Zillion/Alphas SV TW Raspy after Saltwater Season

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion/Alphas SV TW Raspy after Saltwater Season

Post by reason162 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:20 pm

Plenty of grease on the gears and drive shaft bearing (I flood that cavity with aquashield grease), and it's making noise while not under load, so I suspect pinion bearings.

What should I replace it with? Daiwa CRBBs? Should I pack those with grease as well?

Any advice appreciated - these are dedicated saltwater reels at this point. I don't care that much about free rotation.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Zillion/Alphas SV TW Raspy after Saltwater Season

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:42 pm

I'd say check free spool first. If that isn't good, the spool bearings need replacement. Next, if the reel still feels rough, replace the lower pinion bearing. The upper pinion bearing would be next, but not likely because it is built with a castle seal, plus an o-ring. Last suspect would be the upper drive shaft bearing. Unless salt has infiltrated the gear-side plate, those are the usual suspects that are most exposed to water infiltration.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:08 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:42 pm
I'd say check free spool first. If that isn't good, the spool bearings need replacement. Next, if the reel still feels rough, replace the lower pinion bearing. The upper pinion bearing would be next, but not likely because it is built with a castle seal, plus an o-ring. Last suspect would be the upper drive shaft bearing. Unless salt has infiltrated the gear-side plate, those are the usual suspects that are most exposed to water infiltration.
Thanks!!

Freespool is good - which is the upper and which is the lower pinion bearing?

And what bearings would you replace them with - hopefully for longer life in saltwater?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:18 am

CRBB has a miniscule amount of surface coating on the bearing race that wears out within the first few uses - the metal is then exposed - stick to routine maintenance than gymic technology.

And don't forget that most bearings especially stainless are the bare minimum to maintain hardness and maintain a usable stain-less product.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:40 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:18 am
CRBB has a miniscule amount of surface coating on the bearing race that wears out within the first few uses - the metal is then exposed - stick to routine maintenance than gymic technology.

And don't forget that most bearings especially stainless are the bare minimum to maintain hardness and maintain a usable stain-less product.
Thanks Slazmo! Obviously spool bearings get oil (TSI 321 in my case) - but would you load the pinion bearings with grease for a saltwater-only reel?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:25 am

I simply pack frame bearings with Yamaha Blue Grease. A tube should last a lifetime. Between that and TSI, I haven’t had to replace any parts in years. Reels still get crusty after a while, but everything cleans up like new when serviced.
Any stainless bearings should be fine for frame bearings, pack with grease and they will be protected.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:20 am

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:25 am
I simply pack frame bearings with Yamaha Blue Grease. A tube should last a lifetime. Between that and TSI, I haven’t had to replace any parts in years. Reels still get crusty after a while, but everything cleans up like new when serviced.
Any stainless bearings should be fine for frame bearings, pack with grease and they will be protected.
Thanks Jeff!

Do you have a source for bearings? I'll likely pack the drive/pinion bearings with aquashield (I have 2lbs of it lol)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:06 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:08 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:42 pm
Thanks!!

Freespool is good - which is the upper and which is the lower pinion bearing?

And what bearings would you replace them with - hopefully for longer life in saltwater?
Lower pinion can be seen when the spool is removed. Upper pinion is under the cc cap.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:17 pm

reason162 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:20 am

Thanks Jeff!

Do you have a source for bearings? I'll likely pack the drive/pinion bearings with aquashield (I have 2lbs of it lol)
Ive bought a couple 10 packs off EBay from the R/C suppliers. They are smooth when packed with grease and have held up well. Can’t remember ever having to replace one, but have plenty of extras now just in case. Those pinion bearings Tim mentioned are definitely the ones to worry about.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:03 am

reason162 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:40 am
Slazmo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:18 am

Thanks Slazmo! Obviously spool bearings get oil (TSI 321 in my case) - but would you load the pinion bearings with grease for a saltwater-only reel?
Depends on the weights casting? I mean oil is the best but a good low viscosity grease with a NLGI-0000 used in moderation is also a good choice - but will restrict spool speed.

