Shimano Quality difference between USA/Japan

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Shimano Quality difference between USA/Japan

Post by Bantam1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Ok lets start over since I forgot to take in consideration the "enthusiast" opinion.

For the lefty's:

I thought I explained this in a way that you can understand from a sales point of view. Its not that we don't care or that we don't want to look at the left handed market. Its strictly based on cost of development vs. return sales. The left hand reels do not sell very many pieces. The demand is not as high as you think it is. Yes I would like to make all of you happy and bring more left hand reels into the market here. I am not the decision maker in this process. I am a product support guy. I can relay all of this info to the powers that be but it is still not my decision. If everyone here said I'll buy 50 of those and 25 of that then it might be easier. Maybe our numbers are wrong because you guys are buying the JDM reels.

For the JDM is better guys:

I am not here to argue or get into a battle about why this is or isn't better. If the features that were on some of the reels came into the US version then the price would go up. The JDm products that you guys are buying on the internet are grey market reels. Some wholesaler is selling them to shops here on the side and making a small profit on them.

When I say the reel is "better" then I speak the truth are far as durability for our market. We spend countless hours testing everything before the reel hits the market. Some reels are tested for many years before they are released. We find the flaws in the JDM product and then change the reels to meet our standards. The quality is not better on the JDM reels. The finish on the Metanium XT is the same because it is the same reel other than the clicking cast control and the clear VBS weighs that come on the spool. Why the finish on your Metanium is holding up better is beyond me. Maybe the Chronarch was after Sake shots in the afternoon :) On a serious note the reel could not have been properly plated and could require parts to be replaced under warranty.

I have seen everything you can imagine happen to a reel. I know what a reel should feel like when I am done repairing it. Typically the reel leaves my desk better than out of the box. I fish and I send the reel out that meets my standards. I own a few JDM reels that we field tested and honestly they do not perform any better than the US versions. A clicking cast control knob for example. Sure it's nice but do you really need it? A different shaped drag star knob for the smaller Japanese hands. The average person here is probably larger than the average Japanese person. An example of why our gears are stronger can be seen in our longer handles. The smaller handles on the JDM product limits your cranking power/leverage. We use a longer handle to allow more cranking power and because we use a stronger alloy to handle the heavier line and more aggressive style of fishing here.

So yes I consider myself an expert when I say I know the reels. I have seen and repaired more reels than most people. I have repaired literally thousands of reels both foreign and domestic. I just don't see the need to save a few dollars and not have factory support and warranty on the reel. For the enthusiast then cool you have something different. For the tournament angler he will want something that will last and that he can get parts for should he need it. Waiting 6 months for a set of gears to fix the Twin Power is probably not in his best interest.

I am here to provide support to Shimano customers in any way I can. The JDM(I'll call it SIC which is Shimano Japan) vs. SAC (Shimano American) battles is not helping anyone except the enthusiast. If anything it drives the prices higher by undercutting the local dealers and not allowing them to make money on the products that they sell to you. We support our dealers so you will never see me say "Sure go buy the Scorpion Mg" on here.

Well guys it's 1:30am east coast time and I'm fishing in the morning. I'll continue this more when I return to the office on Tuesday. I'm sure the argument will continue then... Have a great weekend!

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:51 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The finish on the Metanium XT is the same because it is the same reel other than the clicking cast control and the clear VBS weighs that come on the spool. Why the finish on your Metanium is holding up better is beyond me. Maybe the Chronarch was after Sake shots in the afternoon :) On a serious note the reel could not have been properly plated and could require parts to be replaced under warranty.
I think you better check your sources on that, since it's clearly different.
By the way, I do appreciate what you are doing here Bantam1. Just want to get the facts straight.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:54 pm

Bantam thanks for your reply I get what your saying. The little stuff like a clicking dragstar/spool tension knob is what makes things better. I dont mean its just that thats making the products in the JDM market better I only meant that little things like that make for a better overall product. You said the price would go up, we are fine with the price increase just give us the quality. We love bearing supported knobs, etc. All these little things you guys could add and it would make the average enthusiast happy.

