Daiwa Pixy / Pixilla Drag Star Options

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Pixy / Pixilla Drag Star Options

Post by trav » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:49 pm

Before I get thrown to the wolves on this, I’ve searched here and didn’t find anything on the matter.

I have a new Gomexus Star Drag, for Daiwa is all the package says. Looking only, it lists a lot of newer Daiwa reels it’s compatible with. I got it for my Pixilla build. My problem is, the star isn’t threaded like older drag stars. And it’s got a square cut out of the back, similar to a Shimano star. With the new Alphas drive shaft, do I have enough room on it to still use this star, or do I need to find something else to use? If so, what options do I have for a LH Pixilla?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Pixy / Pixilla Drag Star Options

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:00 pm

Any that are the screw on style, not spring loaded. Have you upgraded to a clicking drag? You can't use some of them with a flat handle though.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:29 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:00 pm
Any that are the screw on style, not spring loaded. Have you upgraded to a clicking drag? You can't use some of them with a flat handle though.
Yeah I updated to a clicking drag

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 pm

The px-r drag star looks nice on almost any reel. I'm sure there's a few floating around from guys who replaced them with colored slp/hedgehog/rays stars. Any of the Steez stars will work, up to the models before the latest version. Bear in mind that you will also need an acorn style cc cap with the clicking star conversion.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:43 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 pm
The px-r drag star looks nice on almost any reel. I'm sure there's a few floating around from guys who replaced them with colored slp/hedgehog/rays stars. Any of the Steez stars will work, up to the models before the latest version. Bear in mind that you will also need an acorn style cc cap with the clicking star conversion.
Thank you. I got the correct Cast Control cap with the kit I bought. I was just unaware that the newer Daiwas had a square nut under the drag star.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:36 pm

The old Zillion drag stars will work as well. Little bigger than the PXR and Steez stars, but I really like them on smaller reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:21 am

trav wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:43 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:10 pm
Thank you. I got the correct Cast Control cap with the kit I bought. I was just unaware that the newer Daiwas had a square nut under the drag star.
Yes, the newer daiwa reels have the square nut and a spring under a non-threaded star, much like Shimano reels have done for several years before that. Of you can find them, the steez ex drag star that is painted gloss black loos nice, as well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:18 am

trav wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:49 pm
Before I get thrown to the wolves on this, I’ve searched here and didn’t find anything on the matter.

I have a new Gomexus Star Drag, for Daiwa is all the package says. Looking only, it lists a lot of newer Daiwa reels it’s compatible with. I got it for my Pixilla build. My problem is, the star isn’t threaded like older drag stars. And it’s got a square cut out of the back, similar to a Shimano star. With the new Alphas drive shaft, do I have enough room on it to still use this star, or do I need to find something else to use? If so, what options do I have for a LH Pixilla?
The Gomexus star needs the nut and spring type factory star to work. I'm not sure those can be retrofitted to a Pixy/Alphas. The Daiwa threaded stars in both short and long arm work with the reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:20 am

Also the DIY carbon stars to Abu reels will also work but you need an Abu clicker and a shim. A member here already did the conversion when the Daiwa Aliexpress carbon stars dried up.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:33 am

The Gomexus star drag works and looks pretty good on this. I had to order a square nut and a spring from Daiwa, from a Steez SVTW1016, and everything lines up.
Attachments
IMG_3428.jpeg
IMG_3428.jpeg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 4315 times

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:24 am

trav wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:33 am
The Gomexus star drag works and looks pretty good on this. I had to order a square nut and a spring from Daiwa, from a Steez SVTW1016, and everything lines up.
Looks good Trav. Did you have enough range of adjustment using this star?

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:24 am
trav wrote:
Yes sir. I’m able to back the drag off completely

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:37 pm

trav wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
trav wrote:
Outstanding! I know in some cases it can be difficult to get a full range of adjustment when installing a newer star with the older reels that take the threaded star designs

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:46 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:37 pm
trav wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
trav wrote:
Outstanding! I know in some cases it can be difficult to get a full range of adjustment when installing a newer star with the older reels that take the threaded star designs
Good to know. This makes sense; the shaft for the clicking drag star conversion is extra long, and the thin black square nut from the steez is very thin compared to the brass square nuts on other reels.

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:57 am

trav wrote:
Hi
Do we need to swap out the drive shaft ? Or we can use the stock shaft ?
Will this work on sol/alphas also ?
Thanx