan Tackle and Plat are selling grey market reels? I think lots of us think we are buying JDM tackle directly from Japan. :?
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:42 pm

That doesn't add up, as Plat and japan Tackle are located in Japan, no? Are there any places in the US to get these, or is he talking about guys like BB?

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:54 pm

If all this stuff (a lot) I have is gray market stuff. My favorite new color is gray.

I have dealt with Brooklyn Bill, and Japan Tackle and a few others in the reel buisness and I see no problem with any product I have ever received from them. I have seen and worked on thousands of reels in my time as reel repair nut.

I don't think I have ever said anything derogatory towards anyone on this forum before, But I think the gray market statement is a little far fetched and a bunch of crap.

Just My Opinion.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:00 pm

As far as I know, grey market stuff is is basically what he said, it comes from Shimano, goes to a distributor, then to approved stores. I think he's saying that the distributor is selling to someone not on the list, cutting someone out of the chain.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:00 pm

The reels are considered "grey market" regardless of vendor location source. They are being used in "unofficial" locations. It's like if you go to Japan to purchase a video camera or something like that and bring it back for use in the States.
It's the same camera regardless of where you use it but for some reason it doesn't meet approved corporate standards. If it breaks, you're on your own.
Another example is for DVD regions. A region A or 1 DVD isn't meant to be played in a region G or 7 player. If it gets messed up, the company doesn't have to honor the warranty.
So, basically, Japan Tackle, Bass JP, Plat, BB, Bass Network, etc, etc, GinRin (who still haven't responded to my email, BTW), etc, etc.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:57 pm

mhood wrote:Well, I'd still like to know why 4x4SVS never made it to SAC. And I don't get to choose to be the dumb guy...I've earned the distinction. :lol:
I am pretty sure Quantum holds the US Patent, or it is something to do with a patent in the US. It has been a while since I cared........ :lol:
Last edited by GamblerHydra on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Yes GH,

That speculation has been around for quite awhile, AND, the patent expiration is usually 20 years, but could be longer if an extension is applied for and granted.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 pm

dragon1 wrote:Yes GH,

That speculation has been around for quite awhile, AND, the patent expiration is usually 20 years, but could be longer if an extension is applied for and granted.
kool... I have not lost all of my mind yet. :lol:

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:22 pm

I think your crazy to buy a flagship shimano reel from Japan over a US model if you live in NA. There is no difference in most case. I can also understand the lefty comments. There just is not a huge market for it here , and it comes down to numbers. What does make the JDM so attractive is the beaten down Yen.

Since we are stating opinions. :lol: I can tell you that my Steez rod, one of the first bought in the US was a huge piece of junk. I will take a Loomis over it any day of the week, and have. I love the Steez reel, but the Calais 100A, is a better long distance casting reel. I would also take a Calcutta DC 100 over a Steez anyday. Both those reels will flat out perform a Steez in a certain techniques, and conditions. They all have their place. The MG7 is a amazing reel, and if the core is really better than the MET MG7..... then daiwa US is in real trouble.

I think in most cases people confuse quality with grade/features. There is a difference between quality and grade. A product can be of high quality , but a low grade. So I can see were Bantum can say with 100% certainty there is no difference in quality.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:06 am

GamblerHydra wrote:I think your crazy to buy a flagship shimano reel from Japan over a US model if you live in NA.

A product can be of high quality , but a low grade. So I can see were Bantum can say with 100% certainty there is no difference in quality.

I'm an outlaw...on a steel horse I ride. :lol:

I didn't think this particular discussion was a Shimano vrs. Daiwa thing. I felt it was more of an SIC vrs. SAC thing. And yes, I can see where Bantum has said a lot of things with 100% certainty... ;)

I can't get past the fact that we're talking about a one year limited warranty here....I got a one year limited warranty with the last $10 portable CD player I bought Lizzy at Wally World and those things are disposables. At least I don't have to hear Hanna Montana songs for another thousand times. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:03 am

GamblerHydra wrote: It has been a while since I cared
:lol: ...that's awesome... :lol: