problem on VIENTO (CHUCK PLEASE HELP) or anybody

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
robass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

problem on VIENTO (CHUCK PLEASE HELP) or anybody

Post by robass » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am

on the retrieve on my viento im getting a very slight knock inside the reel . It does not happen all the time only periodically . it seems to knock every revolution of the spool but also difficult to tell because it is so slight. Going to give the reel a good lube with Quantum hot sauce oil and grease the gears .Have any of you had this problem with any of your TD reels.?

shadow745
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: problem on VIENTO (CHUCK PLEASE HELP) or anybody

Post by shadow745 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:30 am

One simple thing to check is how the line is spooled on. See if there is a coil or 2 of line sticking out away from the spool. Sometimes something as simple as this can cause some friction as the spool rotates. Another thing to check is the rim(s) of the spool. Make sure they don't have any buildup (dirt) on them. How long has it been since you've owned the reel? Serviced it? Later!

robass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robass » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:07 am

thanks shadow
ive only had the reel for 3 weeks, bit just today received some hot sauce lube (grease and oil) in the mail and have stripped the reel and re lubed it .It seems a hell of alot smoother but i still seem to feel a very slight knock under a slight load , maybe just my imagination will need to take it out and test it. thanks once again for your post.

shadow745
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shadow745 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 am

Sounds like you're on the right track. The factory lubrication is OK, but it's more for longevity and not performance. Hot Sauce oil/grease are really good products. I'm like you, give it a try and see how it functions. Only then would I tear it down and look for a specific problem. Later!

robass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robass » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:34 am

tried the reel last evening casting a practice plug. the problem of the knock is still there but very slight . if i turn in the cast control knob it seems to eliminate the knock altogether but obviously this will restrict your casting performance

SOME BODY PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadow745
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shadow745 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:03 am

Has it been like that since you bought it? Try this. Take the spool out and see how it reels now. If you still feel it it's in the drivetrain, if not then there's a problem with the spool. I don't have any experience with this particular reel, but all new Daiwa baitcasters are pretty much the same. I've been using and modifying them for the last 20 years or so. I've seen bent frames, damaged spool lips, etc. that cause catches like you're describing. Try what I was talking about with the spool and let us know. Later!

robass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robass » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:42 am

thanks shadow
its been like that since ive had it ,if i take the spool out and crank it ,its buttery smooth thats why it is so confusing.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:52 am

robass, you mentioned something about tightening the cast control cap seems to take care of the issue, but obviously, limits casting performance...

You're probably doing this already, make sure you are tightening it to a point where there is no side to side movement in the spool. If not, the reel will certainly behave the way you are describing.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

robass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robass » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:07 am

thanks Cal
will be taking the reel out this weekend on a proper fishing trip ,this is probably the only way i can truly test it ,will let you know on Monday.

shadow745
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by shadow745 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:21 am

Yeah Cal sems to be right. I've been using baitcasters for a long time and adjusting the cast control cap is critical. You don't want it too loose because there'll be side-to-side play, but you don't want to crank it down either. I tighten mine until the spool just will move back-forth maybe 1/32 of an inch, just enough to notice and it works fine. If it's tightened too much you could dimple the shim in the cap and that can cause problems. Later!