Shimano (and a lot of companys so dont feel like im pointing the finger) have to get over this wal-mart syndrom with the few bucks. We want quality. Clicking dragstars, clicking tension knobs, bearing supported knobs, painted reel seats on split-grip rods. We want you to make us feel when we buy something that it is superior and we want to know it. You can put all the wal-mart marketing into your lower end reels id recommend just implementing this in your 200+ dollar reels. Add 20 bucks for crying out loud this average american will pay it for those features. I really hate more then anything when I have to buy a Shimano or Daiwa product overseas just because its features suit me better. Maybe form some sort of aftermarket part company like Daiwa did with the IZE upgrade parts. I mean there's so many things you guys can do. It really gets to me when I see this wal-mart syndrom going around. America didnt use to be like this, it use to be about the very best quality along with complete customer satisfaction. The Japanese as people demand more then the average American does now a days, its sad but thats the way it is. I dont want to get into politics so ill end this post by saying please consider all those small things in future reel/rod releases they seriously do make or break a sale for people like us. Oh yeah and before I forget, I mentioned the SiC guides on your guys rods.. you guys dont need to use the titanium ones or anything like that just you guys putting SiC guides on your high end Shimano America rods should be a given now a days. They are better then the Alconites and yes.. we will pay for them. ;)

AmericanSkin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AmericanSkin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:39 am

You know, aside from a few members including Iangler, Scot, and Johnny, it seems as if much of this particular forum is being used to antagonize Bantam1 and the rest of the Shimano USA crew. This is absurd, considering the fact that they've chosen to take the considerable time and effort to create and maintain this support program despite no ostensible financial gain or direct conceptual competition from other manufacturers.

Wal-Mart marketing? That's an outright joke; the high-end US reel models, including the Calcutta DC and Calais variants, are identical to the JDM market and include Shimano's phenomenal warranty. Game, you purport to appreciate the upper echelon of the tackle market yet you refuse to acknowledge the fact that the elite sector of Shimano, be it JDM or USDM, is a mirror image of the other. The complaints being heaved at Bantam seem geared more to the low to mid-end market - if you demand the best, buy at the highest share of the market, and realize that all of these companies, regardless of your individual loyalties, are businesses. They are not here to cater to your specific wants and desires; though as enthusiasts we may feel entitled to a certain level of sophistication, there is only so much that any company can do to satisfy the consumer market.

Instead of asking the gracious employees here to construct a "better" reel than the Steez (which is purely personal opinion, by the way) or referencing JDM tackle that almost certainly has never been in your hands, why don't you attempt to understand the economics of the tackle business and use the forum for its intended purpose of general USDM queries and extended warranty support? We should be counting our blessings that we have a company in the US market that is devoted enough to its consumers, both enthusiast and casual, to share its knowledge base with us, free of charge and without obligation.

And if you've read the El Salto article, the new line of USDM rods does in fact come outfitted with SiC guides. A closer examination of many of the above posts will most likely reveal biases that undermine the effectiveness of this extremely valuable resource.[/i]

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:13 am

AmericanSkin,

:clap:

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:23 am

D.R. wrote:AmericanSkin,

D.R.
I second that....BIG TIME!

I've been really thinking about Bantam referring to all the "experts"...I think we have one here :lol: ....I can totally see where the guys coming from. Shimano has resources at their disposal most of us probably don't conceive. I'm also quite sure if ANYBODY does...Shimano knows their product :lol: I know some guys feel "emotionally and physically connected" to their reels but come on...give me a break! Throwing price out of the window when considering your market :lol: :lol: that's hilarious G.O.....you would be successful in business for about uhhh...as long as your personal funds would last to keep you afloat:lol: I would encourage Bantam to direct the entire marketing/administrative/design teams at Shimano to just read G.O's threads...you would sure save alot of money in market studies/analysis etc and could then put all the bells and whistles on our reels at half the current cost! G.O. I like you, you are a young guy and plenty full of vinegar...that's a good thing but dude...grow up a little, get over yourself, and quit impersonating the "upper tier" of society. You are 24 years old for Chr!$^ sake...no offense bro...but you know NOTHING yet! You are expert at NOTHING....none of us are...we simply gain experience through time. Learn to sit back and listen instead of having to be the center of attention....you are like the stranger that shows up at a party and acts like you've known everybody since kindergarten....you quote Fish Chris because in your world if he says it's so...well then it must be so and defend your positions based upon the fact that you got the "real scoop" that most others just simply don't know about. You consider yourself a FreeMason yet you were never asked to join!

