VBS brake maintenance/issues encountered

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

VBS brake maintenance/issues encountered

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 pm

I have many Shimano low pro reels, the majority of which use the VBS centrifugal braking system. To be honest I like it better than the SVS system, but perhaps I'm just a middle aged fishing guy set in his ways. I attempt in all ways to maintain my reels in manufacturer suggested ways, properly lubricate and clean them, and replace worn parts as needed. I have a CH100A that I was using this weekend in a tournament and it began to make a noise, at the end of the cast when the spool started slowing down, there was a ticking that corresponded with spool rpms(like playing cards in bicycle spokes). And then when I started reeling there was a similar ticking that corresponded with the speed at which I turned the handle. I first thought maybe corroded spool or pinion bearings. I had some oil with and hit them good with it, and the problem remained. Then I pushed all the green brake weights in, to turn them off, and the sound went away completely. I needed at least one weight on to cast my bait effectively so I did that. I also dropped a bunch of oil on the brake weight race, which helped momentarily but ultimately proved ineffective. When I got home I looked at the green brake weights and they didn't appear worn. I looked at the brass race and although a little dirty didn't appear to have any serious corrosion. I cleaned the race with a metal polish and q tips just to be safe, it is nice and shiny now. Then I inspected the brake posts and pressed in on all 6 of them and noticed that a few seemed to push back in towards the center of the spool. I have not fished with the reel since but will do so this weekend. I'm just curious of any similar experiences anyone has had with the VBS system and what I can do to make it keep running smooth. I know new reels have come out and I continue to buy Shimano whenever I get a new reel, but I can't let my old reels go. They are still my favorite and most have new gears/washers etc. and perform like champs.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: VBS brake maintenance/issues encountered

Post by Bantam1 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:39 am

Push on the brass pins on the spool towards the center. The pins can get loose over time, and being this is a CH100A model, the reel is probably well used at this point. The pin could push outward because the hole for the pin wears. This will make slight contact with the brake race and make noise.

If the pins are OK, the brake may need to be replaced. They wear from use. I also suggest turning the brakes to the on position and apply one drop of our Bantam oil to the back side of the brake (like pouring into a top hat). Allow the oil to sit for a little while and soften the material of the brake. Dab the excess off on a paper towel and go cast the reel. More than likely the noise will go away. You could always replace the brakes by giving us a call for a replacement set.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Take a good look at the plastic housing that the pins sit in. The older reels prior to the D series have been known to have the housing crack and cause the pins to come loose.
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 am

Yep housing cracking is big I find with earlier reels - "Craggle" glue does the job at fixing it.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu May 09, 2019 3:22 am

Slazmo wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 am
Yep housing cracking is big I find with earlier reels - "Craggle" glue does the job at fixing it.
Craggle! :lol: =D>
<")))><{

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun May 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips. I pushed in on all the pins and also replaced 2 of the brake weights that had become deformed and fished the reel hard all weekend and she is as good as new.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 am

I'm revisiting this post because the reel has acted up again. I did get a lot of good fishing time in before the ticking returned due to the vbs post coming loose. I looked at the plastic casing and sure enough there are cracks at the base of 2 of the posts. For those who have glued these before, what is the best process? Superglue at the base of the post, or directly on top of the crack?

Thanks in advance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:23 am

lifeofRiley wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 am
I'm revisiting this post because the reel has acted up again. I did get a lot of good fishing time in before the ticking returned due to the vbs post coming loose. I looked at the plastic casing and sure enough there are cracks at the base of 2 of the posts. For those who have glued these before, what is the best process? Superglue at the base of the post, or directly on top of the crack?

Thanks in advance.
Clean around the VBS hub at the base of the loose pin with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Let dry. It should dry quickly, because alcohol evaporates rapidly. Turn the VBS hub to the point that the loose pin is facing up. Push in firmly until it bottoms out, then pull the pin back out slightly. Place a tiny spot of superglue on the post where it meets the plastic hub. Immediately push in and rotate the pin, if you can, until it bottoms out. I finish with a sprinkle of baking soda on any exposed superglue, as this causes it to instantly crystallize as hard as glass. I learned that trick from a buddy who repairs the carbon fiber blades on his drone. He says he can file and shape it after filling in even big gaps and cracks in the blades.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Hit the very end of the pin with wet and dry around its outside as to give it some "key" for the glue to set against. It's quiet a small area and a challenge but I did it and hasn't moved since.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 pm
Hit the very end of the pin with wet and dry around its outside as to give it some "key" for the glue to set against. It's quiet a small area and a challenge but I did it and hasn't moved since.
That's a great idea as an additional measure to insure correct adhesion. =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:46 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 pm
What exactly is wet and dry?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:02 am

Sorry... Again Strine at play...

Aluminium oxide sand paper - we call it wet & and dry for short.

600 grade would be best.