Fuego handle swap, I AM A NEWBIE

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Comicozzi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Fuego handle swap, I AM A NEWBIE

Post by Comicozzi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:00 pm

I have just recently bought a real reel.
A fuego at a decent deal, fished with it for about a month and love it.

I am very satisfied, would like to do a handle upgrade, specifically with ball bearing handles. I have check out Brooklyn Bills and the other sites. I am new to the Daiwa world and would like to know which handles would fit mine, suggestions etc.

I appreciate any input.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fuego handle swap, I AM A NEWBIE

Post by D.R. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:12 pm

C,

I know what you mean about the handle. Go with a Daiwa TD-Z handle. Four bearings and fits like a glove.

Call Daiwa 1-800-736-4653, Part # F83-7201, $39.00

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

Comicozzi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Comicozzi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:14 am

Thank you... I am a newbie here but not to fishing.

I grew up fishing Lake Okeechobee, my grandfather was a guide there off the Kissimee River. I was a little scared my forum status as a newbie and my use of the term in my topic would prevent the more knowledgable folks from replying to my post.

I live in Indiana and grandfather has passed away many many years ago. Now I live on a 300 acre lake and have a boat in front of my house on the water. My best memories fishing are with grandpa and his discerning criteria for rods and reels has now begun to surface in me.

The handle on the Fuego is the only item I am not happy with.

I appreciate your help, thanks!

shadow745
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shadow745 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:14 am

I have to agree with D.R. There are several handles available for Daiwa baitcasters, but I'd go with the stock TD-Z handle. I've been thinking of putting one on my TD-X. Having to live right on the water must be a hard thing to do, right? Must be nice!

Later!

BTW, D.R. is the stock handle really only $39 from the factory? I was looking to buy one on a site (I think it's called Japan Tackle) and they want $65 or so for the same thing. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Comicozzi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Comicozzi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:32 am

it comes with its own challenges. the lake is 300 acres but shared among many residents.

Boaters hate weeds, the neighborhood association works to keep them down at the expense of habitat.

Greedy people keep the fish with no concern for the bass management.

This spring, very early and cold a die hard caught a 5 lb and 7.5 lb deep so I know there are large bass in the lake, just got tweak the techniques to catch the big fish. So far this year my best has been 3.5 lb on a large rapala floating. Last year my personal best was 4lb.

I am starting to learn how to pattern the fish pretty well and finding the fish beating the shad is key, if I can find them and there are still shad around, you can throw just about anything that looks like a minnow and be in the fish. To catch the larger fish I am trying to find a pattern of fishing a little deeper where the fish are on the locator and run some rattle traps through them. I am going to try that tomorrow. Not my preferred technique but we all have to adapt!

In florida, the fishing was complete different and much easier. It takes some time getting used to.

shadow745
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shadow745 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:40 am

They need to keep as much vegetation as possible. That can only help the bass population. There should be limits as well. Regardless of what size largemouth I catch (my biggest being around 11 lbs.) I release everything. The only way I'd keep one is if there was a chance it'd be a state record. Here in North Carolina it'd have to be 16 or better to make that happen. Only reason for that would be because a fish that size in this state would definitely be near its death. I truly believe in catch and release to keep them big in the future. Later!

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:57 am

Shadow

Yes the TD-Z 4 bearing handle is $39.

I have bought about 30 in the last year working on peoples reels

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle