But what about TDA153HST and a rod swap? Wrong forum topic?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Comicozzi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

But what about TDA153HST and a rod swap? Wrong forum topic?

Post by Comicozzi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:08 am

I posted another thread about fuego handle which was graciously answered by D.R.

I am beginning the process of replacing my lower end private lable reels with possibly a general workhorse at a decent price...
TDA153HST

I am very fickle about handles / cranks / knobs. D.R. gave me a source for a Fuego handle upgrade but what about an upgrade for the TD-Advantage supertuned? Will the same handle Part # F83-7201 for the TD-Z work for the TDA153HST? for $40 a 4 ball bearing handle seems like a no brainer.

90% of my fishing is some kind of finesse fishing whether it is a worm or jig. I only use crankbaits only when forced and even then, my home waters are so beat to death with crankbait users that I find myself at a real advantage using jerkbaits.

So my plan is to purchase a couple TDA153HST, focus my fuego on the lightest of soft jerkbaits, no weight or very little and use the Advantage for all my other techniques.

I have a Team Daiwa S rod 6'6" TL-661-5RB heavy which seems a little too heavy for the fuego (great rod) and what I would really like to use it for. I was going to mount the Advantage reel on that stick for texas rigs and maybe spend a little more for a higher quality rod with the Fuego hopefully having the ability to really step the accuracy and distance for lighter baits and increase the sensitivity.

With the coupon from monster tackle in the "hot deals" section, this may be a great time for me to start really building my arsenal.

This a rambling post so I will cut to the chase.
1. Handle Swaps for Team Daiwa Advantage TDA153HST
2. Rod to partner with my Fuego for the lighter end of soft jerkbaits.
3. General consensus on rod length for finesse application, am I selling my self short by sticking with a 6'6" rod?
4. TDA153HST pitching performance with medium weight baits under 1/2 oz? Preferred or recommended rods? Kistler, others?

Any advice or comments is appreciated.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: But what about TDA153HST and a rod swap? Wrong forum top

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:17 am

Cozi,

Welcome to the forum!

Might help narrow choices down if you mention a budget you'd like to stick with in your search for this rod to match to your Fuego.

Otherwise, rod length is really up to you and what you're comfortable with. In general, longer rod will gain you some distance in casting and more hooksetting leverage, but you'll lose some accuracy in your presentations until you grow accustomed to your rod.

A shorter rod is easier to work if you're employing any kind of jerking or popping retrieve.

I'll leave the handle questions to others though I'm 90% certain the handle fixes for a Fuego will be compatible with the Advantage.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Comicozzi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: But what about TDA153HST and a rod swap? Wrong forum top

Post by Comicozzi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:29 am

My budget is usually value vs. price
I spend money where appropriate if it is a smart decision.

I usually invest in quality over hype! or at least try to!