"Make us something better than the Steez" :lol:
Last edited by Scot on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:39 am

Scot wrote:
D.R. wrote:AmericanSkin,

D.R.
I second that!
Agreed with the notable exception of the non-DC Conquest / Calcuttas. I do however get the impression SAC has a mental picture of tournament anglers as their target and I question that. I do understand that Dan is not going to recommend SIC products but also hope some of the refinements present in the SIC products be recognized and not dismissed as unpractical frivolity for the tournament fisherman. In other words, recognize and consider the enthusiasts market.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:53 am

If you open a support forum like these then you have to be realistic and expect criticisms and suggestions that come with the praises. Positive and negative customer feedbacks are both good.

I certainly appreciate Bantam1 and Shimano for being here and Bantam1 is doing a good job. Anyway, I still really believe that the market for lefties is there and is untapped. I'm that stubborn :evil: 8-)

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:28 am

you quote Fish Chris because in your world if he says it's so...
Who's Fish Chris?

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:36 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
Who's Fish Chris?
I'm not an active participant but read along and try to learn from the goings on at another fishing forum. Not sure what the TT policy is so I'll just say that if you would like to know what site it is..drop me a pm. Fish Chris is a "trophy hunter"/fishing nut....seems like a nice guy.

And Bantam...I think you'll find that most of us will admit to our own personal lack of intelligence...but collectively I think we = one smart dude :)

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:10 am

Here's a quick rundown:

1. Why I prefer "clicking" drag, cast control, mag brake adjustments.
It gives me a sense of where I'm at, if I need to adjust the drag while
I'm fighting a fish or fine-tuning the reel after changing a bait. Even if
there is no "0" setting marked, it provides a gauging point.

2. I would have to rate the Shimano Antares DC7 as the second best
reel I have ever used, with the TD Z 103-105 series being the first.
The Daiwa Steez third and Calcutta Conquest 100 number 4. One of
the best features on the Antares? The drag star, not because it was
neat but because it was ergonomic.

3. I'm not interested in "bling" or pretty colored reels. I would rate the
TD Ito best, even if were dull, Steez grey.

That's just a quick three off the top of my head.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:21 am

Scot wrote:"Make us something better than the Steez" :lol:
A Calais DC7 50Mg perhaps? :big grin: :laugh1:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:16 am

AmericanSkin wrote:We should be counting our blessings that we have a company in the US market that is devoted enough to its consumers, both enthusiast and casual, to share its knowledge base with us, free of charge and without obligation.

That's right. Over here, Shimano is a joke. They make good reels but that's not the point. It's imported by Normark Rapala.
-No real customer service. In fact they don't answer the phone from individuals.
-Even though in french, half the catalog is not available in the country!
-Over the counter warranty? never heard of!
-Took them about 10 years to figure they could maybe sell the good old curado! In fact until about 2001, you could choose between spinning reel and spinning reel!
-I've seen reels going back and forth more than 5 times between shimano and the store before maybe shimano would consider trading it for a new reel. Doesn't always happend though! I know customers who are right now sitting on a shimano calcutta reel that has never worked. And I'm no expert either but te store I used to worked at sold more stella 10000 than any other reel combined! Not exactly wal-mart!!!
-I think they order their reel from japan once maybe twice a year. They order the reels basically to cover the orders they have received already. So basically every time a customer walks in with a request, it's a 6 month wait. Shimano here has virtually no inventories. It's always out! Ginrin made a killing here! Tropical fishing (that's how it's called here) is highly popular. People buy loads of stella 10000 and saltiga! When people found out they could buy their stella just days before going fishing and pay 40% less, they went nuts! No wonder it was Ginrin Pêche and not ginrin fishing!!!

So GO, every day be grateful for the Shimano you have cause not everyone has it! And a guy from shimano on a forum like this one here??? that's SO cool! I don't think they even have computers over here, much less the internet!

