Spinning Reel Cleaning

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning Reel Cleaning

Post by cadman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:25 am

For those of you guys that clean your spinning reels. What is your process. I am more interested about what do you do to your bearings inside the reel. Do you clean inside of the body completely? If you do, do you oil or grease your frame bearings and what about any other bearings. The gears and the moving parts I assume everyone puts grease on. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinning Reel Cleaning

Post by zalan » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:47 pm

If it is a shielded, closed bearing, I just wipe it clean, do not touch the inside if it works fine. If it is noisy, I just replace it. If it is open, you can easily clean it a regrease.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning Reel Cleaning

Post by Slazmo » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:35 am

Pull everything down to its smallest part and deep clean everything - bearings get soaked in degreaser and brushed to agitate any caked grease from the years.

Anything less isn't a service but a wipe and oil / lube job, and there are a lot of guys doing this calling it a service which it's not.