Depends on what you want out of the reel - if your casting bigger baits a grease won't hurt that much but give better protection against centrifugal forces.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:11 pm

Does anyone have the bearing sizes for

21 Zillion - 2x Pinion, Drive gear

Alphas SV TW - pinion/drive gear

Catalina TW (previous Zillion HD?) - pinion/drive gear

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:58 am

Many get carried away with too much grease in saltwater reels. Or not thoroughly cleaning/flushing bearings and allowing them time to dry prior to greasing. I still have 25+yr old Green Curados still in saltwater service. Fish Galveston area, wading the surf/bay (reels have been inadvertently dunked) and will require immediate attention when i get to the house. Too much grease can hold the saltwater in and leave plenty of salt deposits behind mixing in the grease as the reel is used. Only bearing on my reels that will get grease is the drive shaft bearing (the old green Curados would allow water in on the backside). Other non-spool bearings get the thicker viscosity Abu reel oil, and still use Yellow rocket fuel for spool bearings.
I use Boca Bearings ceramic Abec5's nothing special when replacing bearings. Lightly spray off my reels after a fishing trip (wouldn't believe how many think submerging in a bucket of freshwater is ok). Probably, break down and clean my "Salt Only" gear 3-4 times a year depending on how the reel feels and amount of salt trips I've done.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:35 am

Just broke down a reel that was dunked 4 times in the last 1.5 years and still worked well :shock:
Some salt caked up in the side plates, but thanks to proper lubricants, no parts needed to be replaced. If anything needed replacing it would be frame bearings, so $15 for the 3 frame bearings and back in business. Not the end of the world. Definitely felt a little crunchy but I’m not picky on that. I do place it in a bowl of water when I get home to wash out all the salt I can get out before servicing, but it’ll always leave some. Maybe I’ll post a pic :?

Note: My saltwater reels get used and abused constantly and not ashamed of my routine. When I was guiding, there was little time to service reels so the lubricants became the focus and longevity was most important regardless of what happens on each trip. Not guiding anymore, but still go by the same routine :lol:

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:29 am

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:35 am
Just broke down a reel that was dunked 4 times in the last 1.5 years and still worked well :shock:
Some salt caked up in the side plates, but thanks to proper lubricants, no parts needed to be replaced. If anything needed replacing it would be frame bearings, so $15 for the 3 frame bearings and back in business. Not the end of the world. Definitely felt a little crunchy but I’m not picky on that. I do place it in a bowl of water when I get home to wash out all the salt I can get out before servicing, but it’ll always leave some. Maybe I’ll post a pic :?

Note: My saltwater reels get used and abused constantly and not ashamed of my routine. When I was guiding, there was little time to service reels so the lubricants became the focus and longevity was most important regardless of what happens on each trip. Not guiding anymore, but still go by the same routine :lol:
pretty much my approach it’s just knowing the quirks of your gear + specific fishing environment and choosing the grease with the specific properties you prefer and knowing where to put it. Routine preventative maintenance is key but you want something that’ll perform with enough longevity so you don’t have to constantly worry about it.

My lubes choice for anyone interested:

aquashield grease - Drive gears, general coating of most parts

It is incredibly sticky and a total pain in the butt to work with at first but it’s the best i’ve tried yet in terms of staying put where applied, repelling water, not emulsifying with water when it does eventually get in, and resisting washing out. I mix mine with 0.5micron tungsten disulfide as an additive which is totally optional and not necessary at all.

Thinned out aquashield with corrosion X oil at varying thicknesses for specific applications like frame bearings and worm gears.

cals drag grease - drag washers

cals thinned with corrosionX: roller clutch

tsi 321 - spool bearings

This is just what I’ve found works the best over the years for me but everyone is different. At the end of the day use whatever works for you regardless of what strangers on the internet tell you.