So Bantam, if you ever meet the movers and shakers in japan tell them people are laughing here if you put customer service and shimano in the same sentence!

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Summary of whole post below-

I am grateful he has taken the time to post to this forum and carry on conversations. You guys can tag team me all you want if you get some sort of personal enjoyment out of it. Scot I take nothing you said personal I can see, in a way, where your coming from but you and half of the people who replyed cant see where im really coming from. I follow or quoted or w/e Fish Chris? I hardly know the guy and have maybe mentioned him one time on this forum since I been here in an example most likely, that is it. Whats so wrong about wanting the finest in quality in any price range? Are you saying there isnt a few things they can add in their 200+ dollar reels to make them just a little better? Yeah they have a flagship model and those are the ones I look at right away when looking at a companies offerings for the first time or when something new comes out. But- their flagship reel (anyones flagship) cant possibly cover all situations. In a market where people are using rods and reels technique specifically almost all of us are buying atleast one or two reels from there mid-high end line ups. So whats wrong that I want to see a little more on an already good product? Where did I say im an expert? Why must some of you feel the need to form a little cheering section against someones whos enthusiastic about every part of the fishing market? Some of you I know, some I consider even friends and I take no offense but comon, there is nothing wrong with what im saying. Its customers like me who always ask for more that keep companys on their toes. If it werent for customers who demand a certain expectation in a product they could get away with selling anything they want. You dont have to like my expectations in reels and rods but dont disrespect them. I respect everyones opinion and expect the same in return, even if its something you disagree on. I dont know what else to say but youll take this as you will. Sorry you feel that way and think you know what my real intentions are. Those who know me know im a very easy guy to get a long with and am often misunderstood. This last page of replys toward me is a prime example.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My Replys to everyones posts-
AmericanSkin wrote:You know, aside from a few members including Iangler, Scot, and Johnny, it seems as if much of this particular forum is being used to antagonize Bantam1 and the rest of the Shimano USA crew. This is absurd, considering the fact that they've chosen to take the considerable time and effort to create and maintain this support program despite no ostensible financial gain or direct conceptual competition from other manufacturers.
Im not antagonizeing him and I made that perfectly clear to him that I meant no disrespect what-so-ever, I also spoke maturely and in the same tone as the names you metioned. Why must you (and others) point me out? I addressed issues that I am concerned about.
Wal-Mart marketing? That's an outright joke; the high-end US reel models, including the Calcutta DC and Calais variants, are identical to the JDM market and include Shimano's phenomenal warranty. Game, you purport to appreciate the upper echelon of the tackle market yet you refuse to acknowledge the fact that the elite sector of Shimano, be it JDM or USDM, is a mirror image of the other. The complaints being heaved at Bantam seem geared more to the low to mid-end market - if you demand the best, buy at the highest share of the market, and realize that all of these companies, regardless of your individual loyalties, are businesses. They are not here to cater to your specific wants and desires; though as enthusiasts we may feel entitled to a certain level of sophistication, there is only so much that any company can do to satisfy the consumer market.
Are you saying that im wrong for wanting a little extra quality in the mid-high end products? Like I said earlyer.. reels and rods have became pretty technique specific and their Calais DC is not the only reel id want to use for all situations and on all rods. Wal-mart marketing- I mean when I said this in response to his post that will not include the clicking dragstars/spool tension knobs etc. A couple bucks is not going to make or break a deal for me, an average (if that) income American. Aside from the left handed availability of some reels none were complaints only suggestions from one customer who would love to see that extra pinch of quality/performance, call it what you will.
Instead of asking the gracious employees here to construct a "better" reel than the Steez (which is purely personal opinion, by the way) or referencing JDM tackle that almost certainly has never been in your hands, why don't you attempt to understand the economics of the tackle business and use the forum for its intended purpose of general USDM queries and extended warranty support? We should be counting our blessings that we have a company in the US market that is devoted enough to its consumers, both enthusiast and casual, to share its knowledge base with us, free of charge and without obligation.
Dont assume you know what ive used and havent used. If you clearly read this whole thread youll see he came out and said he would put his Calais A against anything in my arsenal. I then replyed with my opinion saying id put my Steez against it and stated this is my opinion. Why do you feel you have to attack my opinions and make me out to look like im being rude and obnoxious when im clearly conversating with him expressing my concerns?
And if you've read the El Salto article, the new line of USDM rods does in fact come outfitted with SiC guides. A closer examination of many of the above posts will most likely reveal biases that undermine the effectiveness of this extremely valuable resource.[/i]
I did read it.. I just dont remember every single detail that was said as too much was said.Bantam- Glad you guys are using them on the new rods, ill be buying atleast one.
Scot wrote:
Reel Old Geezer wrote:
Who's Fish Chris?
I'm not an active participant but read along and try to learn from the goings on at another fishing forum. Not sure what the TT policy is so I'll just say that if you would like to know what site it is..drop me a pm. Fish Chris is a "trophy hunter"/fishing nut....seems like a nice guy.

