Questions for ChuckE Re: Pixy Drag

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Questions for ChuckE Re: Pixy Drag

Post by just4kix » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:14 am

Hey Chuck! I have a few questions regarding the TD-Z105HL parts you listed for the pixy drag upgrade. I have a TD-Z105H Schematic and I was able to locate TD-Z eared washer (key No: 78, Part No.: F79-6102) however, it's listed as Key No. 77 and the TD-Z key washer (Key No: 80, Part No.: F796303) is listed as Key No. 79. My main concern is that I'm unable to locate the Td-Z spacing washer (Key No: 82, Part No.: E42-5401)? It's not listed on my TD-Z105H Schematic at all? :? Although I'll be holding off with the upgrade until hearing your findings, I want to be certain about the correct parts. Any help is appreciated! :D

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Questions for ChuckE Re: Pixy Drag

Post by ChuckE » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:23 pm

j4k wrote:
Hey Chuck! I have a few questions regarding the TD-Z105HL parts you listed for the pixy drag upgrade. I have a TD-Z105H Schematic and I was able to locate TD-Z eared washer (key No: 78, Part No.: F79-6102) however, it's listed as Key No. 77 and the TD-Z key washer (Key No: 80, Part No.: F796303) is listed as Key No. 79. My main concern is that I'm unable to locate the Td-Z spacing washer (Key No: 82, Part No.: E42-5401)? It's not listed on my TD-Z105H Schematic at all? Although I'll be holding off with the upgrade until hearing your findings, I want to be certain about the correct parts. Any help is appreciated!
J4K,

The reason you can't find it on your schematic is because it is for the Right Hand model of the reel (TD-Z103 and 105s are the same in right hand models). The right hand model of the TD-Z103 and 105 reels do not have the washer like the left hand TD-Z 105HL reel. [The left hand 103ML and HL also have the washer, but the TD-ito 103HL does not, and the TD-ito 105HL does.] Wierd, huh!?

I checked my schematic and it lists the part numbers in my original post. I also check the schematics I got with my last 3 TD-Z and they also show the same key number, but I can't read the part numbers or the part name because its in Japaneese. However, they do show the same key numbers on all 4 schematics.

The ear washer is Part No F79-6102 and the Key Washer is Part Number F79-6303.

Here is a link to a TD-Z105HL schematic ... Z105HL.pdf

On the TD-Z105HLs the small washer goes between the spacing sleeve (Key No 83, which rides in the roller bearing) and the top washer on the drag stack (listed as Key Washer B, Key No 81). The small washer is shown on 105HL schematics as Key No 82, and is actually called a Spacing Sleeve, Part No E42-5401.

There are a lot of other subtle differences in the schematics between the left and right hand version of the same model Daiwa reel. Key numbers are often labeled in a different order, and Part Numbers and Names can be different for a number of reasons.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:21 am

Thanks for the reply Chuck! Will I actually be able to use the spacing sleeve from the TD-Z LH for a right handed pixy? I did notice on my schematic a spacing sleeve, Key No. 89 which sits betweens the drag sping washer(s) and Star Drag but I imagine in may different in size, etc. Also, when I click on the schematic link, Error comes up on the screen :?

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:10 am

j4k,
I suspect you will still need the washer, but can't say for sure since there may be some minor manufacturing differences in the right hand version vs the left hand version of the Pixy (like on some of the other Daiwa low profile reels). [I don't have access to any right hand pixies.] My gut tells me you will, because the washer is .6 mm thick and that is about 1/20th of the total drag stack thickness when done.

Whether you need to use the washer that goes between the drag friction washers and the bottom of the drag star depends on several things. I suspect you'll still need to use the washer, but the drag may actually work better with out it after the upgrade, since the range of adjustment gets much wider. (You'll have to determine that after the upgrade.) Also, the condition of the friction washers themselves may require the washer if they have lost any spring with use.

Here's another way to get the schematic. Go to this website and scroll about 1/4 the way down the page, and find the TD-Z103/105 and click on it:

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schemati ... &start=800

Chuck

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:39 am

Great info. Chunk! Thanks! :D