Bearing cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bearing cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner

Post by bigturtle » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:05 am

I noticed that sometimes when I put a bearing (hybrid ceramic most of the time) in an ultrasonic cleaner, it comes out with a rough feel after a 5-6min session. I mostly do this to aliexpress bearings (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001305143660.html). I only use plain water + dawn dish soap in my cleaner. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling best, but it feels like theres extra small debris or something hard in the bearing. Its not crunchy like a rusted one.

Why am I getting this rough feeling after cleaning? Am I damaging the bearings by using an ultrasonic cleaner? or are the bearings themselves the problem?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bearing cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner

Post by Cracker » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:16 am

What I watched several times - it is not recommended to keep bearings (includes stainless steel) for more than 60 seconds.
I use some Krytox grease and oil and found this video how to clean bearings.

https://youtu.be/97xYjQSTCow?si=5Dyl7SPRQFy_4Iys

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:34 pm

Cavitation pitting, especially with bigger Wattage units and some of the solutions - dissimilar metals etc in the solution...

I'm not a fan of ultrasonic cleaning with all things.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:06 pm

Oh no, I was not aware. I will stop using ultrasonic cleaner for the bearings. Are there any other parts I should be careful of? I throw everything except the frame, side covers, and handle assembly in there.

This is the ultrasonic cleaner I have: https://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-MGUC5 ... B007Q2M17K

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:37 pm

The small jewellery ones aren't too bad, but the more commercial sized jobs that heat the water up a lot more can be more on parts.

But if you've ever seen what cavitation can do on metal parts it's eve opening. I typically just wash bearings by hands in degreaser and flush under warm water to clean off the solution - don't over complicate it.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:00 pm

I use a small battery powered vibration-type cleaner. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning solution, then dry them on a towel with a hair dryer. Ive only had one bearing change from "good" to "bad" with a cleaning. I suspect that it was already bad, and I only removed the crud from the pits in the balls and/or the races. I have had bearings seem bad after a cleaning, but smoothed out very nicely after proper lubrication.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:32 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:00 pm
I use a small battery powered vibration-type cleaner. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning solution, then dry them on a towel with a hair dryer. Ive only had one bearing change from "good" to "bad" with a cleaning. I suspect that it was already bad, and I only removed the crud from the pits in the balls and/or the races. I have had bearings seem bad after a cleaning, but smoothed out very nicely after proper lubrication.
Can you link the cleaner you use?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:30 am

I bought it second-hand at a junk store. Theres no nomenclature on it at all. I assume its just a cheapo, made in China product. It has a snap-on lid and and removable cup/liner, with suction cup feet, and runs on 3 AA baterries.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:20 am

I use them all the time, and even had the exact same ultrasonic cleaner that you have. After you pull them out of a cleaner, some do feel rougher than they should be (not all of them, tho. bunch of my hedgehog and zpi bearings are perfectly smooth and silent after a bath). But after use, the roughness goes away real quick.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:18 pm

Maybe just a normal feeling of dry bearing as long as it doesn’t make sound and smooth spin after add oil, I wouldn’t worry about it. I soak my in acetone/nail cleaner in a jar on top of aquarium air pump, then wash off with isopropyl alcohol and let air dry overnight.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:01 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:30 am
I bought it second-hand at a junk store. Theres no nomenclature on it at all. I assume its just a cheapo, made in China product. It has a snap-on lid and and removable cup/liner, with suction cup feet, and runs on 3 AA baterries.
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/Frequency-Vibrati ... B0CM9TBYH4
SSS wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:20 am
I use them all the time, and even had the exact same ultrasonic cleaner that you have. After you pull them out of a cleaner, some do feel rougher than they should be (not all of them, tho. bunch of my hedgehog and zpi bearings are perfectly smooth and silent after a bath). But after use, the roughness goes away real quick.
I did continue to use a few of the bearings afterwards, but did not notice the roughness go away. They also didnt freespin better/equal to when it was new, which leads me to think something went wrong
Just_Bass wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:18 pm
Maybe just a normal feeling of dry bearing as long as it doesn’t make sound and smooth spin after add oil, I wouldn’t worry about it. I soak my in acetone/nail cleaner in a jar on top of aquarium air pump, then wash off with isopropyl alcohol and let air dry overnight.
Its hard to tell if its making more sound since they're ceramic balls, but it definitely doesnt freespin as much as it did when it was brand new.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 am

Would be nice if you could post a short vid. Because i have been doing this for a while now, and unless the bearing wasn't in great shape to begin with, after an ultra sonic bath, it shouldn't become much worse than it was.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:29 pm

bigturtle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:01 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:30 am
Something like this?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 am
Would be nice if you could post a short vid. Because i have been doing this for a while now, and unless the bearing wasn't in great shape to begin with, after an ultra sonic bath, it shouldn't become much worse than it was.
you can definitely overdo it for bearings in the ultrasonic and cause fretting damage. Happens with hybrids more easily than standard stainless bearings….dont ask me how i know (rip to some of my zpi bearings). I try to run the ultrasonic for no more than 5min on bearings. If there’s still hard debris in it past that i find a waterpik is more effective. Your mileage may vary but that’s just what i’ve found working on my own stuff.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 am

I use a Bearing Blaster with WD-40 Industrial Degreaser, quick and easy. I did the ultrasonic thing for some years prior, but this does just as good and is much faster.

https://rpmrcproducts.com/shop/tools/bearing-blaster/