And Bantam...I think you'll find that most of us will admit to our own personal lack of intelligence...but collectively I think we = one smart dude :)
Fish Chris and I have talked on a few occasions, the only thing we seem to agree about when it comes to tackle is our braid. So I really would like to know where this is all coming from because it makes no sense what so ever to me. I may be wrong by saying this but if your saying this " think you'll find that most of us will admit to our own personal lack of intelligence" towards me. I spend hours upon hours doing reseach into things and testing stuff on my own on the water. You guys see me all over the boards. Im constantly studying gear and building relationships with people. Im by no mean a dummy when it comes to it. Im not saying im an expert but I do know some things. If it wasnt intended towards me then that part lost me.

Fbass wrote:
AmericanSkin wrote:We should be counting our blessings that we have a company in the US market that is devoted enough to its consumers, both enthusiast and casual, to share its knowledge base with us, free of charge and without obligation.

That's right. Over here, Shimano is a joke. They make good reels but that's not the point. It's imported by Normark Rapala.
-No real customer service. In fact they don't answer the phone from individuals.
-Even though in french, half the catalog is not available in the country!
-Over the counter warranty? never heard of!
-Took them about 10 years to figure they could maybe sell the good old curado! In fact until about 2001, you could choose between spinning reel and spinning reel!
-I've seen reels going back and forth more than 5 times between shimano and the store before maybe shimano would consider trading it for a new reel. Doesn't always happend though! I know customers who are right now sitting on a shimano calcutta reel that has never worked. And I'm no expert either but te store I used to worked at sold more stella 10000 than any other reel combined! Not exactly wal-mart!!!
-I think they order their reel from japan once maybe twice a year. They order the reels basically to cover the orders they have received already. So basically every time a customer walks in with a request, it's a 6 month wait. Shimano here has virtually no inventories. It's always out! Ginrin made a killing here! Tropical fishing (that's how it's called here) is highly popular. People buy loads of stella 10000 and saltiga! When people found out they could buy their stella just days before going fishing and pay 40% less, they went nuts! No wonder it was Ginrin Pêche and not ginrin fishing!!!

So GO, every day be grateful for the Shimano you have cause not everyone has it! And a guy from shimano on a forum like this one here??? that's SO cool! I don't think they even have computers over here, much less the internet!

So Bantam, if you ever meet the movers and shakers in japan tell them people are laughing here if you put customer service and shimano in the same sentence!
FBass im not familiar with your market but you can import stuff like a lot of us do. Its worth it.

Again Wal-mart is not refering to cheap im refering it to the deal shopping consumers who pay less and get less even if they think they're getting more. You apply this to reels your getting what you pay for, bottemline. Would a couple bucks really be an obsurd suggestion for clicking dragstars/spool tension knobs? This is just one example, there are many. Ofcourse we all want deals and to pay less but what your sacrifcing is greater to some of us then what your saveing.

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:38 pm

No G.O. the quote "lack of intelligence" wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular. It was a joke with a sense of humility that most of us here have.....I can't speak for everybody of course but certainly, I try not to take myself or life to seriously 'cos I probably would have offed myself by now if I did :lol: You will learn at some point...being the smart guy really sucks sometimes and it is much nicer being the dumbass in the corner who knows nothing. We all got a little "hot around the collar" at Bantam for his "expert" comment and I was simply trying to make light of it....that's all.