Daiwa Z2020SHL Issues

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Z2020SHL Issues

Post by trav » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:38 pm

Recent picked up a used Z2020. The back story I got was that it would occasionally engage while casting, and sometimes would let out line whole the reel is just sitting, not being used. Line was flouro carbon, so I can’t say it’s just slippage like you get with braided line without a backing. I took the reel apart, gave a really good clean, put grease and oil where grease and oil should go, and finally got to take it out to fish with. Now here’s my issue…

On the cast, there is a faint clicking sound. The reel doesn’t engage or feel like it’s trying to, and there doesn’t feel like there’s any extra friction, just clicking. On the retrieve, about every 1/8 turn, there’s a bit of a tight spot, then it frees up to normal, until the next 1/8 turn. Also on the retrieve, there is a slight “metal on metal” sound.

***Disclaimer - I knew this reel was a can of worms when I bought it. I tinker with reels a lot, this is just the first time I’ve been stumped and unable to troubleshoot without help. ***

Without taking the reel back apart yet, I’m assuming I have an issue with:

Anti-reverse bearing? Either shot or need oil?

Spool conductor? Never messed with one before, but this is a 10 year old reel that’s been used for swimbait likely it’s whole life outside its box.

Has anyone ever had this issue or had to fix this issue? Any help or tips are greatly appreciated

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Z2020SHL Issues

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:58 pm

Sounds like that Z has been fished hard and just put away.

Have you removed the backup anti-reverse dog leg? It sounds like you may have a burr on the main or pinion, have you checked the gears closely? The clicking on the cast is weird, possibly a bad bearing or slightly bent spool edge? And yes, you may want it use a thin oil on the IAR bearing.

Sounds like there could be a myriad of things that could be contributing.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:24 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:58 pm
Sounds like that Z has been fished hard and just put away.

Have you removed the backup anti-reverse dog leg? It sounds like you may have a burr on the main or pinion, have you checked the gears closely? The clicking on the cast is weird, possibly a bad bearing or slightly bent spool edge? And yes, you may want it use a thin oil on the IAR bearing.

Sounds like there could be a myriad of things that could be contributing.
The anti reverse dog leg is still in the reel. The tags don’t look bent or out of place. The spool looks like it’s straight with no dings or anything. The spool bearing didn’t feel like it was binding or anything either. The drive and pinion gear all look fine with no burrs or bent or smashed in teeth

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:41 pm

Still, the slight binding on the 1/8 turns may be an indication of slight misaligned gear cut/teeth. Hard to say unless you have a good set of gears from a different Z to swap over.

So you think the clicking could be debris in the spool bearing?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:29 pm

Bent spool shaft/axle possibly?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:49 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:29 pm
Bent spool shaft/axle possibly?
Dang, that would have been a pretty heavy load put on that spool, maybe pulling a snag?

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:13 pm

Haven’t gotten to take it back apart yet.

I did read somewhere that the little plastic blocks in the conductor can get dirty and make the reel a little loud. Who knows. I’m also wondering if the anti-reverse bearing is the root cause of the issues. The reel has a tight spot on the retrieve about every 1/8 turn, then frees up. That anti-reverse bearing has maybe 8 bearings in it? I’ll try to crack it open tomorrow and start investigating.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate you all reaching out

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:21 pm

All good mango, we learn as well.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:32 pm

I had a similar issue with my Z2020, it ended up being a bad bearing in the upper pinion support

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:19 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:32 pm
I had a similar issue with my Z2020, it ended up being a bad bearing in the upper pinion support
=D>

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:35 am

Sorry for taking so long. I was able to get the reel taken apart this morning and check on all the things you guys have told me to look at. The route of all this drama ended up being the pinion support bearing(the one under the CC knob). Thank you doomtrprz71 for sharing!

The bearing was completely seized up. I was able to free up a lot of rust from the inside with a soak in some Isopropyl Alcohol and a little tough love to spin the bearing. Makes me wonder what this reel went through before I got it. I guess I should replace all the bearings, since it likely saw a lot of salt water and was never cleaned.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:50 pm

trav wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:35 am
Sorry for taking so long. I was able to get the reel taken apart this morning and check on all the things you guys have told me to look at. The route of all this drama ended up being the pinion support bearing(the one under the CC knob). Thank you doomtrprz71 for sharing!

The bearing was completely seized up. I was able to free up a lot of rust from the inside with a soak in some Isopropyl Alcohol and a little tough love to spin the bearing. Makes me wonder what this reel went through before I got it. I guess I should replace all the bearings, since it likely saw a lot of salt water and was never cleaned.
Damn, that speaks well as to the toughness of the reel IMO.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:59 am

trav wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:35 am

Glad you got it fixed, my z2020 stays in salt as well but it gets cleaned yearly

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:11 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Life has been a little chaotic lately. I ordered all new bearings minus the spool and side plate, and finally got to crack open the reel again. Doing so, I found 2 more rusty bearings.

With the new bearings in, I got to test the reel last night after work and…. It casts and reels like a dream. Legit feels new. Thank you again to everyone who shared their opinions and experiences with me.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:00 pm

trav wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:11 pm
Sorry for the late reply. Life has been a little chaotic lately. I ordered all new bearings minus the spool and side plate, and finally got to crack open the reel again. Doing so, I found 2 more rusty bearings.

With the new bearings in, I got to test the reel last night after work and…. It casts and reels like a dream. Legit feels new. Thank you again to everyone who shared their opinions and experiences with me.
Good stuff mango...I love the Z2020 reels, I used mine this morning and smacked a 21" 4.25 largie on a full-size Buzzjet. As a matter of fact, the three biggest largies I have caught in TN have been on one of my Z2020H reels.