metanium mgl and chronarch mgl gear interchangeability

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

metanium mgl and chronarch mgl gear interchangeability

Post by antoniolopez944 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 am

Hi, I was wondering if the metanium mgl and the chronarch mgl gears were interchangeable. I recently purchased a metanium mgl, and I felt it was a little dry. So I opened it up and greased it and I can feel every gear moving inside now. The metaniums gears almost have like a vibration to them and feels almost a little rough. With no weight it feels decently smooth but under pressure it feels a little rough. I have preformed maintenance on my other shamano reels such as the core and curado i. I have never encountered this problem before. I checked to make sure the gears were properly aligned before closing up the reels. My core feels smoother than the mgl.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: metanium mgl and chronarch mgl gear interchangeability

Post by Strewth » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:06 pm

This roughness/vibration is a known problem with the Met 13, and seems to be a feature of the alloy drive gear/brass pinion gear combination.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74837

Since the gears are the same in the MGL, the same issue may arise after use. I asked about brass gears for the Met 13/MGL and was told that they are not available. I'll buy a set if they are!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 pm

The gears in the '13 Metanium and Chronarch CI4 will not swap, so I would say the MGL models won't swap since the frames haven't changed.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 pm

The Chronarch gearing is not the same as the Metanium. They will not swap.

More frequent service is the answer to the issue. Use the correct grease and the correct amount. Gears do wear and may require replacement from use. If you have purchased the reel in the past year, it could be a warranty issue. You can send the reel in with a copy of your receipt and we will take a look at it.

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm

My metanium mgl was purchased from Japan and is the jdm model. I purchased the jdm model for the shallower line capacity. Something I noticed is when the drag is barely on the gearing is smooth but as soon as I start to increase the drag the reel begins to feel a little rough. I don't know if the warranty still applies since it was purchased from Japan. The reel is 1 week old.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Not really helping, but i had a similar issue
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... &hilit=mgl

I'm not sure what compelled me to get another one to try, but the 2nd one is smoother than the one mentioned in the above post. However, in reality, I don't notice an issue whilst on the water with either reels.

Both reels from Japan, both left hand, both the 6.2 (not HG or XG) model.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Our warranty covers reels purchased in Japan. I would contact the overseas dealer where the reel was purchased and see if they will replace it for you. The other option is to send the reel to us for repair.

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:00 am

Thanks for the help everyone and I'm probably going to send my reel in to get it looked at. Something I did notice when I took the reel apart one more time was that I made sure to put the washers under the drag nut like this )( . This seemed to help the reel feel super smooth under load but still feels a little geary on a retrieve with not much weight on it.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 am

Any solutions to this problem? My chronarch mgl is quite "geary" feeling as well. I love the way the reel fits in my hand but it has a very noticeable feeling and vibration. Even a distinct sound upon retrieval. Does not bother me much if it is the only reel i use that day but when i use another (tatula sv, bantam mgl) which are super smooth then go back to the chronarch mgl it is night and day.
My tatulas are still butter smooth even after 5 years of hauling in salmon and steelhead.......
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 am

I suggest sending in the reel for service. If the reel is still within the one year warranty period you can request the reel be evaluated for warranty repair.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am

1nutinthewater wrote:Any solutions to this problem? My chronarch mgl is quite "geary" feeling as well. I love the way the reel fits in my hand but it has a very noticeable feeling and vibration. Even a distinct sound upon retrieval. Does not bother me much if it is the only reel i use that day but when i use another (tatula sv, bantam mgl) which are super smooth then go back to the chronarch mgl it is night and day.
My tatulas are still butter smooth even after 5 years of hauling in salmon and steelhead.......
Problem solved! On the advice of another I put a nice coating of cal's drag grease on the gear and now she is quite smooth.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:45 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:Any solutions to this problem? My chronarch mgl is quite "geary" feeling as well. I love the way the reel fits in my hand but it has a very noticeable feeling and vibration. Even a distinct sound upon retrieval. Does not bother me much if it is the only reel i use that day but when i use another (tatula sv, bantam mgl) which are super smooth then go back to the chronarch mgl it is night and day.
Problem solved! On the advice of another I put a nice coating of cal's drag grease on the gear and now she is quite smooth.
UPDATE: "quite smooth" did not last even one outing so i sent it back to Shimano and just got it back today. They replaced the drive gear and pinion but no explanation. Will see if it is smooth as new next outing.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Curado K gears fit in the Met MGL and Met 13

Done both of mine and they are super smooth...

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=77338

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 am

The CU K pinion gear will not work in the MET MGL. You can use the main gear but you need to use the MET pinion gear. You also have to change to the drag washer from the CU K because of the difference in the internal dimension is slightly different.